The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
10-01-2013 10:45 AM
88 ... 234
tools
    Sony have now gone out publicly with some FUD regarding the 1020. In fact, they are advertising heavily in the UK that the Z1 has the best smartphone camera they back that claim by having some research conducted, comparing the Z1 with the 1020, 925, iPhone 5, S4 and HTC One. You can see the pictures and the results of the participant group here:Xperia
    Guess what? 1020 is the worst of the bunch by a massive margin! Not only worse than the Z1, but also worse than the 925, HTC One, S4 and iPhone 5. And even worse: on the basis of the comparison pictures, that's probably a fair assessment.

However, owning the 1020 I have to contest those results. I've had the phone for about a week now (and I had the 925 for several months before that), have been using it lots to take pictures and I can't even imagine how you are supposed to produce results of such mediocre quality. As an example, having set everything on auto, I can catch a car moving at a decent speed with no blur. Even if I don't give the phone time to focus properly, I still get no blur. The picture they've taken of a model train (which is moving far slower than a car) looks like something my HD7 would have produced, but not my Lumia 1020. I am scratching my head how they came up with those "1020 pictures". Defective unit, old software maybe? Or somebody behind the camera too incompetent to press the camera button properly?
    09-16-2013 12:24 PM
    09-17-2013 12:33 AM
    Given the fact that the Z1 is not clearly betting the Lumia 925 in this short low light study, it's quite obvious that it won't beat the 1020 as the 1020/808 beats the 925 by a significant amount. Here you can discuss which take on the White balance is better, but it's not resolving more details for example.

[Gallery] Sony Xperia Z1 and Nokia Lumia 925: Low-light photography comparison – UnleashThePhones
    LastBattle likes this.
    09-17-2013 12:48 AM
    Wow, someone took the pictures of the Strategy Analytics study and made a video out of them. Still doesn't change the fact that those pictures are so poor that I can't believe they stem from a 1020.
    09-17-2013 05:38 AM
    IM not talking about phone cameras. The Lumia 1020 and the z1 are real camera technology put into phones. You can draw up conspiracies and fanboyisms all day. Sony has been making public pleasing cameras for a very long time. Now its subjective whether you like the Z1's to the Nokia's camera. I like the Nokia's but more than likely I will be in the minority. Nokia has and probably always will put great camera technology into their products.
    A camera's a camera. When Sony releases the Xperia Z, especially with a tagline like "the best of Sony", it puts its reputation on the line. No point arguing whether the Xperia Z is a "phone camera" or Xperia Z1 is a "real camera". Both are Sony's flagship smartphones (of which Z1 is the successor). When the Xperia Z's camera is worst-in-class, it damages Sony's brand.

My point in bringing up the Z is to provide a counter-example to the mantra that "Sony makes great cameras" that its fanboys like to bring up no matter what the situation.

Latest example: When GSMArena quotes some unknown website (tbreak), showing blurry photos from 1020 and much better quality from Z. It doesn't matter if there was smudge on the 1020's lens, rather than expressing cautious skepticism, Sony-sheeple swamped the forums, nearly all saying the same thing:"move aside Nokia, Sony KNOWS HOW TO MAKE GREAT CAMERAS". Of course we now know the opposite is true after that website published an updated comparison done by a professional photographer. Too bad GSMArena conveniently closed the forum to spare these sheeple the embarrassment.

When Sony released that suspicious "paid-for independent study" showing 1020's image to be totally under-exposed, while the Z1 was the only one correctly exposed, again the Sony-sheeple came out in full force with that tired old mantra "Sony makes great cameras".

Nevermind that the 1020's images are strangely at odds with what is generally known about the device. Come on, with max ISO up to 4000, OIS, max shutter speed at 4 seconds (reasonably hand-holdable up to 0.5 - 1 second), aperture at f2.2, and that black image is all this "independent reviewer" can do? There are so many ways that such studies can be manipulated. Especially if financial motives are involved, after all, that so-called independent company must be aware that if their study shows 1020 being the best and Z1 being the worst, that study will (obviously) never be published, right? Heck, even I can make a DSLR look bad if I wanted to. Oh darn, my fingers just stained my DSLR lens! If you think that company won't risk its reputation, just bing that company's name, apparently they've been involved in some controversies before. And there is no consequence for dishonesty in the Age of Sheep, where emotional buying takes precedence over rationality, where lies if repeated many times get accepted as the truth, and when that dishonesty is eventually exposed it doesn't matter anymore because everybody is distracted by the next new exciting tech news.

Sony's sheeple mentality is nearly as entrenched as those from Apple's. It makes a broad assumption that Sony used to make good cameras therefore every camera made by Sony must be good. Sony supplies sensors to many camera manufacturers therefore it must have the best camera.

The obvious problem is, if Sony supplies sensors to Apple, Samsung, HTC, Nokia, then why was Xperia Z's camera worse than all of them? Was it because Sony sold the best sensors to competitors and reserved the worst ones for its own cameras? Hmm maybe that makes perfect sense considering its fanbase mentality.....

I'm not saying Sony doesn't make good cameras. I'm only objecting to the hype-to-quality ratio which is disproportionately high for Sony which results in fanboys making broad statements (variations of "Sony makes good cameras/sensors") without applying critical thinking. If a study is flawed, it is flawed period, don't cover it up by saying "Sony does make good cameras". I have a less charitable view of Sony's "paid-for independent study" - to me, that study, cloaked by semblance of independence and analytical seriousness, is potentially downright dishonest, borderline fraudulent, and it makes me question Sony's integrity.
    EvilFiek and LastBattle like this.
    09-17-2013 06:56 AM
    There is something wrong with the sensor on this thing.. I am hoping GSMarena got a defective unit, but it seems like its hard for it to separate color, not to mention the noise levels. Those 808 crops are from full resolution..

Katsy One likes this.
    09-20-2013 11:38 AM
    Defenitly 1020 is far better than Z1. Design of Z1 is s**t.. :P
    LastBattle likes this.
    09-21-2013 06:34 AM
    studio comp here .. against the xperia Z

iPhone 5s Studio Comparison: Digital Photography Review
    Last edited by vlad0; 09-23-2013 at 04:55 AM.
    09-22-2013 08:04 PM
    The level of detail in z1, even compared to I5 is like, cow ****.
    09-23-2013 01:17 AM
    I messed up.. this isn't the z1, just the z
    09-23-2013 04:54 AM
    I messed up.. this isn't the z1, just the z
    I replace cow carp with crow carp then.
    N8 produced more cooler pictures actually.
    09-23-2013 05:56 AM
    The following link is to Steven Alvarez's review of the 1020. He is a professional photographer from the National Geographic.
    National Geographic - Nokia
    No comment on the 1020's camera as I haven't even seen the phone. But that link is clearly sponsored by Nokia so the whole thing is just an advert. Complelely worthless as evidence one way or the other.
    09-23-2013 08:15 AM
    Here's some photo taken with the Sony Xperia Z One in Singapore a minute ago.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...2390568&type=1

Certainly, the third one looks great. However a closer look at it reveals that its just a tiny 720x405 pixel photo to conceal the flaws in the photo.
    There's also a yellow hue on lights that are supposed to be white.
    Based on the cars, its likely that the photo was taken with EV bumped up, 200~800 ISO, and probably 1 second shutter.

If under conditions like the indoor on the fourth one couldn't be taken well, how would it fare for most consumers out there who doesn't know photography?

I'm afraid the Xperia Z One is simply on par with Lumia 925, its far from 1020.
    Last edited by LastBattle; 10-01-2013 at 10:59 AM.
    10-01-2013 10:45 AM
88 ... 234