Sony Experia Z1 vs Lumia 1020 - Z1 Better?

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Z1 is not actually any better. Take a look at these comparisons.

Camera comparison: how do the Sony Xperia Z1 and LG G2 fare against the competition? - Recombu

View attachment 42683

It looks like Sony is trying to manipulate the results and hypes of the phone.

View attachment 42682

I almost LOLed on the S4 photo, maybe one can wave their hand in the air (Gesture control if you know what I mean) to get rid of the darkness curtain :p.
I don't know who was paid to do these photos, whoever was did a bad job.

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a 920 now (former iphone4s) and I had saw the deal on the older Z and now see the Z1. I kind of want to try it. never having android before I am not sure what I'm getting myself into though. I've always liked Sony gear and the specs look really nice for the Z1. Plus I have tons of Sony Reward points to use so hopefully could get it with a nice discount.

I'm still on the fence though. I love my 920 and the windows phone but a few things disappoint and this Z1 caught my eye.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I have a 920 now (former iphone4s) and I had saw the deal on the older Z and now see the Z1. I kind of want to try it. never having android before I am not sure what I'm getting myself into though. I've always liked Sony gear and the specs look really nice for the Z1. Plus I have tons of Sony Reward points to use so hopefully could get it with a nice discount.

I'm still on the fence though. I love my 920 and the windows phone but a few things disappoint and this Z1 caught my eye.

I am not sure what I'm getting myself into - Crow Crap, that's the word I use for android ;).
Of course it has its own pros and cons but am very much happy with wp8 (Former Android user after haggling on many flagships)

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Hey, the Z1 may have a fantastic camera. By all accounts, it does. But from what I hear, the 1020 is just plain that much better.

Besides, it is WP. Certain segments will spend months looking for the Android to knock it off. It was the same when the iPhone had the best camera, which it did for truly a very long time. There was always an Android "iPhone killer" with the camera to dethrone it. Of course, it didn't, but Android seems to breed a small group of defensive Android-supporting writers. The 1020 is just an amazing piece of tech.

I must've missed this memo...when exactly did the iPhone have the best camera? It can't be any time recently as the 920, 808 and N8 are just 3 devices that are hands down better than the iPhone for taking photos.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Both are very good IMO. I think Android users will be very happy to get the Z1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wvO1H3sOaI

2.35/36, they didn't even bother removing that LOL.

Seriously, would you carry a phone that has a mind blasting camera or a phone that needs a jacket on it to attach a umm i donno if its mind shaking camera?

So I wanna take the pictures of a cute baby, let me see if I can take it quickly with a L1020 or that lens thing without losing the moment or breaking anything on the phone and yes, without that error shown in the video :D

LastBattle

May 26, 2012
Visit site

Seriously, would you carry a phone that has a mind blasting camera or a phone that needs a jacket on it to attach a umm i donno if its mind shaking camera?

So I wanna take the pictures of a cute baby, let me see if I can take it quickly with a L1020 or that lens thing without losing the moment or breaking anything on the phone and yes, without that error shown in the video :D

Typical Android.. I've had enough of Asus Transformer and Nexus 7. I will never buy anymore Android again.

Yeah, performance is freaking good when you first open it. Over the time frame of just weeks, it starts to head south.
Lags everywhere, crashes here and there.. just annoying.

I thought Google would do a better job than Asus with Nexus 7 (pure stock android), it just failed big time.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
How much is that lens going to cost?? Its hardly a fair comparison of the two cameras when you have to buy a massive lens for the Sony to get the most out of it.

He did compare the phone cameras too, I think both look very good albeit 1020 has the advantage of Pro Cam app and reframing and few more things. I want Nokia to slightly reduce the saturation levels in auto mode.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Hey,
I think he was just showing that module. Getting the qx100 is much slower than taking a pic on a 1020 camera but he does show off both the cameras at the end.

I still think QX10 and QX100 are too much of a hassle, I mean wasn't the whole point of smartphone camera just to pull it out and shoot. I don't want to connect to the module, then take a shot.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't think Sony have really thought this through.

Can everyone remember the furore that accompanied the 920 on it's release? Opponents criticised the bulkiness and the weight.

The Z1 weighs in at 170g and the QX100 required a set of industrial scales and a forklift truck for its weigh in of 179g. You can probably put those numbers together and using a method called long addition, you can calculate the total weight of those items. However, to save you a few hours, I've done the maths for you.

The combined weight of the phone and lens comes to a whopping 6.74 metric tonnes! It's hard to believe I know especially as the calculator on my 920 works it out as 349g but it is running WP8 so I know which calculation I trust.

Now, all joking aside, I wonder what kind of critical reception the Z1 and QX100 will receive considering the total weight? This is before you consider the ?399 price tag of the QX100.

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Typical Android.. I've had enough of Asus Transformer and Nexus 7. I will never buy anymore Android again.

Yeah, performance is freaking good when you first open it. Over the time frame of just weeks, it starts to head south.
Lags everywhere, crashes here and there.. just annoying.

I thought Google would do a better job than Asus with Nexus 7 (pure stock android), it just failed big time.

Then the Asus T100 running Win 8.1 should be your next ticket :smile:

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I fully expect the QX100 to outperform the 1020. I just don't know if the extra size, weight, cost and overall inconvenience is going to be that popular given how much everyone chastised the 920 for its weight.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Oh no, If I was an android ****** and purchased this module thing day 1 on its launched and here I go to take snappy pictures.

Here's how it'd go through,

11.00 AM - Am walking down the lane with my module in the bag and phone in hand waiting for something to happen
11.05 AM - I reach home, nothing happens, am sad.
11.08 AM - I wake up my niece (just a year old, who is sleeping peacefully), she wakes up with a smile
11.08.02 AM - I take out my phone to take the photo, oh wait I missed that lens thing
11.09 AM- I run towards my bag to get that module
11.11 AM - I am back to the baby and just about to take the photo, oh wait where's that jacket that connects the phone to the lens thingy?
11.12 AM - God where did I put it?
11.13 AM - Oh its in the bag, front pocket
11.15 AM - All fixed, let me fire this up
"CAMERA APP HAS CRASHED!"
11.16 AM - God, let me try again
11.16.59 AM - It fires up

Bummer, baby starts to scream like a 1600cc Engine at 11.16.40 AM!!, the baby hands me a Lumia 1020 and goes back to sleep ;)

Mio_WP

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I fully expect the QX100 to outperform the 1020. I just don't know if the extra size, weight, cost and overall inconvenience is going to be that popular given how much everyone chastised the 920 for its weight.

Well. I have a Lumia 920 and a Sony Cybershot RX-100 (which this QX-100 is based on.)

So I guess i'm covered.

Seriously the RX100/QX-100 is mindblowing, but it is not a phone.... It is a camera! And one without viewfinder/screen to top it off.

I love My RX-100, it is just about DSLR quality packed in a compact body. But I don't have it on me all the time like I do with my L920.

And once again - The best camera is the one You have with You!

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I have a 920 now (former iphone4s) and I had saw the deal on the older Z and now see the Z1. I kind of want to try it. never having android before I am not sujust look at the situation what I'm getting myself into though. I've always liked Sony gear just look at the specs look really nice for the Z1. Plus I have tons of Sony Reward points to use so hopefully could get it with a nice discount.

Being a current Android owner I can answer your question. you will have tons of "eye candy", just look at live wallpapers. ( the ability to customize your user interface is unmatched by any OS, ( personalisation abilities are endless...but Android is a little behind windows interns of smoothness and responsiveness but still noticeably inferior when compared to ios and Windows in this regard, perhaps you might get an Android that is so close to Windows in this aspect but it is very uncommon/rear, but does exist.

As for reliability, Android falls very short (one reason im switching to Windows), Android devices generally age much faster than ios (not sure about Windows), what I mean buy age is that you start to experience problems that you didn't experience in the first 6 months of owning the device. Also there are so many inferior quality apps on Google play, then there are those apps that have poor compatibility with only your device (the disadvantage of having so many versions of hardware, UI overlays and manufacture settings-Android has many manufacturers so this is common)

But after you have "reviewed" 10 000 apps on your device, you can choose all the remaining apps that work on your device.

A major advantage is Android has a massive number of apps that increase buy about 107 new apps per second. It's a large ecosystem that is possibly bigger than ios.

if you are willing to accept Androids shortcomings then it is a fantastic choice for you, you wont find anything like it.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
^The problem with android apps is that,
You pay Google 25 bucks one time, offload any and every kind of app, Google is not bothered to check whats in them until they receive complaints (which is too late).

Compare this with IOS and WP, they require you to pay a yearly fee and manually review everything (Atleast Apple does) before making it public.

Have been using wp8 since April, still doesn't lag anywhere, except for whatsapp at random times (maybe once a day or so), because whatsapp people don't give a D about updating wp version.

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the informative Reply StaleMate.

Something about the Z1 is just catching my eye. I miss the All glass/metal frame of my iphone with it's sharp corners/edges and such and I see that in the Sony. I have an Ipad mini so I still have the apple experience for Apps/Games but since its only wifi it's not good everywhere i need it. I don't own a laptop or anything so it's my main PC for home browsing/emails etc.

My first 920 had to be replaced due to wireless charging issues which Nokia did an awesome job taking care of me there but just in the time I've had the 920 the back is all scratched up and there are fine scratches all over of the screen. This never happened to my 4 and 4s and i had those there full contract cycles (2 years each) They looked brand new the day i sold them. The 920 is even in a gel case. Software wise I really enjoy the Windows ecosystem minus a couple apps I wish it had but hopefully in the next few upates (if AT&T ever releases them for us) Then i'm sure it will be more solid.

Once the Z1 comes out to be purchased I'll make my choice then. I do think I am ready for a change and the Z1 is the only one that's jumping out to me in terms of looks, quality and performance. :)

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the informative Reply StaleMate.

Something about the Z1 is just catching my eye. I miss the All glass/metal frame of my iphone with it's sharp corners/edges and such and I see that in the Sony. I have an Ipad mini so I still have the apple experience for Apps/Games but since its only wifi it's not good everywhere i need it. I don't own a laptop or anything so it's my main PC for home browsing/emails etc.

My first 920 had to be replaced due to wireless charging issues which Nokia did an awesome job taking care of me there but just in the time I've had the 920 the back is all scratched up and there are fine scratches all over of the screen. This never happened to my 4 and 4s and i had those there full contract cycles (2 years each) They looked brand new the day i sold them. The 920 is even in a gel case. Software wise I really enjoy the Windows ecosystem minus a couple apps I wish it had but hopefully in the next few upates (if AT&T ever releases them for us) Then i'm sure it will be more solid.

Once the Z1 comes out to be purchased I'll make my choice then. I do think I am ready for a change and the Z1 is the only one that's jumping out to me in terms of looks, quality and performance. :)

To be specific, the Android I own is the HTC EVO 3D (yes it does have a built in camera that can capture 3D photos and videos.) anyway...back to the point, according to the android community, HTC is a "bad" make and to be fair I only started to experience issues after doing an update by (OTA-over the air update). so either my HTC is terrible or the update to ics (android 4.0.3) is not completely compatible with the device. If you get the Z1 be sure to check with people who have already updated to the latest os and used it on that very device for at least a week or two, before you update anything. This will make you aware of compatibility issues and bugs with the update. That may have very well been my mistake.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss