Annoying Woman from a famous site reviews Lumia 1020 .. irks people off including me

Status
Not open for further replies.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
why not call for her job someone like her has no business in that field of work.

I won't. The business sense IMHO - She might serve the iOS community well. She said that she uses iPhone as her primary device and she might be a valuable asset to c\net in other areas. I don't think we have any right to call for anyone's job :D.

Correct information and Proper treatment is all I need.

chocka

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I am going to call out Daniel on this article.

2) If facebook is built in and so obvious, why is it not in her sharing options? Why is new user not guided on to the sign-in screen? Don't call her out... most users will have the same confusion. She took and photo and sees an option there for sharing. She click on it and sees limited options. MS never did good on the promise on centralized sharing. user is never given an hint that there might be apps that share this stuff. Don't blame the user here.
After I snap a picture, iphone will list options to share? I thought you need to install facebook app to share in facebook even in iphone. Does iphone prompt for facebook app after taking a snap? I am confused with your reasoning. So iphone is at fault for not listing out all the options available after the photo is taken? I think it doesn't even list a single option for sharing. Having different user interface doesn't equal to 'cannot post to facebook'. That is silly.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I won't. The business sense IMHO - She might serve the iOS community well. She said that she uses iPhone as her primary device and she might be a valuable asset to c\net in other areas. I don't think we have any right to call for anyone's job :D.

Correct information and Proper treatment is all I need.

I call for part of her job.

She should be banned from reviewing products that she is not even remotely knowledgeable about. She has shown that she will not take the time and effort necessary to educate herself before speaking to an audience while representing her CNET.

Lucidlore

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
No, I've made no such assumption. Maybe she'd get by just fine, or maybe she'd be even more stymied than she is by Windows Phone. I don't know. It's not relevant to my point, which is that Microsoft needs to make things easier for the average person trying to accomplish typical tasks. Most people don't want to have to go through a learning curve to use their phone or anything else for that matter. When they fail at something and get frustrated, they will blame the phone manufacturer, OS maker, or anyone else they can think of. They won't say to themselves "well, I just need to learn more about this". Judging by many posts in these forums, there are plenty of people who try Windows Phone, quickly get frustrated, and then they're gone forever. And for every one of those people that posted on the forum, there are probably a hundred or a thousand more that didn't bother to seek out a forum and ask for help.

If the platform is to be successful and competitive, it will require substantial improvement. The Windows Phone designers seemed to recognize this at first, but they've failed to execute and follow up on this critical need - to identify common usage scenarios, find out what the stumbling points are, and eliminate them. There are countless examples throughout the OS.

Anyway, I hope the Windows Phone OS designers are getting more out of reviews like this than the community is. If their reaction is like that of most people here, the platform is surely doomed.

I don't really understand where you're pulling your point from. The woman is a freaking Executive Editor of a technology website. She isn't the average "stupid" user (at least I hope not). Plenty of lay people have windows phones and plenty of them have easily figured out how to share and post facebook/instagram photos. The fact that an executive editor of Cnet was unable to do so, and actually had the gall to pass her misinformation off as fact, doesn't mean that wp8 was so poorly designed that "stupid" users couldn't use it -- it means she's incompetent at her job.

jedi12

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
cant nokia or microsoft sue her ***? i mean giving opinions is one thing, but giving false information is another issue...

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I am going to call out Daniel on this article.

Are they from the same person?

The language of the article and the tone of this thread has been so aggressive and defensive. I really do not understand why do you have to be so defensive about other reviewer's opinions?

She makes some valid concerns from the point of view of an average user. Daniel is attacking these points and calling her amateur!

1) 41 megapixel is a novelty. They don't even exist outside nokia's apps. The whole zoom advantage is false. Digital zoom is a marketing gimmick. 5 mega pixel photo from a 5 mega pixel camera and 5 mega pixel cropped photo from 41 mega pixel camera are never the same quality. We can go into a very technical discussions here but I will avoid that. Most users are looking for a WYSIWYG camera. iPhone does it very good!

2) If facebook is built in and so obvious, why is it not in her sharing options? Why is new user not guided on to the sign-in screen? Don't call her out... most users will have the same confusion. She took and photo and sees an option there for sharing. She click on it and sees limited options. MS never did good on the promise on centralized sharing. user is never given an hint that there might be apps that share this stuff. Don't blame the user here.

3) Instagram is absent... it is not there. We have clients, but not instagram. She did not lie.

4) She showed in the video how long it took for her to start the camera and how much delay was present between her clicking and the photo being saved. Why are you so mad at her.. she experienced what she did and she showed it on the video. iPhone did not fail her. It takes fast photos without you having to open a different camera app. All normal users are experiencing what she did. It is shameful for a phone that's selling point is the camera.

5) She’d rather “…have a phone with a great camera that can do everything like the iPhone” instead of a phone “with a really great camera that can’t do much else”... what is wrong with it? she is not allowed to have a personal preference? it not even personal.. it is a really honest statement. dpreview.com also rated iphone camera to be just under 1020 camera. iPhone has many more apps. She made a very fair statement. not in our favor, but very fair.

I would rather write an editorial and slam Nokia and Microsoft for not taking proper advantage of the hardware.

ehmmm... Im not going to reply to all your comment becuase honestly I dont have time and I dont care what you said.

BUT i have to point out, that SHE ALREADY USED THE OS. 2 years ago, someone named Brandom Watson that worked for Windows Phone, gave her Windows Phone 7 (which Works exactly like Windows phone 8 in the sharing part, and its well... its just similar to WP8 in most things).

please next time research a Little, im sorry but you are just being ignorant. since SHE ALREADY used the OS, she had it for 2 weeks. she was dumb, she never tried to learn how to use the OS, all her amazing "review" was lie after lie after lie. and she finished with "we need apps so I don't like it because I need word with friends" and everytime she doesn't know something she thinks "there must be an app for it". how is possible that she used the OS for 2 weeks, that she is into technology and phones but don't even know how to share?
I guess now you can make reviews without even trying to learn how to use the phone she is going to review? she did that 2 years ago, when she talked dumb stuff and crap, and lies about Windows Phone. with her typical "please help me, message me so I learn how to use X feature, if Windows Phone have it" a lot of people told her, her mistakes and she still didn't even care what the readers told to her about Windows Phone.

I don't care if you like the girl, and you fap to her pics. but saying Microsoft should make a tutorial how to share because someone who already used the OS, took 2 days to find the app list (when it was a nice arrow in the top of the screen) only because she is so dumb she doesn't even try to read about the OS she is reviewing? is so hard to use google and bing to find out if whatever you are going to talk its true or not?? its not like the review was live, she could easily check if the info she was giving was correct or not.

but of course, lets not blame her /s

again, please research... and try to understand Molly Wood, she doesn't read what she is reviewing about and then talk crap and lies and give wrong information about what she is supposed to know, as a person who works with phones and technology. wow.... I wish my job would allow me to do that, do my job, but not to do it right because I don't know how to and I do everything wrong but "lets blame the company or my job for not explaining me" not myself for not trying to learn a software I have to use /s.

there was a reason this video was made by a nice guy.
Carl Camera's Response to Molly Wood's critique of Windows Phone 7 - YouTube

of course lets not blame or call Molly wood dumb its all Microsoft fault for not making the OS for stupid people, even though she works with phones and technology and is supposed to know what she is talking about. but no no, its Microsoft fault /s

my last words in this long message (yeah it turned out to be long). if SHE doesn't WANT to learn about Windows Phone, why does she even touch it if she DOESNT care about trying to at least browse about it? if you don't care about it, don't touch it and ignore it and don't talk lies and crap about it. END

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't really understand where you're pulling your point from. The woman is a freaking Executive Editor of a technology website. She isn't the average "stupid" user (at least I hope not). Plenty of lay people have windows phones and plenty of them have easily figured out how to share and post facebook/instagram photos. The fact that an executive editor of Cnet was unable to do so, and actually had the gall to pass her misinformation off as fact, doesn't mean that wp8 was so poorly designed that "stupid" users couldn't use it -- it means she's incompetent at her job.

If she's an "Executive Editor of a technology website" (it's CNET FFS) and she can't get this stuff right, what does that say about the chances of average people trying Windows Phone for the first time? Those people are obviously the target audience of a video like this. This isn't some Ars Technica CPU microarchitecture review or SSD shootout.

And just because SOME average people have figured out how to do this stuff doesn't mean all or enough of them have. Everyone should be able to do this kind of super basic stuff. EVERYONE. They should be able to do it without hunting around in the settings, wading through the cesspool that is the app store, reading the online help, or consulting with forums or techie friends. If the OS was well designed, she should never have been able to even get into this situation where she hits "Share" and ends up with a list that doesn't even have Facebook in it, at least not without trying really hard to sabotage it.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
If she's an "Executive Editor of a technology website" (it's CNET FFS) and she can't get this stuff right, what does that say about the chances of average people trying Windows Phone for the first time? Those people are obviously the target audience of a video like this. This isn't some Ars Technica CPU microarchitecture review or SSD shootout.

And just because SOME average people have figured out how to do this stuff doesn't mean all or enough of them have. Everyone should be able to do this kind of super basic stuff. EVERYONE. They should be able to do it without hunting around in the settings, wading through the cesspool that is the app store, reading the online help, or consulting with forums or techie friends. If the OS was well designed, she should never have been able to even get into this situation where she hits "Share" and ends up with a list that doesn't even have Facebook in it, at least not without trying really hard to sabotage it.
Have you even used Windows Phone?
This stuff is EASY to figure out compared to other mobile phones.

Lucidlore

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

Sorry, you don't have a leg to stand on here. The woman is obviously knowledgeable and smart enough to operate a windows phone. You can't be serious if you are looking me in the eye and are making the argument that an Executive Editor at Cnet is too stupid to use the phone. The fact that she was unable to do something as basic as sharing a Facebook photo, means she really wasn't trying to use the phone to give an honest review.

You're saying that SOME average people have figured out how to use the phone. I call B.S. on this. MOST average people who use wp8 will figure out that, "gee, I love facebook and want to share my pictures. Let's go download the facebook ap!" Voila, problem solved. The fact that this woman can't even figure this out is mind-boggling.

chocka

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

iphone doesn't need a facebook app to post pictures? If you need to use short cuts, you learn to use short cuts. Otherwise just use the facebook app to upload. Same as ios. This is silly argument

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
"Now playing - CNET's Always On: The Black & Decker Showdown! Molly Wood discovers for the first time that toaster ovens *can* make more than toast, but is like totally lost with all of the confusing dials, flashing lights and loud DINGGGGS! Overall Molly finds her technical skills bested by the beastly toastmaster, but has to give it an overall poor review since it burnt her Apple.

NEXT WEEK ON CNET: MOLLY SHOWS US HOW TO REMOVE BUTTER FROM A SMARTPHONE SCREEN AFTER RECEIVING A FACEBOOK TOAST NOTIFICATION AND TRYING TO EAT HER PHONE"

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site

It says she's not as bright as the average person when it comes to this stuff. She wasn't asked to figure out a way to side load Android apps. Finding, installing, and using apps from an app store is not unreasonable, nor is it foreign to her. I doubt she only uses native functionality on her iphone, never venturing into non-native apps.

I agree, we should always strive for a better, more functional, efficient and intuitive OS. I would have had no issue with her saying everything that you said, but that's not what happened. Instead of pointing out how unintuitive or inconvenient it is to share with Facebook or Instagram, she simply stated it cannot be done, which is incorrect.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Apparently even you staunch defenders of Windows Phone don't know that you don't even need to download the Facebook app to share photos on Facebook on Windows Phone. All you need to do to is add your Facebook account under Settings, email+accounts. The OS even mentions Facebook specifically in the description of email+accounts in the Settings list. And the online help tries to explain it, not that the average person would bother to read it:
Take, edit, and share photos and videos | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

If Ms. Wood had bothered to go into the settings and add her Facebook account, Facebook would've shown up in the Share list and it would've been impossible for her to make such a stupid claim. But guess what, she didn't do that. We know she didn't because in her video the camera showed the Share list without Facebook in it.

So then, why didn't she ever add her Facebook account? Is it a conspiracy to discredit Windows Phone? Unlikely. She probably just wanted to use the phone without doing any of the setup that she wasn't forced to do. Again, like most average users. They don't want to pick through all of the settings or read instructions. But reviewers are actually often even worse than the average user because they just want to get their review over with and get back to using their iPhone. They have no investment, no motivation, and no intention of ever using the phone or whatever it is they're reviewing. You'd think that doing their job well could be motivation but Ms. Wood has obviously proven that is not the case for her. And she's hardly the first.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Apparently even you staunch defenders of Windows Phone don't know that you don't even need to download the Facebook app to share photos on Facebook on Windows Phone. All you need to do to is add your Facebook account under Settings, email+accounts. The OS even mentions Facebook specifically in the description of email+accounts in the Settings list. And the online help tries to explain it, not that the average person would bother to read it:

If Ms. Wood had bothered to go into the settings and add her Facebook account, Facebook would've shown up in the Share list and it would've been impossible for her to make such a stupid claim. But guess what, she didn't do that. We know she didn't because in her video the camera showed the Share list without Facebook in it.

So then, why didn't she ever add her Facebook account? Is it a conspiracy to discredit Windows Phone? Unlikely. She probably just wanted to use the phone without doing any of the setup that she wasn't forced to do. Again, like most average users. They don't want to pick through all of the settings or read instructions. But reviewers are actually often even worse than the average user because they just want to get their review over with and get back to using their iPhone. They have no investment, no motivation, and no intention of ever using the phone or whatever it is they're reviewing. You'd think that doing their job well could be motivation but Ms. Wood has obviously proven that is not the case for her. And she's hardly the first.

Except she setup Twitter.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it is strange that she set up Twitter but not Facebook.

Note that she could've set up Twitter by adding her Twitter account to the phone under email+accounts, or she could've downloaded the Twitter app. Either way will result in Twitter showing up in the Share list. The same is probably true for Facebook but personally I've never installed that app and don't plan to, so I don't know for sure.

Anyway, I still think it's more likely that her erroneous claim is a result of ignorance rather than malice, that many other average people would easily make the same mistake, and that it could've been avoided with a better OS design. It seems unlikely that the risk to reward ratio for her or CNET would merit doing an intentional hit piece, although it is of course possible.

chocka

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

There is Facebook app for both iphone and windows. She knows to upload through iphone app, but says windows phone cannot do it is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon