Annoying Woman from a famous site reviews Lumia 1020 .. irks people off including me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it is strange that she set up Twitter but not Facebook.

Note that she could've set up Twitter by adding her Twitter account to the phone under email+accounts, or she could've downloaded the Twitter app. Either way will result in Twitter showing up in the Share list. The same is probably true for Facebook but personally I've never installed that app and don't plan to, so I don't know for sure.

Anyway, I still think it's more likely that her erroneous claim is a result of ignorance rather than malice, that many other average people would easily make the same mistake, and that it could've been avoided with a better OS design. It seems unlikely that the risk to reward ratio for her or CNET would merit doing an intentional hit piece, although it is of course possible.

It's either malice or extreme incompetence.

This isn't rocket science.

If she was a lay person that was completely unfamiliar with all types of technology, then she'd have an excuse. But then nobody would listen to her because she wouldn't be claiming to be a technology professional.

The fact is that it's her job to figure out how to use a device that she will review. It's also her responsibility to NOT give blatantly wrong information to the public that believes her to be a technology expert.

The excuses you're making for her are mind boggling. Is this really the standard you want set for professionals? Do you support such unethical behavior? Do you believe that she is a competent tech reviewer?

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
The excuses you're making for her are mind boggling. Is this really the standard you want set for professionals? Do you support such unethical behavior? Do you believe that she is a competent tech reviewer?

No, no, and no. But I believe the mistakes she's made here are being made every day en masse by average users - her target audience in this video - and they could be largely avoided through improvements to the OS. I believe Microsoft has a responsibility to make it as hard as possible for average users to fail at the most basic tasks, they're not currently doing as good of a job as they could in this area, and hence they share some of the blame. The more they improve ease of use of the OS, the better chance they have at achieving success in the marketplace. But they need to stay with it and keep working at it. These problems are real and the competition is real. Placing 100% of the blame on this reviewer is wrong and counterproductive, in my opinion.

Lucidlore

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
No, no, and no. But I believe the mistakes she's made here are being made every day en masse by average users - her target audience in this video - and they could be largely avoided through improvements to the OS. I believe Microsoft has a responsibility to make it as hard as possible for average users to fail at the most basic tasks, they're not currently doing as good of a job as they could in this area, and hence they share some of the blame. The more they improve ease of use of the OS, the better chance they have at achieving success in the marketplace. But they need to stay with it and keep working at it. These problems are real and the competition is real. Placing 100% of the blame on this reviewer is wrong and counterproductive, in my opinion.

I don't buy it. You cite nothing but your opinion to support the notion that wp8 is any more difficult to navigate than android or ios. Explain to me what part of uploading a photo to facebook on wp8 is so much harder than doing so on, say, Android -- you still need the facebook app. Hell, back in the days i went from webos (RIP) to android, and I found android MUCH more cumbersome to navigate. Even after two years of using android, I STILL had no clue where all the options were located within the myriad of menus and sub-menus of my galaxy 2.

Ultimately, you MAY have a point -- but using a lazy reviewer to support your point wont get you anywhere. Nothing about uploading a photo to facebook on wp8 is counter intuitive. This chick didn't know how to do it -- and passed off false information to the masses due to her ignorance -- NOT because she was stupid, or because she was the "average user". She failed because she was lazy and didn't put in the diligence required of someone in her position.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

So you basically are trying to change the subject in order to deflect blame from the reviewer.

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

Here's a summary of your posts: [Scrubs] - Wrong wrong wrong wrong! - YouTube

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
So no one else noted that she was taking pictures by touching the screen? She didn't realise that she could take pictures using the camera button she woke the device up with and so don't have to wait?

This woman needs to do her research before she does the review.

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Ok, here's the good point that arkavat was right about, that you guys seem to be missing. If you want a platform to be truly successful, you need to make it so even stupid people will generally be able to do the things they want to do without too much trouble. If you have a button in your OS that says "share", and you know your typical average user is probably going to want to share it on Facebook, and you don't put Facebook in the list, you - the OS creator - have failed. Somewhere along the line this woman should have been prompted to provide her Facebook login info. Even if she declined, she should still have the option to share via Facebook - and when she chooses it, then she gets prompted to provide her Facebook login info.

It's called making your product ***** proof. This is what you need in order to get mainstream adoption when the user has a choice.

It's EASY to blame end users as being idiots, uninformed, biased, etc. But almost all the time, the most fault truly lies in the product. It's better to design your product so that those users can't help but succeed in spite of themselves. But it takes a strong will indeed to sweep aside all of the technical and sometimes political forces that conspire against this.

if you have used a windows phone, then you must have seen the prompt to ntegrate the accounts.. just dont be blind.
the Peoples Hub asks for the integration.. just check yourself.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
My hatred for Apple is getting higher, it's nearly as high as my hatred for Google.

Apple will manage to alienate customers, by saying that they were the first to make bright coloured phones. And they'll be sending the pay checks to pro-Apple tech sites.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
It's almost as if she was paid by another company to pass on incorrect information in the hope that it would damage sales and decrease competition for another brand.

It's a good job we live in a time when integrity and facts outweighs bias, politics and corruption in the media otherwise that video could be deemed inflammatory.

Now, let me get back to the news to see how the US is saving the world this week.....

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
ROFL. I've gotten about 30 mention notifications from twitter in the last 24 hours, as it seems many people are including my twitter conversation, and my twitter handle, in replies to the reviewer. Before the WPCentral article came out, I had a short twitter conversation with the reviewer about the fb/ig sharing, as I felt the same way as everyone else here. I even posted a screenshot of my photo sharing screen to show her FB, 6tag, and others. I even got one guy on twitter who asked if sharing photos was so difficult how did I share the screenshot, as if I was involved in the "review". Got to love twitter...

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
ROFL. I've gotten about 30 mention notifications from twitter in the last 24 hours, as it seems many people are including my twitter conversation, and my twitter handle, in replies to the reviewer. Before the WPCentral article came out, I had a short twitter conversation with the reviewer about the fb/ig sharing, as I felt the same way as everyone else here. I even posted a screenshot of my photo sharing screen to show her FB, 6tag, and others. I even got one guy on twitter who asked if sharing photos was so difficult how did I share the screenshot, as if I was involved in the "review". Got to love twitter...

Good grief. This is partly why I don't have an active Twitter account right now.

Plain and simple, the reviewer setup a Twitter account on the device. Whether she went and downloaded the Twitter client ? gosh, there is that word again?.official or not ? or set up the account through email and accounts is unclear. The takeaway is Twitter and Facebook have the same degree of difficulty and complexity in terms of linking those accounts to your phone. You use the native account management in Windows Phone or you download a client.
So new question ? why was one selected over the other?

In terms of making software *****-proof, how far should a developer go? Where do we draw the line as developers and tech enthusiasts and simply say ?read the facking manual? and move on to more pressing issues. My children, 6 and 10, are capable of using Windows Phone with great ease. They actually find Android to be more cumbersome to be honest, and that is not exactly a stab at Google but rather a shot against Samsung/HTC/LG for moving settings to different menus.

So let?s say there is the potential for user error linking social networks on your device. Let?s see where those potential issues are:
Let?s say you have an activated Windows Phone device. You have not yet set up a Microsoft account, you aren?t downloading apps from the marketplace so you are limited to what is installed on the device. I should mention now that if the reviewer installed Twitter, there would have been a Microsoft account attached to the device without an email account. Then the question begs to be asked, why not set up an email account to explore all the available sharing options on the Lumia 1020? Was there really an intent to showcase what the Lumia 1020 could do?

Let?s assume that since Twitter was available, Molly installed the application. Therefore there was a Microsoft account present. To setup a Microsoft account, one has to enter the accounts and email / email and accounts setting. Social Networking ? Twitter and Facebook ? are both present here.
So the official Twitter client is the first option when searching for the application to install. Under related applications, Facebook?s official client is a suggestion along with Foursquare. While there is a different UI and layout, this functionality is no different than the Android Market / Google Play Store?s suggested applications.

As Daniel mentioned in his editorial yesterday, searching for Instagram in the marketplace would have pulled up the various clients available for the service. If Molly, the reviewer, exercised the same search function for Instagram as she did with Twitter there would have been less of a case against the limited sharing capabilities of Windows Phone.

It is my opinion that this poorly conceived review only served to highlight the shortcomings of the Windows Phone platform and the Lumia 1020 itself. Even in a scathing review where the bias against a product or service is evident, the one or two things that are done right are generally mentioned. Juxtaposing an incorrect and incomplete rundown of the Lumia?s features while slamming it at the same time? I seriously question the motivation here.

kjmcintosh

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
A reviewer should know about something to review it, granted if this was someone pulled off the street and asked to review a device fair play. But no she is a tech reviewer so you have to expect better. I agree with other people here, that you cannot spoon feed everything to someone they have to learn themselves or RTFM.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
A reviewer should know about something to review it, granted if this was someone pulled off the street and asked to review a device fair play. But no she is a tech reviewer so you have to expect better. I agree with other people here, that you cannot spoon feed everything to someone they have to learn themselves or RTFM.

Look at the post above yours.

Pretty damning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss