The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
09-14-2013 08:19 AM
255 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Her job is to give accurate information in her review. Her actions mislead her customers/viewers.

Yes, an apology is in order.

Do you not believe that a person should apologize when they do a bad job do a disservice to their customers?

I see what your saying, you should apologize for blatantly lying to people but all Cnet needs to do is pull the video.
    09-11-2013 05:46 PM
    Wow is about all I can come up with. Between Molly and Lynn, CNet just isn't what it used to be. It's a dive now. I mean, seriously, they compared an iPhone 5C with a Lumia 520? You can buy 5 520's for the price of one 5C! Not only that, it probably runs almost as good! Put the 925 or 928 in there. That's more comparable - of course, you don't want the 5C to look too bad (rolling my eyes). And seriously, adding accounts, including Facebook, is right there when the user starts their experience with WP. If someone can't figure out how to login to Facebook from WP, they aren't going to succeed in Android or iPhone either. Funny how I can go to my Camera Roll, hit ellipse, select "share..." and...drum roll please...THERE's FACEBOOK! Wow! Where's my Staples Easy button?

If I was Nokia, I would publicly demand a retraction and apology from CNet on Twitter. This would force them to properly respond, and the viral nature of this would fix most of the damage, and be good publicity, much like teasing Apple.
    09-11-2013 06:34 PM
    Wow is about all I can come up with. Between Molly and Lynn, CNet just isn't what it used to be. It's a dive now. I mean, seriously, they compared an iPhone 5C with a Lumia 520? You can buy 5 520's for the price of one 5C! Not only that, it probably runs almost as good! Put the 925 or 928 in there. That's more comparable - of course, you don't want the 5C to look too bad (rolling my eyes). And seriously, adding accounts, including Facebook, is right there when the user starts their experience with WP. If someone can't figure out how to login to Facebook from WP, they aren't going to succeed in Android or iPhone either. Funny how I can go to my Camera Roll, hit ellipse, select "share..." and...drum roll please...THERE's FACEBOOK! Wow! Where's my Staples Easy button?

If I was Nokia, I would publicly demand a retraction and apology from CNet on Twitter. This would force them to properly respond, and the viral nature of this would fix most of the damage, and be good publicity, much like teasing Apple.
    Nokia are too busy releasing poster campaigns about the iPhone's new colour schemes.

Lets see how that kills Apple sales eh Nokia?

I reckon the ghost of Steve Jobs is Nokia's head of marketing and advertising.

What with the complete lack of advertising and release info in some countries for the 808 and now the 1020, there may be some truth in that statement.
    09-11-2013 06:41 PM
    What's really funny is that she's used WP before, http://news.cnet.com/8301-31322_3-20...llenge-week-1/ and she mentions setting up the FB integration. "I got the phone this weekend, and I've activated it, added Facebook integration and three Google-based e-mail accounts"
    Here is the updated link:
    Windows Phone 7 Challenge: Week 1 | Molly Rants - CNET News
    09-11-2013 06:46 PM
    Has she apologized yet?

If she hasn't, then I don't think she's been criticized enough.
    haha, I wouldn't expect an apology!
    but its funny to see and know how dumb people can be 2 years ago, she did it, and still she does it. I don't know why she is "popular" but its not for knowing about phones for sure.
    I guess some people can do their jobs without actually researching, using a search engine, and read the manual. its sad buy true!

it would be funny if she apologized but, didn't happen 2 years ago when everyone told her tips in comment section and she ignored them. and then a final review full of lies, ignorance and mistakes. and not even about %5 of what WP could do at a time.

its just make me laugh but at the same time sad, to see people like her not knowing anything but still there being watched and listened for some unknown reason I really don't know.
    09-11-2013 09:50 PM
    Yeah. I'm pretty convinced that she's just an unethical worker.
    09-11-2013 10:28 PM
    Apologised? Are you serious? It's a review of a consumer product. She didn't murder anyone.

Apologize might be the wrong word, but she should definitely post a retraction. You have to admit that, at least.

Sent from my HTC 8x using Tapatalk
    09-12-2013 02:56 AM
    I think she was correct it so many ways. The first is the anxiety of being on iPhone for so long. More than likely she is not a techie but a consumer who wants to be in reporting. If you hand the lumia 1020 to any of my family and let them use it for a day. I suspect they will say and act the same way. Is the shutter speed slow? yes it is. Is it a different operating system that would take more than a day to know how to use it? yes is does. Is it big and gangly? yes its big. Its good that people like her exist and review tech. She is a majority of tech consumers and they know apple. I don't blame her. But yes she was dead wrong in the eyes of people who know wp8.
    tgr42 likes this.
    09-12-2013 09:43 AM
    Apologised? Are you serious? It's a review of a consumer product. She didn't murder anyone.
    Do you know this for sure? Just cos she didn't do it in the video, doesn't mean she's innocent.

The truth will come out eventually :)
    09-12-2013 10:05 AM
    I think she was correct it so many ways. The first is the anxiety of being on iPhone for so long. More than likely she is not a techie but a consumer who wants to be in reporting. If you hand the lumia 1020 to any of my family and let them use it for a day. I suspect they will say and act the same way. Is the shutter speed slow? yes it is. Is it a different operating system that would take more than a day to know how to use it? yes is does. Is it big and gangly? yes its big. Its good that people like her exist and review tech. She is a majority of tech consumers and they know apple. I don't blame her. But yes she was dead wrong in the eyes of people who know wp8.
    Not just in the eyes of people who know WP8.

Wrong is wrong.

When she, as a PROFESSIONAL, makes statements about what the phone can and can't do, it'd different than if some random person does it. Her words carry weight and responsibility.

She made false statements about what the Lumia 1020 can and can't do. Period.

She can love or hate it. It doesn't matter.

Making false statements about it is irresponsible, and in her case, dishonest. She used a WP7 phone for a few weeks before. She KNOWS that Facebook uploading is built right into the OS, yet in the review she states the exact opposite as fact.

People need to remember that she's not just some random consumer. She is the tech editor for CNET.
    metalchick719 and BIGPADDY like this.
    09-12-2013 10:16 AM
    Let's face it, WP8 is way better than iPhone because you cannot multitask in ios. With Apple you can't switch apps without first going back to the home screen and launching the app every time. No way to close apps either.
    09-12-2013 10:18 AM
    Wow, I didn't know iOS sucked so bad at multitasking. No wonder it's so bad in WP as well: they copied it from iOS and tacked on a cumbersome task switcher that also doesn't let you close an app. I guess Android is the only phone OS that gets this right. At least the leaked shots of the next WP version show a way to close apps. FINALLY. Now if they could also make it faster to bring up the task switcher and make better use of screen real-estate once it's open, then it might just be decent. Oh yeah, and fix the crazy battery draining that results from leaving apps open...
    09-12-2013 10:22 AM
    Maybe you should handover your WP device to someone else, capture a video of their experience and then post comments, just saying, instead of 'suspecting' what they will think of. Professionalism in journalism is still valued and mistakes will be pointed out.
    09-12-2013 10:37 AM
    Maybe you should handover your WP device to someone else, capture a video of their experience and then post comments, just saying, instead of 'suspecting' what they will think of. Professionalism in journalism is still valued and mistakes will be pointed out.
    Journalist are just journalist and rarely know what they are talking about. They are hired for for journalistic talents and not knowing their subjects. She represents a majority of tech users.
    09-12-2013 10:43 AM
    Let's face it, WP8 is way better than iPhone because you cannot multitask in ios. With Apple you can't switch apps without first going back to the home screen and launching the app every time. No way to close apps either.
    what are you talking about? No OS is better than the other, this thread is not about which OS is better. Please stay on topic.
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    09-12-2013 10:43 AM
    Wow, I didn't know iOS sucked so bad at multitasking. No wonder it's so bad in WP as well: they copied it from iOS and tacked on a cumbersome task switcher that also doesn't let you close an app. I guess Android is the only phone OS that gets this right. At least the leaked shots of the next WP version show a way to close apps. FINALLY. Now if they could also make it faster to bring up the task switcher and make better use of screen real-estate once it's open, then it might just be decent. Oh yeah, and fix the crazy battery draining that results from leaving apps open...
    Stay on topic, please don't discuss which OS is better than other. There are separate threads for that.

Thanks
    BIGPADDY and teckris like this.
    09-12-2013 10:45 AM
    Not just in the eyes of people who know WP8.

Wrong is wrong.

When she, as a PROFESSIONAL, makes statements about what the phone can and can't do, it'd different than if some random person does it. Her words carry weight and responsibility.

She made false statements about what the Lumia 1020 can and can't do. Period.

She can love or hate it. It doesn't matter.

Making false statements about it is irresponsible, and in her case, dishonest. She used a WP7 phone for a few weeks before. She KNOWS that Facebook uploading is built right into the OS, yet in the review she states the exact opposite as fact.

People need to remember that she's not just some random consumer. She is the tech editor for CNET.
    WP8 has a chance of going from cult tech icon to the cool operating system. Its people like her that make it that way. She is a journalist and when you see a journalist reporting in a war zone, are they schooled in the art of war or reporting what they see and hear? Lets not be too fanboyish. Its what will draw people to our platform.
    tgr42 likes this.
    09-12-2013 10:49 AM
    Journalist are just journalist and rarely know what they are talking about. They are hired for for journalistic talents and not knowing their subjects. She represents a majority of tech users.
    I really wish you would stop generalizing. If you are work on hiring journalists and know first hand what happens I would accept it hands down or you have any documents to prove that this is how tech
    reporters are hired please feel free to post.

I am annoyed with her for she is mistaken in her facts, I don't know if she represents majority of the tech users.
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    09-12-2013 10:51 AM
    I really wish you would stop generalizing. If you are work on hiring journalists and know first hand what happens I would accept it hands down or you have any documents to prove that this is how tech
    reporters are hired please feel free to post.

I am annoyed with her for she is mistaken in her facts, I don't know if she represents majority of the tech users.
    I served 20 years in the army as a cavalry scout and have first hand knowledge as to how journalist work. You should stop attacking people and get some rest. No room for fanboyism in this forum. She was hired because of her looks, writing skills, and probably a degree in journalism. Get over it
    09-12-2013 10:56 AM
    I just can't believe she said "currently, the iPhone 5 is the best smartphone camera..."

Wtf??? Seriously, has she been living under a rock for the last year? Even my Nokia Lumia 920's camera is better and more capable than an iPhone 5. I thought everyone knew that...
    metalchick719 and BIGPADDY like this.
    09-12-2013 10:58 AM
    It's amazing how low your standards have fallen. You do realize that "understanding what they are reporting on" is a major part of a journalists job description. Right? That many people in journalism fail in that regard doesn't make it excusable. Journalists get paid to understand and make sense of things, that people with other jobs don't have time to research! It is their job to inform. This sorry excuse of a reviewer has done the opposite, misinform, and your willingness to excuse paid misinformation is sad.

Of course, if enough people share your attitude, then there is no reason for journalism to ever improve, as you are apparently content listening to and reading garbage.

If you expect or are content with mediocrity, that is all you will get.
    Last edited by a5cent; 09-12-2013 at 02:01 PM.
    09-12-2013 11:06 AM
    I just can't believe she said "currently, the iPhone 5 is the best smartphone camera..."

Wtf??? Seriously, has she been living under a rock for the last year? Even my Nokia Lumia 920's camera is better and more capable than an iPhone 5. I thought everyone knew that...
    This even Scrapsung s4/s3 has a better camera than iPhone 5.
    09-12-2013 11:11 AM
    I served 20 years in the army as a cavalry scout and have first hand knowledge as to how journalist work. You should stop attacking people and get some rest. No room for fanboyism in this forum. She was hired because of her looks, writing skills, and probably a degree in journalism. Get over it
    I am not attacking you , I am just asking you to state facts and stop generalizing that reporters gets hired that way. I hope you take this in good faith and again stop assuming that I am a 'fanboy' without me stating the same
    (actually I don't like the word fanboy but you are right this time I like Windows Phone a lot, I wouldn't have become an Ambassador otherwise :D ).
    BIGPADDY and chocka like this.
    09-12-2013 11:19 AM
    😊 no truth about the video..can't upload!!?? Abg
    09-12-2013 11:23 AM
    It's amazing how low your standards have fallen. You do realize that "understanding what they are reporting on" is a major part of a journalists job description. Right? That many people in journalism fail in that regard doesn't make it excusable. Journalists get paid to understand and make sense of things people with other jobs don't have time to research! It is their job to inform. This sorry excuse of a reviewer has does the opposite, misinform, and your willingness to excuse paid misinformation is sad.

Of course, if enough people share your attitude, then there is no reason for journalism to ever improve, as you are apparently content listening to and reading garbage.

If you expect or are content with mediocrity, that is all you will get.
    Its human nature to give your own and opinion and journalist aren't hired because they have a PHD in technology. Yes her review was terrible but until people realize that journalist and most bloggers are only trying to make a name for themselves then we are the losers.
    09-12-2013 11:23 AM
255 ... 56789 ...