Annoying Woman from a famous site reviews Lumia 1020 .. irks people off including me

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I think going on the offensive with a reviewer is pointless. Much like a meteorologist on television, they just have to cover the main points and not necessarily get it right. In my television market there are three main channels, and typically they share the same relative opinion but how they get there could be vastly different. I used to watch the news based on how attractive the female anchors were. Now I care about accuracy more.

Now I'm not suggesting the woman who reviewed the 1020 is or is not attractive. She wouldn't be my type anyway based on her perceived lack of intelligence. The review was poorly conceived and executed, and did not give a good overall assessment of the device. I won't call it a hit piece in favor of other platforms like iOS or Android, but this reporter didn't do any favors for Windows Phone.

VegaNovus

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I think going on the offensive with a reviewer is pointless. Much like a meteorologist on television, they just have to cover the main points and not necessarily get it right. In my television market there are three main channels, and typically they share the same relative opinion but how they get there could be vastly different. I used to watch the news based on how attractive the female anchors were. Now I care about accuracy more.

Now I'm not suggesting the woman who reviewed the 1020 is or is not attractive. She wouldn't be my type anyway based on her perceived lack of intelligence. The review was poorly conceived and executed, and did not give a good overall assessment of the device. I won't call it a hit piece in favor of other platforms like iOS or Android, but this reporter didn't do any favors for Windows Phone.

She's fairly attractive but I think the phone is more attractive.

Call me a tech freak :(

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Choice sucks doesn't it?

+1

Give it a second. Would yeah? Could you give it a second? It's going to space. Can you give it a second?

I'm sorry, but considering the phone is creating two photos from one image and allows you to manipulate it further after the fact to a degree unheard of previously in the mobile space is worth the extra loading and processing times.

Take your 1020 and go outside to take some pictures. Don't come back until you've filled up the device's memory and need to pull the pictures off.

Lather, rinse and repeat.

If you want to overcome the perception this phone is bunk, you need to show it isn't. Pictures are worth a 1,000 words. Those taken with the 1020 are worth 10x that.

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
is people surprised about it? its MOLLY WOOD!
did you forget the first time Microsoft-Brandon Watson sent her a Mango challenge Windows Phone and it was a waste? do people already forget how it took Molly Wood 2 days to find the apps list? I mean... she is simply that dumb! you cant expect something Smart from here, when she clearly doesnt know much about phones.
I didnt even watch the video, I dont need to watch it to know Molly Wood, wouldnt say anything Smart about Windows Phone. I mean... she had a pre-mango device, and after 2 years she never understood or try to understand how to upload to Facebook?
if she, after 2 years cant do a simple thing, I really dont know how people could expect her to know and give good information about skydrive and zune 2 years ago? lol
she is the ones that think "there just needs to be an app for that.". but yeah, Im sure she is just dumb and I wouldnt expect much from her, not 2 years ago, not now, and not in next 5 years... never! the only thing i would expect from her, its to put the phones in really retarded tests (destroying the phones) like if it was a real usage test. and like if those test would make her smarter.

I stopped listening to a podcast she was on a few years ago when she asked (and not rhetorically, mind you) if Amazon was still a relevant company. Just bleh.

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Anooying Woman from a famous site reviews Lumia 1020 .. irks people off including me

Use Nokia Smart Cam or MSFT Blink app for rapid fire pictures

Well, as far as shutter speed goes I'd have to agree. Though I haven't personally used the 1020, shutter speeds in Windows Phone are generally very slow and that makes it difficult to use in certain situations, like taking photos of the kids.
I dislike the iPhone very much, but in all honesty, I'm kinda jealous that my sister can take a bunch of pictures with hers in just a few seconds while my Windows Phone is struggling to focus.

VegaNovus

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
As someone who previously used an iPhone 4 and who has an iPod touch 5th generation, just because the camera app is faster doesn't mean it's better. I've gotten many more WAY better shots on my 920 and my 810 before it than I have from the two Apple devices. Nokia Lumia phones just have that superior of cameras, IMO. No contest.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Choice sucks doesn't it?

It would be much better if we only had the option to take the lower quality picture so we could be more like the competitors.

LoL
I'm sorry but was that an excuse you just made? What choice do I have here? Why the heck would I even choose to use the default camera app over the Pro Cam app? Isn't Pro Cam app the entire deal of this phone? Why can't that work as fast as the default app?

arkavat

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I hope this review by WPCentral gets to them .. and they are ashamed of themselves
CNET throws the Lumia 1020 under the bus in latest "review", gets facts wrong too | Windows Phone Central

Thanks Daniel and WPCentral team for putting this out and informing people that you cannot get away with misinforming people

I am going to call out Daniel on this article.

Look, we don?t want to be that site that goes after everyone who doesn?t like Windows Phone. That?s not who we are and we certainly respect the fact that people have preferences. There are valid criticisms against Microsoft, the OS and even the Lumia 1020 and raising those is certainly acceptable.

But CNET and Molly Wood?s ?review? is just shameful and amateur. They could and should do better.

Are they from the same person?

The language of the article and the tone of this thread has been so aggressive and defensive. I really do not understand why do you have to be so defensive about other reviewer's opinions?

She makes some valid concerns from the point of view of an average user. Daniel is attacking these points and calling her amateur!

1) 41 megapixel is a novelty. They don't even exist outside nokia's apps. The whole zoom advantage is false. Digital zoom is a marketing gimmick. 5 mega pixel photo from a 5 mega pixel camera and 5 mega pixel cropped photo from 41 mega pixel camera are never the same quality. We can go into a very technical discussions here but I will avoid that. Most users are looking for a WYSIWYG camera. iPhone does it very good!

2) If facebook is built in and so obvious, why is it not in her sharing options? Why is new user not guided on to the sign-in screen? Don't call her out... most users will have the same confusion. She took and photo and sees an option there for sharing. She click on it and sees limited options. MS never did good on the promise on centralized sharing. user is never given an hint that there might be apps that share this stuff. Don't blame the user here.

3) Instagram is absent... it is not there. We have clients, but not instagram. She did not lie.

4) She showed in the video how long it took for her to start the camera and how much delay was present between her clicking and the photo being saved. Why are you so mad at her.. she experienced what she did and she showed it on the video. iPhone did not fail her. It takes fast photos without you having to open a different camera app. All normal users are experiencing what she did. It is shameful for a phone that's selling point is the camera.

5) She?d rather ??have a phone with a great camera that can do everything like the iPhone? instead of a phone ?with a really great camera that can?t do much else?... what is wrong with it? she is not allowed to have a personal preference? it not even personal.. it is a really honest statement. dpreview.com also rated iphone camera to be just under 1020 camera. iPhone has many more apps. She made a very fair statement. not in our favor, but very fair.

I would rather write an editorial and slam Nokia and Microsoft for not taking proper advantage of the hardware.

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I think we should close this thread, the more views that video gets makes them more money and they don't deserve the money nor views from that review.

another visitor

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
1. If you think 41 megapixel is a gimmick then you have no idea how the 1020 works. 41mp is useful for both oversampling and lossless digital zooming. The 5mp images from the 1020 are of much higher quality than the iphone 5 can ever hope to produce in any situation. The lossless zooming is far from being the crappy 'digital zooming' that you are alluding to. The full-res pixels are almost the same quality as the 8mp pixels from the iphone. So, even cropping that out a 5mp image from the full-res, you'll get closer to the same clarity as the 8mp image of the iphone, but of-course much much close to the subject thanks to the zoom. It's not a gimmick as she is alluding to in that review.
2. Anyone who has spent more than 10 minutes will figure that out. She is reviewing a phone,not checking it out on a store. It's misleading and completely false. It's her fault if she hasn't logged in to Facebook or not downloaded a client.
3. She also said 'you cannot istagram it', which is again completely false. You can. Oggl is an official way to do it. She never bothered to mention that. Yes, there is no client, but that does not imply that you cannot upload a photo/video to instagram.
4. Yes, the delay is there and that has been pointed out so many times. But she also mentioned 'shutter speed'. Again, false. The delay is in the processing (oversampling + full 38mp saving), not the shutter speed. The shutter speed is manually adjustable if anyone so desires.
5. Just under? It's not even in the same league. iphone 5 (http://1.static.img-dpreview.com/files/p/TS630x630~cms_posts/1343713337/iphone5card_2.png?v=2473)
1020 (http://connect.dpreview.com/files/p/cms_posts/5234892048/Nokia_Lumia_1020.png)
The difference in Still Image Quality is massive.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
arkavat - you are right, of course, but most people here aren't interested in the truth. They will only accept the portrayal of the 1020 and Windows Phone in the best possible light, and everything else out there is garbage. The sad thing is that this kind of attitude only serves to hold the platform back. Just like the Linux/open-source desktop vs. Windows, except in the mobile world it's Windows in the losing position. Well, it's going to stay there as long as Microsoft keeps on failing at the very basics while the competition does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss