Annoying Woman from a famous site reviews Lumia 1020 .. irks people off including me

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Let's face it, WP8 is way better than iPhone because you cannot multitask in ios. With Apple you can't switch apps without first going back to the home screen and launching the app every time. No way to close apps either.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I didn't know iOS sucked so bad at multitasking. No wonder it's so bad in WP as well: they copied it from iOS and tacked on a cumbersome task switcher that also doesn't let you close an app. I guess Android is the only phone OS that gets this right. At least the leaked shots of the next WP version show a way to close apps. FINALLY. Now if they could also make it faster to bring up the task switcher and make better use of screen real-estate once it's open, then it might just be decent. Oh yeah, and fix the crazy battery draining that results from leaving apps open...

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think she was correct it so many ways. The first is the anxiety of being on iPhone for so long. More than likely she is not a techie but a consumer who wants to be in reporting. If you hand the lumia 1020 to any of my family and let them use it for a day. I suspect they will say and act the same way. Is the shutter speed slow? yes it is. Is it a different operating system that would take more than a day to know how to use it? yes is does. Is it big and gangly? yes its big. Its good that people like her exist and review tech. She is a majority of tech consumers and they know apple. I don't blame her. But yes she was dead wrong in the eyes of people who know wp8.

Maybe you should handover your WP device to someone else, capture a video of their experience and then post comments, just saying, instead of 'suspecting' what they will think of. Professionalism in journalism is still valued and mistakes will be pointed out.

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Maybe you should handover your WP device to someone else, capture a video of their experience and then post comments, just saying, instead of 'suspecting' what they will think of. Professionalism in journalism is still valued and mistakes will be pointed out.

Journalist are just journalist and rarely know what they are talking about. They are hired for for journalistic talents and not knowing their subjects. She represents a majority of tech users.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Let's face it, WP8 is way better than iPhone because you cannot multitask in ios. With Apple you can't switch apps without first going back to the home screen and launching the app every time. No way to close apps either.

what are you talking about? No OS is better than the other, this thread is not about which OS is better. Please stay on topic.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I didn't know iOS sucked so bad at multitasking. No wonder it's so bad in WP as well: they copied it from iOS and tacked on a cumbersome task switcher that also doesn't let you close an app. I guess Android is the only phone OS that gets this right. At least the leaked shots of the next WP version show a way to close apps. FINALLY. Now if they could also make it faster to bring up the task switcher and make better use of screen real-estate once it's open, then it might just be decent. Oh yeah, and fix the crazy battery draining that results from leaving apps open...

Stay on topic, please don't discuss which OS is better than other. There are separate threads for that.

Thanks

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Not just in the eyes of people who know WP8.

Wrong is wrong.

When she, as a PROFESSIONAL, makes statements about what the phone can and can't do, it'd different than if some random person does it. Her words carry weight and responsibility.

She made false statements about what the Lumia 1020 can and can't do. Period.

She can love or hate it. It doesn't matter.

Making false statements about it is irresponsible, and in her case, dishonest. She used a WP7 phone for a few weeks before. She KNOWS that Facebook uploading is built right into the OS, yet in the review she states the exact opposite as fact.

People need to remember that she's not just some random consumer. She is the tech editor for CNET.

WP8 has a chance of going from cult tech icon to the cool operating system. Its people like her that make it that way. She is a journalist and when you see a journalist reporting in a war zone, are they schooled in the art of war or reporting what they see and hear? Lets not be too fanboyish. Its what will draw people to our platform.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Journalist are just journalist and rarely know what they are talking about. They are hired for for journalistic talents and not knowing their subjects. She represents a majority of tech users.

I really wish you would stop generalizing. If you are work on hiring journalists and know first hand what happens I would accept it hands down or you have any documents to prove that this is how tech
reporters are hired please feel free to post.

I am annoyed with her for she is mistaken in her facts, I don't know if she represents majority of the tech users.

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I really wish you would stop generalizing. If you are work on hiring journalists and know first hand what happens I would accept it hands down or you have any documents to prove that this is how tech
reporters are hired please feel free to post.

I am annoyed with her for she is mistaken in her facts, I don't know if she represents majority of the tech users.

I served 20 years in the army as a cavalry scout and have first hand knowledge as to how journalist work. You should stop attacking people and get some rest. No room for fanboyism in this forum. She was hired because of her looks, writing skills, and probably a degree in journalism. Get over it

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I just can't believe she said "currently, the iPhone 5 is the best smartphone camera..."

Wtf??? Seriously, has she been living under a rock for the last year? Even my Nokia Lumia 920's camera is better and more capable than an iPhone 5. I thought everyone knew that...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

It's amazing how low your standards have fallen. You do realize that "understanding what they are reporting on" is a major part of a journalists job description. Right? That many people in journalism fail in that regard doesn't make it excusable. Journalists get paid to understand and make sense of things, that people with other jobs don't have time to research! It is their job to inform. This sorry excuse of a reviewer has done the opposite, misinform, and your willingness to excuse paid misinformation is sad.

Of course, if enough people share your attitude, then there is no reason for journalism to ever improve, as you are apparently content listening to and reading garbage.

If you expect or are content with mediocrity, that is all you will get.

Last edited:

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I just can't believe she said "currently, the iPhone 5 is the best smartphone camera..."

Wtf??? Seriously, has she been living under a rock for the last year? Even my Nokia Lumia 920's camera is better and more capable than an iPhone 5. I thought everyone knew that...
This even Scrapsung s4/s3 has a better camera than iPhone 5.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I served 20 years in the army as a cavalry scout and have first hand knowledge as to how journalist work. You should stop attacking people and get some rest. No room for fanboyism in this forum. She was hired because of her looks, writing skills, and probably a degree in journalism. Get over it

I am not attacking you , I am just asking you to state facts and stop generalizing that reporters gets hired that way. I hope you take this in good faith and again stop assuming that I am a '******' without me stating the same
(actually I don't like the word ****** but you are right this time I like Windows Phone a lot, I wouldn't have become an Ambassador otherwise :D ).

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
It's amazing how low your standards have fallen. You do realize that "understanding what they are reporting on" is a major part of a journalists job description. Right? That many people in journalism fail in that regard doesn't make it excusable. Journalists get paid to understand and make sense of things people with other jobs don't have time to research! It is their job to inform. This sorry excuse of a reviewer has does the opposite, misinform, and your willingness to excuse paid misinformation is sad.

Of course, if enough people share your attitude, then there is no reason for journalism to ever improve, as you are apparently content listening to and reading garbage.

Its human nature to give your own and opinion and journalist aren't hired because they have a PHD in technology. Yes her review was terrible but until people realize that journalist and most bloggers are only trying to make a name for themselves then we are the losers.

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I am not attacking you , I am just asking you to state facts and stop generalizing that reporters gets hired that way. I hope you take this in good faith and again stop assuming that I am a '******' without me stating the same
(actually I don't like the word ****** but you are right this time I like Windows Phone a lot, I wouldn't have become an Ambassador otherwise :D ).

Its not generalizing its fact. How many ugly educated journalist do you see? Im a realist and every time I look at the news or a journalist 90% of them are good looking. When that lady punches out she could care less about tech. All she knows is that the commercial for her iPhone made her cry and now she is emotionally attached to her phone.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
WP8 has a chance of going from cult tech icon to the cool operating system. Its people like her that make it that way. She is a journalist and when you see a journalist reporting in a war zone, are they schooled in the art of war or reporting what they see and hear? Lets not be too fanboyish. Its what will draw people to our platform.
Doesn't excuse lying.
She worked with WP7 before and had a video where she talked about uploading to Facebook.

Now she states that it can't be done as part of the OS. She didn't say she didn't know how to se it up. She said it couldn't be done.

There are also other factual inaccuracies that Daniel pointed out in his article.

You're just making excuses for shoddy and irresponsible tech reporting. Is that the standard you hold for people at their jobs? To suck?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

Should journalists in a war zone be talking about military abilities and in abilities and state them as facts? Is that your standard?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It's amazing how low your standards have fallen. You do realize that "understanding what they are reporting on" is a major part of a journalists job description. Right? That many people in journalism fail in that regard doesn't make it excusable. Journalists get paid to understand and make sense of things people with other jobs don't have time to research! It is their job to inform. This sorry excuse of a reviewer has does the opposite, misinform, and your willingness to excuse paid misinformation is sad.

In this case, mediocrity would be an improvement: at least in terms of honesty and factual information.

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
what are you talking about? No OS is better than the other, this thread is not about which OS is better. Please stay on topic.

Sorry, I was merely trying to demonstrate the dangers of spreading false or incorrect information. Clearly not well thought out on my part.

For the record, multitasking in ios has been available since 2010 or so but it isn't easily and clearly obvious to some. I even had to show a co-worker who owns an iphone how to access the feature.

Point is, just because he didn't figure it out doesn't mean it couldn't be done, something I hope CNet has learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb