Annoying Woman from a famous site reviews Lumia 1020 .. irks people off including me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Its human nature to give your own and opinion and journalist aren't hired because they have a PHD in technology. Yes her review was terrible but until people realize that journalist and most bloggers are only trying to make a name for themselves then we are the losers.

Opinion and facts are different.

Stating her opinion is fine.

Stating inaccurate information as fact is what most here have a problem with. The review has several errors in facts. Errors that she should have been aware of. (especially when she's used WP7 before and made a video stating contradictory information than what she now says)

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Wow, I didn't know iOS sucked so bad at multitasking. No wonder it's so bad in WP as well: they copied it from iOS and tacked on a cumbersome task switcher that also doesn't let you close an app. I guess Android is the only phone OS that gets this right. At least the leaked shots of the next WP version show a way to close apps. FINALLY. Now if they could also make it faster to bring up the task switcher and make better use of screen real-estate once it's open, then it might just be decent. Oh yeah, and fix the crazy battery draining that results from leaving apps open...

Symbian got multitasking spot on but I digress from the topic....

chocka

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Journalist are just journalist and rarely know what they are talking about. They are hired for for journalistic talents and not knowing their subjects. She represents a majority of tech users.
She cannot act as thought she knows wp. She could have said she doesn't know how to upload. She doesn't represent majority of tech users. My 9 year old kid knows to use my wp.

Blackwood504

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
LOL, yeah remarkable that a case protects a phone, dumb ****, the iphone would be in thousand pieces if it was tested like the Lumia 920, which survived and all you would need is to replace the screen as oposed to the whole iPhone.

This video is so ******* stupid! Why would you leave the other devices unprotected and not the other one if you are really doing a toucher test??? ******* dumb.

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Should journalists in a war zone be talking about military abilities and in abilities and state them as facts? Is that your standard?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molly_Wood

Look at her profile and tell me what qualifies her to be a expert in mobile technology? Or expert in any subject. She is a journalist and take her report with a grain of salt. Someone handed her a nokia in the morning and she was expected to form an opinion in a few hours while filming a video. If it really bothers you that much then write her.

chocka

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
WP8 has a chance of going from cult tech icon to the cool operating system. Its people like her that make it that way. She is a journalist and when you see a journalist reporting in a war zone, are they schooled in the art of war or reporting what they see and hear? Lets not be too fanboyish. Its what will draw people to our platform.
But reporting a hand grenade killed 10000 people is not what normal journalist do. This is not going to draw people to our platform

chocka

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I served 20 years in the army as a cavalry scout and have first hand knowledge as to how journalist work. You should stop attacking people and get some rest. No room for fanboyism in this forum. She was hired because of her looks, writing skills, and probably a degree in journalism. Get over it
What are you saying? Does that mean she won't lie? Or that we stop complaining if we feel she lied?

Andraz Podjaversek

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
No wonder it's so bad in WP as well: they copied it from iOS and tacked on a cumbersome task switcher that also doesn't let you close an app. I guess Android is the only phone OS that gets this right. At least the leaked shots of the next WP version show a way to close apps. FINALLY..

I dont get why people have such an urge to close apps when all of the apps are TOMBSTONED, they dont eat up your ram or use much of your battery power ...

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
What are you saying? Does that mean she won't lie? Or that we stop complaining if we feel she lied?

Have you ever seen anchorman? Journalist just read whats put in their face. Someone didm sign her into Facebook so their was no Facebook share icon. She never set up the phone. Someone else did. Her twitter was active because someone logged into their Microsoft account. If you are someone who puts emphasis on these people then be mad. If you actually do your own research then this just doesn't matter.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I dont get why people have such an urge to close apps when all of the apps are TOMBSTONED, they dont eat up your ram or use much of your battery power ...

In theory you're right, apps should be completely frozen and not affecting battery power when tombstoned. Otherwise what's the point of tombstoning? But something is wrong with the OS implementation. I have the graphs to prove it. I'm 100% certain this regularly happens with IE, and have definitely seen it with other apps but I'm not certain about how often. I don't know what the cause is but my idle battery consumption rate can double or triple when I leave browser tabs or apps open. It makes the difference between the battery lasting <1 day vs. 3 days or more! I'm judging the rate by observing graphs of reported battery level during the several hours before/after leaving apps open.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molly_Wood

Look at her profile and tell me what qualifies her to be a expert in mobile technology? Or expert in any subject. She is a journalist and take her report with a grain of salt. Someone handed her a nokia in the morning and she was expected to form an opinion in a few hours while filming a video. If it really bothers you that much then write her.

She doesn't need to be an expert in tech. But she does need to do her due diligence.

If she doesn't know how to do something she has a responsibility to figure it out before stating it as fact to the world.

The fact that you find this excusable is funny.

She sucks at doing her job... but it's okay because she's not qualified for the job in the first place. Whoopie.

And who says I haven't written her? Am I not allowed to state my displeasure in a public forum also?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Have you ever seen anchorman? Journalist just read whats put in their face. Someone didm sign her into Facebook so their was no Facebook share icon. She never set up the phone. Someone else did. Her twitter was active because someone logged into their Microsoft account. If you are someone who puts emphasis on these people then be mad. If you actually do your own research then this just doesn't matter.

Many people will see this and believe what she said. Her affiliation with CNET lends her credibility to the average person. With that level of influence comes a level of responsibility to actually be honest and thorough at the job.

You are making excuses for incompetence. Like somehow misleading masses as a member of an influential organization is somehow okay if you're dumb.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Its human nature to give your own and opinion and journalist aren't hired because they have a PHD in technology. Yes her review was terrible but until people realize that journalist and most bloggers are only trying to make a name for themselves then we are the losers.

Not all tech journalists are as bad as you make them out to be. Some tech journalists do understand the tech they are reviewing, like the folks at Anandtech. The people there actually do have backgrounds in some field of engineering or science and that shows in their articles. Their reviews are far more accurate and much more insightful than anything you would find anywhere else.

Then again, you don't need to have that level of technical expertise to run a good tech site, just look at WPC. This site is not very technical, and neither is their staff. I think that is fine, because they aren't writing for a technical audience (similar to the verge or cnet). WPC isn't here to help us understand hardware and software technology, so they don't need to be experts in those fields. Despite that, everyone thinks they are trustworthy. Why? Because they don't pretend to be engineers, but more importantly, because they have an interest in journalistic integrity. That is what journalism should be about, and WPC does a fine job of it.

It's simply not true that all journalists are crap. We as consumers just need to make better choices. Avoiding sites like CNET would be a good start.

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Not all tech journalists are as bad as you make them out to be. Some tech journalists do understand the tech they are reviewing, like the folks at Anandtech. The people there actually do have backgrounds in some field of engineering or science and that shows in their articles. Their reviews are far more accurate and much more insightful than anything you would find anywhere else.

Then again, you don't need to have that level of technical expertise to run a good tech site, just look at WPC. This site is not very technical, and neither is their staff. I think that is fine, because they aren't writing for a technical audience (similar to the verge or cnet). WPC isn't here to help us understand hardware and software technology, so they don't need to be experts in those fields. Despite that, everyone thinks they are trustworthy. Why? Because they don't pretend to be engineers, but more importantly, because they have an interest in journalistic integrity. That is what journalism should be about, and WPC does a fine job of it.

It's simply not true that all journalists are crap. We as consumers just need to make better choices. Avoiding sites like CNET would be a good start.

I did say 90%. Look at any tech blog site and see how their chosen platform influences their opinion. Sure they will change (because the SQUIRLS syndrome runs rampant in the tech industry) platforms and favor the other from week to week. Journalist report on everything from brain surgery to the birth of baby lions. They are not experts in either field. When a news journalist says "this just in". They are reading from a prompt or computer screen. All she did was show up to work knowing she was going to a music fest using a 41 mp phone. I don't listen to any of them. The only thing I get is the look of the phone to decide if I should go look at it. Her words mean nothing. Especially once she said the iPhone had the best camera.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
But something is wrong with the OS implementation. I have the graphs to prove it.

Between the posts of you more or less defending Molly Wood and now this graph one, I have a little trouble swallowing what you are saying. Care to further ellaborate or cite some sources?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
She doesn't need to be an expert in tech. But she does need to do her due diligence.

Exactly! It's fine to not like something, but if you have a platform that allows you to complain or knock a product in front of millions of viewers, then you need to make sure that your criticism's hold some weight. That isn't rocket science. Most reviewers understand that. She doesn't.

She is recklessly playing with peoples livelihoods here. Hundreds of people put a lot of hard work into developing the L1020. Years of blood and tears went into developing the OS for it. If she is going to criticize it, she has at least a moral obligation to give those people a fair shake.

I find people like her either stupid, because they don't realize the responsibility they hold, or despicable, because they don't care.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I did say 90%. Look at any tech blog site and see how their chosen platform influences their opinion. Sure they will change (because the SQUIRLS syndrome runs rampant in the tech industry) platforms and favor the other from week to week. Journalist report on everything from brain surgery to the birth of baby lions. They are not experts in either field. When a news journalist says "this just in". They are reading from a prompt or computer screen. All she did was show up to work knowing she was going to a music fest using a 41 mp phone. I don't listen to any of them. The only thing I get is the look of the phone to decide if I should go look at it. Her words mean nothing. Especially once she said the iPhone had the best camera.

I think you're missing the point.

Whether you are influenced by her or not, she does have wide influence. She is associated with a tech site that has an established and widely familiar brand name.

When sites are specialized, like tech sites, the information they present is expected to be accurate. If journalists dont know something they find out the answers before reporting them.

The problem people here have isn't that they value her opinion or look to her for information. It's that we know lay people will. And that can have a very real effect on sales of a platform that needs to grow in order for us to get more developer support.

Most of us accept that she prefers an iPhone. I don't mind that she doesn't like WP.

But for goodness sake, she shouldn't be spreading false information about what the phone can and can't do. Joe Public will believe it.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I did say 90%. Look at any tech blog site and see how their chosen platform influences their opinion.

Okay, I didn't catch the 90% bit.

As for the rest, I think that has already been settled. Everyone has opinions. It's okay to have biases. Everyone does. Her bias isn't the issue. It's her failure to report even the most basic capabilities correctly. That has nothing to do with opinion or bias. That is just about doing your job, which she didn't.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I got to say that I am disappointed with Molly Wood. I was a fan of her from when cnet did buzz out loud as a daily news podcast.

However, reviews like this are unconscionable. Allowing a report like this to be published without being checked shows carelessness in the editor's role at best, malicious intent at the worst.

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I didn't catch the 90% bit.

As for the rest, I think that has already been settled. Everyone has opinions. It's okay to have biases. Everyone does. Her bias isn't the issue. It's her failure to report even the most basic capabilities correctly. That has nothing to do with opinion or bias. That is just about doing your job, which she didn't.

But the only reason we noticed is because we have interest. Journalist mess everything up. They try to grab headlines and facts don't matter. She is catering to the millions on iPhone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)