Annoying Woman from a famous site reviews Lumia 1020 .. irks people off including me

Status
Not open for further replies.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
But the only reason we noticed is because we have interest. Journalist mess everything up. They try to grab headlines and facts don't matter. She is catering to the millions on iPhone.

Look, you've admitted that she is unprofessional. You've admitted that at least 10% of journalists do their job well. We agree on most things.

Still, you seem to think we can't expect more from the remaining 90%. I disagree. We should always expect more. That doesn't mean we will get more, but it's better to expect perfection and get it rarely, than to expect mediocrity and get it commonly.

If we didn't expect more we wouldn't be having this conversation, meaning people like Molly would have zero opposition and get away with everything. That would leave us in an even bleaker journalism landscape than we inhabit now.

Her level of professionalism is unacceptable, under any circumstance, and should be called out. Your unwillingness to acknowledge that is the only reason this simple topic has dragged on for so long.

During your military career, would you have accepted it if 90% of your unit sucked? Of course not. We shouldn't expect less of any professional, no matter what their line of work is.

I'll leave it at that.

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Look, you've admitted that she is unprofessional. You've admitted that at least 10% of journalists do their job well. We agree on most things.

Still, you seem to think we can't expect more from the remaining 90%. I disagree. We should always expect more. That doesn't mean we will get more, but it's better to expect perfection and get it rarely, than to expect mediocrity and get it commonly.

If we didn't expect more we wouldn't be having this conversation, meaning people like Molly would have zero opposition and get away with everything. That would leave us in an even bleaker journalism landscape than we inhabit now.

Her level of professionalism is unacceptable, under any circumstance, and should be called out. Your unwillingness to acknowledge that is the only reason this simple topic has dragged on for so long.

During your military career, would you have accepted it if 90% of your unit sucked? Of course not. We shouldn't expect less of any professional, no matter what their line of work is.

I'll leave it at that.

You complaining just because for some reason it means a lot to you. Journalist mess everything up. Thats all there is too it. We should be more concerned about them messing up syria and not uploading pictures on Facebook.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Between the posts of you more or less defending Molly Wood and now this graph one, I have a little trouble swallowing what you are saying. Care to further ellaborate or cite some sources?

My intention was not to defend Ms. Wood, to the contrary - I basically said that she sucks at her job. I have expressed my frustration with the community's reaction to others in this thread who have brought up valid points and been shut down by, for the most part, delusional ****** extremism. Anyway, here's a link to a post I made with a graph that shows the kind of abnormal battery draining I've observed:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1020/235806-1020-battery-issues.html#post2064919

In this case the culprit was HERE Maps, but I regularly get the same kind of result with IE. Usually what happens is I go to lunch, browse the web for 5-10 minutes while I'm waiting, the food arrives and I turn off the phone. A couple hours later I realize "crap, I forgot to close out IE again" and in the meantime it's been steadily burning down the battery. It's really starting to bother me that if I'm super careful to always close everything, I can get excellent battery life - 3 days, and that's not just a projection. Actually real and tested. But if I make one mistake, it's right out the window. It shouldn't be this way.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
You complaining just because for some reason it means a lot to you. Journalist mess everything up. Thats all there is too it. We should be more concerned about them messing up syria and not uploading pictures on Facebook.

You just don't get it. Your laissez faire attitude regarding journalism (and those that share it) is what concernes me. The idea that her lacking professionalism should be tolerated, or worse, the idea that she should be defended because we just can't expect more, that too concernes me. I say this not just about gadget reviews, but about journalism in general. The same standards should apply. Molly's review, no, I'm not complaining about that. It's a shame, but she got the message. That is done.

Again, I'm not complaining about Molly or her review. I'm complaining about people's standards having fallen so low, that they don't find it necessary to hold journalists to higher standards.

I thought that was clear, but I hope it is now.

Lucidlore

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
My intention was not to defend Ms. Wood, to the contrary - I basically said that she sucks at her job. I have expressed my frustration with the community's reaction to others in this thread who have brought up valid points and been shut down by, for the most part, delusional ****** extremism. Anyway, here's a link to a post I made with a graph that shows the kind of abnormal battery draining I've observed:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1020/235806-1020-battery-issues.html#post2064919

In this case the culprit was HERE Maps, but I regularly get the same kind of result with IE. Usually what happens is I go to lunch, browse the web for 5-10 minutes while I'm waiting, the food arrives and I turn off the phone. A couple hours later I realize "crap, I forgot to close out IE again" and in the meantime it's been steadily burning down the battery. It's really starting to bother me that if I'm super careful to always close everything, I can get excellent battery life - 3 days, and that's not just a projection. Actually real and tested. But if I make one mistake, it's right out the window. It shouldn't be this way.

That's because there have been no valid points made. Let me run it down for you:

*Tech reviewer reviews the phone but gets basically 90% of the factual details of the phone wrong. She is an avid tech user, and an editor at a well known website. She is NOT the average user.
*Other people tar and feather her for spreading false information.
*YOU jump into the thread and throw out a red-herring: "Well if SHE's incompetent in doing her job, that must obviously mean that wp8 is a poorly designed and un-intuitive operating system !" Yet you haven't really explained how anything about wp8 is any less intuitive than ios or android.

And now, you try to throw another red herring about the battery life -- an issue no one is discussing.

Do you see the problem here ? Why discuss the phone's battery life ? You may have a valid point and you may be right, but that had nothing to with this thread. I'm sure there are other threads discussing the phone's battery life. If we're fanboys for calling you out, then you're a hater for trying to slander the wp8 by bringing in irrelevant information.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Do you see the problem here ?

Yup!

Why discuss the phone's battery life ? You may have a valid point and you may be right, but that had nothing to with this thread. I'm sure there are other threads discussing the phone's battery life.

It was only in response to previous derailment of the thread. Completely OT but this thread is a trainwreck anyway.

If we're fanboys for calling you out, then you're a hater for trying to slander the wp8 by bringing in irrelevant information.

If you actually read anything I wrote, you'd know I only want this platform to succeed. Which do you think is going to help more with that? Denial + witch hunt, or improving the design of the OS so that it's impossible for average people to come to these wrong conclusions?

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
You just don't get it. Your laissez faire attitude regarding journalism (and those that share it) is what concernes me. The idea that her lacking professionalism should be tolerated, or worse, the idea that she should be defended because we just can't expect more, that too concernes me. I say this not just about gadget reviews, but about journalism in general. The same standards should apply. Molly's review, no, I'm not complaining about that. It's a shame, but she got the message. That is done.

Again, I'm not complaining about Molly or her review. I'm complaining about people's standards having fallen so low, that they don't find it necessary to hold journalists to higher standards.

Its thought that was clear, but I hope it is now.

Its just a phone

Last edited:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I just a phone

It's not about just a phone.

It's about honesty and integrity in reviews where people expect to get factual information.

I'm not sure why expecting integrity at a job is such a problem with you. Just because YOU don't expect it doesn't mean others shouldn't.

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
It's not about just a phone.

It's about honesty and integrity in reviews where people expect to get factual information.

I'm not sure why expecting integrity at a job is such a problem with you. Just because YOU don't expect it doesn't mean others shouldn't.

Here is the simple truth. If you see a sight with advertising in it. It will not be totally factual.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I just a phone

Tell that to the individuals who design, market, and manufacture this phone, whose paychecks and livelihood are impacted by false reporting. It may just be a phone to you and me, but to a large number of people, lower sales caused by inaccurate statements can impact their lives and the lives of the people that count on them.

When we accept lying as a way of life, we reap what we sow.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Ok,

There have been a few posts which ask for this thread to be closed. Although I can close it, since this post was featured on the WPCentral site I don't know if it is a good idea.

Maybe if I get more than 15 likes on this comment to close this thread I will close it. If any MOD sees this and feels the need to closed or continue please do it asap.

Cheers.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Its just a phone
Tell that to the people in Espoo and Redmond who spent years making it all come together in the L1020, and who's jobs are on the line if they can't capture a larger market share with their products. If their work is as shoddy as Molly describes it, then all 38'000 truly deserve a pink slip. Given enough unchallenged Molly's, that will happen...

At this point, I find it hard to believe that any intelligent human still doesn't get it. It's not about the phone. It's about professional journalism.

Every human being cares about fairness. Apparently, you find that the people who make these devices don't deserve a fair shake, but I'm not buying that. I think it's far more likely that you just have a problem conceding an argument, which is why we're still just running in circles.

Good day.

guillams

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
She is an Apple products fan Or Apple pay her program, I just saw I resistance test between L920 and Iphone 5 and she put a protector to the Iphone 5, Gash that's just ridiculous!

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa