Annoying Woman from a famous site reviews Lumia 1020 .. irks people off including me

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Just because she's reviewed WP before doesn't mean she's familiar with it or incapable of making mistakes. Humans make mistakes all the time, even when they're not suffering from mental illness. It's the job of the user experience designer to prevent or counter these mistakes as much as possible.

Again, I hope someone on the WP team watches her "review" and says "ah! we could've prevented this" and does something about it. Or they could do it your way and just rage at Molly Wood, accomplishing nothing, leaving the stage set for these mistakes to be repeated forever.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
If it's possible to design a user experience in such a way that the user cannot fail in spite of themselves, why not do it?

I think this is your main error. There is no such design. There will always be a user that will fail with any particular design, not matter how intuitive you think it is. Our brains work differently. We have different expectations about what is important. We have different expectations relating to what we think should be the logical next step in any process.

Until we have computers that can reliably read our intent through a brain scan, this just isn't going to work. If you narrow your target audience down to a certain demographic, then it's possible, but it's impossible to achieve a design that is completely intuitive for everyone.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Of course it's not always possible to come up with a design where the user cannot fail. But often you can come very close, certainly a lot closer than has been done here in the case of sharing a photo on Facebook. And I've already explained how, twice.

By the way, I didn't just jump into this thread with my crazy ideas out of nowhere. I only posted to show support for someone else who raised legitimate points and was unfairly and immaturely attacked by multiple people. Every point I've raised has been in direct response to others. But I know it's a long messy thread and I don't blame people for not following the convoluted path of discussion.

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Just because she's reviewed WP before doesn't mean she's familiar with it or incapable of making mistakes. Humans make mistakes all the time, even when they're not suffering from mental illness. It's the job of the user experience designer to prevent or counter these mistakes as much as possible.

Again, I hope someone on the WP team watches her "review" and says "ah! we could've prevented this" and does something about it. Or they could do it your way and just rage at Molly Wood, accomplishing nothing, leaving the stage set for these mistakes to be repeated forever.

Thank you! for once someone is looking at it from different angles.

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Even then... an advertisement isn't allowed to lie about the capabilities of a competing product. Apple wouldn't be allowed to put out an ad that says WP can't upload to Facebook.

This review did something that would be considered illegal if it was an ad.

She wasn't lying. Look at the video. She tries to upload a pic to Facebook and its not there. She had no idea what she was doing or talking about. Is the shutter slow? Yes it is. Does it matter to me? No. Is there a native instagram app? No there isn't. Does it matter to me? No it doesn't. Should instagram(the real instagram)be on the best picture phone? Yes it should. She gave her opinion of a phone that she spent maybe an hour with. So lets just relax and breath. WP8 is already at the bottom of the pecking order so there really is no damage that she can do. Enjoy your phone, have a coffee, and take a picture.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

You're talking about a completely separate issue.

Why do you feel it's important to go off topic? You've been trying to do it several times.

Last edited:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
She wasn't lying. Look at the video. She tries to upload a pic to Facebook and its not there. She had no idea what she was doing or talking about.

Considering she has done a review on a WP7 phone before where she talks about how she uploaded to Facebook natively, she should have an idea.

If she doesn't, she shouldn't be doing a review for a tech site and present herself as a professional.

Is the shutter slow? Yes it is. Does it matter to me? No.

It can be made faster by choosing the MS app as the default. A professional reviewer would point that out. They might say that it's something the lay person might not know. But the professional reviewer would point it out.

As for it mattering to you... why should we care if it matters to you? Her journalistic integrity and responsibility isn't measured by what matters to YOU.

Is there a native instagram app? No there isn't. Does it matter to me? No it doesn't. Should instagram(the real instagram)be on the best picture phone? Yes it should.

And if she only said, "There is no native Instagram app." that would be fine. Instead she said that there was no way to upload to Instagram, when there were SEVERAL options.

She gave her opinion of a phone that she spent maybe an hour with. So lets just relax and breath. WP8 is already at the bottom of the pecking order so there really is no damage that she can do. Enjoy your phone, have a coffee, and take a picture.

Doesn't matter. She gave blatantly wrong information.

And there you go supporting the idea of deception.

You talk so much about if something matters to you or affects you. You've already demonstrated that truth and responsibility in reporting are not things you value. Then we're supposed to change our minds because of how you say it affects you personally?

I'd be more open to listening to your opinions if you showed that you valued integrity, character, and responsibility. Then showed why you believed she still acted with those values. Instead, you make post after post trying to convince people that it's perfectly fine to mislead people. We're supposed to be convinced by someone that thinks it's okay to mislead? Really?

Last edited:

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Considering she has done a review on a WP7 phone before where she talks about how she uploaded to Facebook natively, she should have an idea.

If she doesn't, she shouldn't be doing a review for a tech site and present herself as a professional.

It can be made faster by choosing the MS app as the default. A professional reviewer would point that out. They might say that it's something the lay person might not know. But the professional reviewer would point it out.

As for it mattering to you... why should we care if it matters to you? Her journalistic integrity and responsibility isn't measured by what matters to YOU.

And if she only said, "There is no native Instagram app." that would be fine. Instead she said that there was no way to upload to Instagram, when there were SEVERAL options.

Doesn't matter. She gave blatantly wrong information.

And there you go supporting the idea of deception.

You talk so much about if something matters to you or affects you. You've already demonstrated that truth and responsibility in reporting are not things you value. Then we're supposed to change our minds because of how you say it affects you personally?

I'd be more open to listening to your opinions if you showed that you valued integrity, character, and responsibility. Then showed why you believed she still acted with those values. Instead, you make post after post trying to convince people that it's perfectly fine to mislead people. We're supposed to be convinced by someone that thinks it's okay to mislead? Really?

Don't put words in my mouth. I value good reporting but I'm not an *****. Journalist jazz it up to make it seem worse or better than it is. She reviews every single tech item out there. If you think she spends her entire life learning everything about every piece of tech then you have a lot longer day than the rest of us. If you are so upset and freaked out then write your congressman or drive to cnet and picket. Complaining here does nothing.

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
No, this is not how I see it.

This is how I see it.

What I am saying is that they are both to blame. When her video is showing the Share list without Facebook in it, I see not just her but thousands of people who look at that list and throw up their hands. It is certainly possible to design this user experience in such a way as to not depend so heavily on prior state (account configuration which may have been done a while ago, never, and/or by someone else). If it's possible to design a user experience in such a way that the user cannot fail in spite of themselves, why not do it? Sharing a photo on Facebook is such common usage scenario for someone who chooses the Share option that it should be opt-out in that list instead of opt-in like it currently is, especially when the OS has special built-in support for Facebook in particular. And now you've made me repeat myself.

you r also making me repeat myself. Once you use your Windows PHONE, the most important thing in PHONE is Contacts which in WP is people hub. So in that there is WHATS NEW section which will prompt you to integrate the Social Accounts that you have. if you have missed that part, then you havent used the phone properly.
and about the video, it is not something that is posted by Naive User. Its professional and WE expect more facts in it that her Utter Failure to find the proper facts.
You say that the OS is the Failure here. I have seen the other OS phones in which there will be a different usage aspects for which we will have to switch ourselves. If someone cant handle the Smart Phone, I would say just Dont Use it.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Don't put words in my mouth. I value good reporting but I'm not an *****. Journalist jazz it up to make it seem worse or better than it is. She reviews every single tech item out there. If you think she spends her entire life learning everything about every piece of tech then you have a lot longer day than the rest of us. If you are so upset and freaked out then write your congressman or drive to cnet and picket. Complaining here does nothing.

Didn't pit words in your mouth. Just observing your behavior.

Why are you insisting that we shouldn't talk about this on a WP board?

Who says we haven't taken any other more productive action in addition to expressing our opinions here? What's your problem with us having a problem with dishonest reporting?

Do you know what it means to be a professional and to do a professional job? All the excuses you're making sound like a joke to any professional.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Look, as former military myself, you and me both are well familiar with the phrase "attention to detail" and the costs of failing to adhere to that standard. I find it quite odd that someone of your background would be willing to let sloppy work slide. I certainly don't. Her failure to take 10-15 minutes to make sure the phone was setup correctly and to do a simple search for Instagram in the app store is inexcusable. It impacts the lives of those who designed, make, and sell this phone, as well as the impact it has on the growth of the ecosystem and community. How large of an impact is unknown, and irrelevant. Just a couple of hundred people being turned away due to those statements could deny a few raises. It also could mean a couple hundred less WP evangelists.

She failed to do her job correctly, and a number of forums are calling her out on it to try and undo the damage. Why you have such a beef against this, is beyond me.

Lucidlore

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Have you ever actually helped clueless people use technology products? You (and most people around here) give them far too much credit. I've helped people who found it nearly impossible to just enter text into a form on a phone, like you need to do when configuring account settings. And people jump to conclusions all the time. Can't immediately figure out how to do something? It must not be possible. Really, so many people think that way. And when they get stuck, they return the phone and get an iPhone, or even a feature phone.

This doesn't happen. Like, literally it does not happen. You're making this up. If someone buys a wp8 phone and can't figure out how to upload a picture on facebook, they ask someone and figure it out. They won't drive back to a store and demand to be switched to an iphone when it's no easier to upload a picture to facebook with that iphone. And yes, I have helped tech illiterate people -- my mom. She's as tech illiterate as they come, so she sticks to her basic feature phone. People who drop hundreds on a smartphone like the 1020 aren't people like my mom.

chocka

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Of course it's not always possible to come up with a design where the user cannot fail. But often you can come very close, certainly a lot closer than has been done here in the case of sharing a photo on Facebook. And I've already explained how, twice.

By the way, I didn't just jump into this thread with my crazy ideas out of nowhere. I only posted to show support for someone else who raised legitimate points and was unfairly and immaturely attacked by multiple people. Every point I've raised has been in direct response to others. But I know it's a long messy thread and I don't blame people for not following the convoluted path of discussion.

MS has enough things to worry about than listening to lies and trying to fix non existent problems.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
This thread has long-since passed its expiry date and is no longer contributing anything to the discussion or community. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa