Lumia 1020 - UK Release - 12TH September

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
They are also running a twitter comp to win one. #ispy

Im still trying to decide whether to do an early upgrade with O2 for the 64GB model and put it on 4G

scottygb2k

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Im currently stuck on 3G Orange contract until May. But I'm off to Las Vegas in 3 weeks for my mates wedding so this could be the perfect travelling companion !!

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Is this official?
Since the 1020 will only be launched here in France in October, I might start dreaming we'll also get a 64 version!

Havent heard from O2 directly about it but going by the article that got run on WPC about it - Think the 64GB variant is limited to O2 UK, Ireland and Germany

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Think I'm going to have to wait till October before I can buy a sim free 1020.

What grinds my gears is that no retailers seem to be pushing the device at all. A few online stores are taking pre-orders for it but that's it. According to Nokia's Twitter feed, the phone is released tomorrow but it's impossible to tell.

3 have started advertising the iPhone 5S/5C already on their homepage after the devices were announced but still no 1020 info....months after it was initially announced to the world.

What hope does the platform have when carriers just seem to have a hard on for iOS and Android??

The last time I splashed out a lot of cash on a mobile (808 PureView), Symbian was in it's death throes. As much as I want the 1020, a small part of me is a little anxious that I may be buying into something that could be heading the same way as Symbian.

mrchampipi

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Nick,
seems this is happening everywhere. The 1020 was officially released in Italy on the 10th, yet blogs seems to show that no shop really have them and online retailers are the only way to go for now there. In France, the device will only be available starting 2nd of october but god knows what the available stock will be.

If the 920 launch (in France) is of any indication: from official release, it was only available through one chain (the phone house) for the first month, and most shops only had a couple of them. I gave up on the idea of getting one after two month... Really hope the 1020 launch won't be anything like that, but by the look of it it will probably be :(
And you're very right, the wholesituation is even more pathetic when compared to what apple or samsung are able to do.
Here's hopping that M$ will change things now they've bought Nokia and manage proper worldwide launch of futre lumia devices.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Nick,
seems this is happening everywhere. The 1020 was officially released in Italy on the 10th, yet blogs seems to show that no shop really have them and online retailers are the only way to go for now there. In France, the device will only be available starting 2nd of october but god knows what the available stock will be.

If the 920 launch (in France) is of any indication: from official release, it was only available through one chain (the phone house) for the first month, and most shops only had a couple of them. I gave up on the idea of getting one after two month... Really hope the 1020 launch won't be anything like that, but by the look of it it will probably be :(
And you're very right, the wholesituation is even more pathetic when compared to what apple or samsung are able to do.
Here's hopping that M$ will change things now they've bought Nokia and manage proper worldwide launch of futre lumia devices.

It's incredibly depressing.

I've just checked the websites of the main carriers in the UK and only one (O2) mentions the 1020 although it doesn't give many details away. Certainly no mention of price or release date. Most, if not all have a link on their homepage to register an interest in the upcoming iPhone.

I'm struggling to see a future for WP at the moment.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, the big day is here and I'm sure many other UK consumers will agree with me when I say that it's nigh on impossible to visit any local phone carrier and retailer stores without tripping over mountains of 1020s which are on display. This is truly a wonderful day for Nokia/MS and their hard work has paid off beyond everyone's expectations. The marketing has been a triumph.

No longer will UK end users have to endure being told that the only phones on the market are the iPhone and Galaxy. There's a new player in town and the 1020 is sure to take the #1 spot thanks to an advertising campaign that has been second to none. I laugh at the iPhone and their novelty colour approach, MS feels the same way too.

Sadly, it seems everyone else has been laughing at MS.

[/mildsarcasm]

Is it today...or was it all just a dream??

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Nick, have you been chassing one yet? Have you actually visited some shops today? Keep us informed

My local 3 shop are taking pre-orders from today. They said they will be selling the sim free model for ?549.99 and it will be on sale from the 25 September.

Phones4U were not able to tell me anything so not very helpful.

I called Vodafone but their telephone service was naff so I didn't wait....although the recorded message was swift to tell me that the iPhone 5 will be available soon!

O2 was next and they told me they're taking pre-orders from tomorrow. They require a ?49.99 deposit and anyone who pre-orders will receive a free accessory worth over ?100 which seems pretty decent. They told me that they will not be selling sim free models and they have no idea if they will have a 64GB model. They confirmed what 3 told me that the device will be on the shelves on the 25 September.

I also phoned an iPhone store and they weren't very helpful....not sure why?! :)

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Just been into carphone warehouse and phones4u on Tottenham court road - neither have it in or know when they are getting it.

megapalm.jpg

Launchday fail.

mrchampipi

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks very much for your efforts Nick!
Looks like history is repeating itself. All I can hope now is that M$ will help with these obvious problems in the near future...

Bit worrying about O2 not knowing about the 64GB model - it was supposed to be their exclusive.
Yea, this is indeed strange. Well, the whole idea of offering a 64gb model as a carrier exclusive was strange to begin with, but the total lack of information about it is just...

Edit: I live close to Italy, so will try to have a tour in some phone shops there and see their situation

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss