Lumia 1020 - UK Release - 12TH September

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Shambolic is right.

I actually cancelled my order before changing my mind and reinstating it. Why should I lose out on the phone I want because O2 have been so incompetence?

One plus side though is that I've rediscovered how good the camera on the Lumia 925 really is. I'd resigned myself to making do with the 925 and started taking some photos on it again.

pezley

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
ordered mine from 4G EE

12 month Contract, 3gb data unlimited everything else. ?56 a month ( - %10 loyalty discount ) + ?29.99 for the handset.
Makes it ?634.99 a year. Considering the handset is ?549.99 that makes the monthly line rental and usage ?6.60.

Happy with that.

Supposed to be here Wednesday, we shall see. i don't trust companies delivery estimates.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
One thing is for certain. With the monumental mess that O2 have made of the launch so far if any of the units they send out have defects after all this messing about there will be a riot.

I got a text today from UKmail telling me that they probably wouldn't be able to deliver my phone on the 20/9/13.

Shambolic.

Nokia, the carriers and the resellers haven't exactly crowned themselves with glory on the 1020.

Most of the blame has to sit with with Nokia though. They somehow managed to butcher 12th September for many people waiting on a phone. That could have been avoided if they had added the words pre and release to their Tweet.

The lack of information from carriers has been shocking though. I can only imaging the uproar if the same level of info was given to iPhone customers...there would be riots. I would even go as far as predicting the end of world.
[/hyperbole]

The phone had better be worth it.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Nobody will know that apart from a select few. I've got to say, they've (possibly) lost one sale from me after the announcement of the 1520. I was poised to take the 1020 on O2's offer but the announcement of the 1520 has made me hesitate. I know they're different beasts (and the 'bigger, better, just round the corner' is a fool's game) but for someone upgrading from the 920, the 1520 represents something quite exciting...

I'm out and about less than most so the bulk/size of either phone doesn't worry me. But real estate on the screen of the 1520 would satisfy that niggling hunger I've had for a Note-sized phone, plus (almost) the camera benefit of the 1020.

Got one more day to wrestle with my wishes. No doubt I'll pull the trigger on the 1020 after a few drinks late tomorrow. :smile:

The 1520 sure does look exciting...very tempting but the size puts me off somewhat.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Shambolic is right.

I actually cancelled my order before changing my mind and reinstating it. Why should I lose out on the phone I want because O2 have been so incompetence?

One plus side though is that I've rediscovered how good the camera on the Lumia 925 really is. I'd resigned myself to making do with the 925 and started taking some photos on it again.

Well at least you managed to cancel yours. Ive cancelled mine twice now, yet its still due to be delivered on the 25th along with everyone elses.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Don't suppose if anyone knows whether Phones4U are including the accessory bundle with their price of ?549 for an unlocked 1020 please?

Popped into Phones4U today and they confirmed that the accessory pack will not be available on the sim free phones.

Expansys or Clove it is then!

Salem874

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Just got a text from UKMail saying mine is due to be delivered tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

So i guess I should expect my text soon?

I got another "delayed" text this morning, saying that they "might not be able to deliver on Fri" (Friday 20th was the day i rescheduled mine to).

I guess i should now expect to get a text soon? My consignment number is still showing as "01 - Not received" (since Friday 08:00) under Delivery Details, with delivery expected the 20th....

almondslice

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
My UKMail status ' This Consignment is not available for redelivery.'

I'm hoping this status changes and It automatically gets delivery on the 25th. Finges crossed.

Salem874

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I called UK Mail & O2 at about 6pm today, in summary

UK Mail:
  • Package not received, last scanned on 17th (or 18th, cant remember) in Liverpool
  • Said to contact O2 about delivery

O2
  • O2 said order was dispatched 16/09/2013 (ie same date as email & texts), delivery expected tomorrow.
  • After explaining this is NOT what UK Mail said, they went away and then confirmed the confusion (as i mention in this thread on Friday), saying O2 was holding it at their depot til 25th, at which point UK Mail will pick the handsets up and delivery same day (which i find hard to believe. Since when does an item get dispatched from supplier/provider and get delivered the same day)?
  • I asked a few times if they can guarantee it'll come on 25th, told yes

Now checking UK Mail, it says delivery tomorrow, between 1:30 & 5:30, yet my day off is 25th as I was told numerous times it'll be delivered then

The status of my order on MyO2 has changed from "In Progress" (at about 5pm) to "Complete" (now)

This order with O2 has been a damn mess!!

I'm usually very happy with O2's customer service, but I'm really considering submitting an official complaint regarding the lack of Customer Service in the last week. I've called/chatted so many times just to get a simple clarification but could never get anything out of them. I only knew that handsets would not arrive last week after a DM from UK Mail. At least if i submit a complaint it'll be properly looked at.

Last edited:

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Gonna have a chat with O2 tomorrow about a deal for the 64GB 1020. I don't mind paying the extra cost compared to the 32GB but the added cost of an unwanted airtime contract is likely to tip the balance. Anyway, I'll see what they have to say tomorrow.

Very disappointed with Phones 4 U though. Despite my finely honed charm, they were unwilling to budge on including the accessory kit with the sim free 1020. In this day and age, I thought they would do a little more to get my custom?? Granted sim free phones don't make much money for them but there's always room for a compromise.

Rod Hull

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
UK Mail website still says that I'll get my phone last week, and I still can't see the status of my order on O2's website as I get an overly friendly "oops" message. This is despite telling them about it last nine days ago (and several times since) and they still haven't sorted it. I'm beginning to wonder whether the extra 32gb is actually worth it!

pezley

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
for anyone arguing that phone companies should be bending over backwards to keep your custom youre a bit out of date with how mobile carriers work now.

You can thank Apple for changing that landscape, it used to be the case that your could argue for anything because they would always recoup costs via data/text/minutes but since the iPhone came out and unlimited data packages are now a standard they need to make the money back on the handset. Apple do not let anyone subsidize their handset. They want full retail cost per device and because they can, other companies are now doing the same. This is why the introduction of 24 month contracts started.

Sad times.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
for anyone arguing that phone companies should be bending over backwards to keep your custom youre a bit out of date with how mobile carriers work now.

You can thank Apple for changing that landscape, it used to be the case that your could argue for anything because they would always recoup costs via data/text/minutes but since the iPhone came out and unlimited data packages are now a standard they need to make the money back on the handset. Apple do not let anyone subsidize their handset. They want full retail cost per device and because they can, other companies are now doing the same. This is why the introduction of 24 month contracts started.

Sad times.

Haggling still works but ymmv. I've successfully haggled free stuff from my phone carrier in the past..also from Nokia too. Sometimes the answer is no but it's still worth a try.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion