Lumia 1020 - UK Release - 12TH September

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Tried to find the T&C online as I thought you had to cancel within 7 days. I think it meant if you wanted to return the item back (but in your case, you want to keep it). Maybe its a shop bought thing, whereas mine was via online - different T&C I think.

I don't think its too bad to honest of what people made out. There is a hint of yellowness, and to get around was to increase ISO or something like that. this forum has lots of good info! the 808 and 925 people say produces better photo then 1020 - jury is out on that as I can't compare as I had neither!

to get rid of yellow in xenon shots and get sharper pics with more detail set iso at 100 and turn shutter speed up , the phone uses something like 1/30 second and that is very slow for xenon shots so crank the shutter speed right up

it also uses a higher iso which loses detail but lets in more light at the exspense of more noise in the image , lower iso wont let as much light in but it will be much cleaner so the lower the iso the cleaner the image , the higer the iso the more noise will be visible but more light will be gathered in the shot

with an xenon shot you dont need the shutter open for long as the xenon flash is so quick and freezes time anyways with the shutter open longer you are letting in light from say house lights that are then giving an orange glow , you also dont need high iso as there will be light from the xenon flash to light the scene so lower the iso to keep the image clean when using xenon flash

i took some pictures yesterday one on auto and the others with the settings iso 100 and then i cranked up the shutter speeds faster then 1/30 second at different stages , the images with faster shutter speeds came out much cleaner with much better detail and much better colour reproduction in fact when zoomed in the hairs on my friends arm were smudged in auto mode but you could define all the hairs on his arms in the pictures with the lower iso and faster shutter speeds when using xenon

the only thing with the sort of settings i have said about is the whole scene wont be as exposed as well , the subject will be but the background wont be and will be darker but to me it looks better then the yellow glow and also gives more detail :)

if anyone isnt happy with the camera they should play with the settings a bit as the sensor and optics are great its just the jpeg processing and auto mode selection that seems to cause peoples problems with the camera :) id expect nokia to roll out a fix in the near future though :)

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Guys, to clarify, the O2 Refresh tariff can be cancelled at any time once you've settled the phone plan. Before or after 7 days doesn't matter.

Yep..just confirmed this with their live support.

Have to say, I'm impressed with O2 so far. Prompt and helpful response to my questions.

I know some people have had some issues getting their phones but I've no complaints so far.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Yep..just confirmed this with their live support.

Have to say, I'm impressed with O2 so far. Prompt and helpful response to my questions.

I know some people have had some issues getting their phones but I've no complaints so far.

yep they looked after me well when i had some questions too mate , as for the full body protector , just dont make it over wet and youll be fine mate , they go on quite nicely the wet ones and you can slide them into position pretty easily then squeeze out any excess liquid , like i say just dont make it over wet , use a fine mist from a spray gun if you have one ;-)

also dont worry if when 1st fitted there is a little haze in places , ina few hours you will notice its looking better and within 24 hours itll look perfect :) i had one on my 920 and it kept the phone pristine ;-) also handy if you use cases as it protects the housing of the phone getting worn from dust between the case and the phone , the only downside is it ruins the matte feel of the phone

oh and if you want to buy my extras get in touch via pm i am sure we can sort something out ;-)

Last edited:

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
yep they looked after me well when i had some questions too mate , as for the full body protector , just dont make it over wet and youll be fine mate , they go on quite nicely the wet ones and you can slide them into position pretty easily then squeeze out any excess liquid , like i say just dont make it over wet , use a fine mist from a spray gun if you have one ;-)

also dont worry if when 1st fitted there is a little haze in places , ina few hours you will notice its looking better and within 24 hours itll look perfect :) i had one on my 920 and it kept the phone pristine ;-) also handy if you use cases as it protects the housing of the phone getting worn from dust between the case and the phone , the only downside is it ruins the matte feel of the phone

oh and if you want to buy my extras get in touch via pm i am sure we can sort something out ;-)

I'll give the body protector a go tomorrow...

I may be sorted for accessories. It has taken the most bizarre piece of luck, but I'll find out tomorrow. Should have a tripod, plate, shell, grip and a yellow grip sorted this time tomorrow but will keep your offer in mind :)

pezley

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Let me know if you have any questions with the full body protectors from ScreenProof, the first time can in fact be a little daunting. The idea of spraying water on your phone is very counter intuitive ! But it really is an easy process if you take your time.

I have also had some questions regarding the adhesive, they will leave no residue on the phone once removed and it will not in any way damage the matte feel of the handset.

We are also looking at options for Matte back material specifically for devices such as the 1020 but it hasn't been tested yet and is a way off. It's definitely something we would like to offer in the furture.

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I'll give the body protector a go tomorrow...

I may be sorted for accessories. It has taken the most bizarre piece of luck, but I'll find out tomorrow. Should have a tripod, plate, shell, grip and a yellow grip sorted this time tomorrow but will keep your offer in mind :)

Would you still be able to use the body protector with the wireless plate thingy and camera holder? I was thinking, over time as you take it off, the body protector will get worn/rubbed/peeled off.

pezley

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I would like to answer that but I havent recieved my accessories as of yet to be able to test.
I don't see the back itself being a problem but the corners potentially. If It's a problem I can make custom back which don't cover the corners.

The ScreenProof back material is so thin though ( 0.1 mm ) that I can't see it being a problem as is. Will update when the accessories arrive. Unless anyone with a ScreenProof protector and accessories can already answer that question ?

MrZippo

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
For those of you still sitting on the fence in regards to pezley's screen protectors here is my short review on them.
I am no expert when it comes to these things but I have used many screen protectors in the past ranging from Clarivue, Martin sheilds, Zagg, Steinheil and various other non branded screen protectors but I have never used a wet type before.
I decided to bite the bullet and try one of pezley's protectors due to the fact that from what I researched there didn't seem to be a dry screen protector that covered the entire front screen of the Lumia 1020.
When I received the screen protectors they came with decent enough instructions and I managed to fit the front one with no problems, I have to admit that the back one was a bit problematic for me because I found that getting the sides to stick were proving tricky, I ended up botching it up (my fault mainly) A quick PM to pezley and he quickly provided me with a replacement free of charge (top guy and top service) within 24 hours.
Due to feedback on me having trouble sticking the back protector on, pezley uploaded a how to video and I when I received the replacement I follow it and managed to install it hitch free.

You do lose the matte feel of the housing but the protectors give the phone a smoother and slightly more grippier feel, I have no problems with the touch sensitivity of the screen and the protectors are very thin yet are well stuck on. People I have showed the phone to don't even realise that there is a protector on due to how flush it fits. The display doesn't seem to lose any clarity or sharpness from what I can see.

I guess the only downside would be that the very small areas that are not covered (around the side edges) can attract dirt easily and can show up very clearly on white, but that's expected and I imagine it would not be noticable on a black or yellow phone.

Overall I would highly recommend the screen protectors especially if you are looking for as close to naked as you can get with some added protection without a case.

Here are some pics of the protector installed on my white 1020.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
For those of you still sitting on the fence in regards to pezley's screen protectors here is my short review on them.
I am no expert when it comes to these things but I have used many screen protectors in the past ranging from Clarivue, Martin sheilds, Zagg, Steinheil and various other non branded screen protectors but I have never used a wet type before.
I decided to bite the bullet and try one of pezley's protectors due to the fact that from what I researched there didn't seem to be a dry screen protector that covered the entire front screen of the Lumia 1020.
When I received the screen protectors they came with decent enough instructions and I managed to fit the front one with no problems, I have to admit that the back one was a bit problematic for me because I found that getting the sides to stick were proving tricky, I ended up botching it up (my fault mainly) A quick PM to pezley and he quickly provided me with a replacement free of charge (top guy and top service) within 24 hours.
Due to feedback on me having trouble sticking the back protector on, pezley uploaded a how to video and I when I received the replacement I follow it and managed to install it hitch free.

You do lose the matte feel of the housing but the protectors give the phone a smoother and slightly more grippier feel, I have no problems with the touch sensitivity of the screen and the protectors are very thin yet are well stuck on. People I have showed the phone to don't even realise that there is a protector on due to how flush it fits. The display doesn't seem to lose any clarity or sharpness from what I can see.

I guess the only downside would be that the very small areas that are not covered (around the side edges) can attract dirt easily and can show up very clearly on white, but that's expected and I imagine it would not be noticable on a black or yellow phone.

Overall I would highly recommend the screen protectors especially if you are looking for as close to naked as you can get with some added protection without a case.

Here are some pics of the protector installed on my white 1020.

[url]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/MrZippo/Phone%20pics/P1000973.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/MrZippo/Phone%20pics/P1000974.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/MrZippo/Phone%20pics/P1000981.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/MrZippo/Phone%20pics/P1000984.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/MrZippo/Phone%20pics/P1000989.jpg[/URL]

Looks really good.

Nice one for sharing the photos.

textvscall

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Audible Noise from Camera Lens

I received my yellow 1020 from o2 on the day of release. I noticed that in all of the videos I shot (two videos in near silent rooms) that there was a 'white noise/static noise' when playing any recorded video.

I put the camera lens next to my ear and I can hear the same sound in the video. This sound is only audible once the nokia pro cam app has been launched. Nokia Support tole me to hard reset and then factory reset but the problem remains. I notified o2 about this fault this past Monday and they said that they would send a replacement out once stock has arrived. I received an update today via phone call stating that the expected stock has not arrived but it may arrive over the weekend and I'll be kept updated.

I paid of the remaining cash price of the phone and moved to pay and go but luckily I'm still within the 14 day period when I reported the fault so o2 will send a replacement and collect my current device because of this. Otherwise it would have to go through Nokia.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? It is a audible noise from the actual camera lends once the pro cam is open which is captured during video when recoding video.

I haven't opened any of my accessories as I'm hoping to exchange them at a o2 store for yellow accessories but none of my local o2 stores have any accessories in stock.

Thank you.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Operation O2 completed today...

Phone plan paid off in full. Cancelled airtime contract. Phone already unlocked.

?580 for unlocked 64GB 1020.

Wham, bam, thank you O2!

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Now to try and complete all the games that I have already completed on the 920...

Parking Mania
Fragger
Cut the Rope
iStunt 2
SCH3
Super Golf Land
4 Pics 1 Word
Where's My Water
Where's My Perry

Gonna take bloody ages!

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
For those that you tried the 02 refresh plan with a 64gb lumia -- Just to let you know that despite paying for the phone one-off fee and paying the remaining phone time contract (24 x ?10), today I got lumbered with ?390 air time (?17 x 23?) bill!:grincry:

quick online chat with customer service, and they cleared that bill.

Just to warn you and advise you to keep checking your bill!

Last edited:

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
For those that you tried the 02 refresh plan with a 64gb lumia -- Just to let you know that despite paying for the phone one-off fee and paying the remaining phone time contract (24 x ?10), today I got lumbered with ?390 air time (?17 x 23?) bill!:grincry:

Cheers for the tip. Will keep my eye on the bill next month :)

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site

Same here. I was told that the adviser that took my payment on the phone plan selected the wrong reason code and that's why a bill was generated. It's been cleared by customer services but I'd advise you all to check.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans