Has anyone noticed call quality issues with the Lumia 1020?

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Apart from being a bit on the quiet side, the sound quality for calls is perfectly fine on my 1020 using LTE on AT&T. I don't do much talking on the phone but I recently did a 45 minute call in an area where I get 1-3 bars and it worked flawlessly.

klias1983

May 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm so happy - had the same problem and turning on the telecoil thing just worked!

Ok, so just to make sure, turning on the telecoil worked for you, right? I posted it twice already as a possible fix in this forum topic and you are the only one so far who has said it has worked for them, besides me. If so, I hope more people can try this as well and stop sending their phone back.

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so just to make sure, turning on the telecoil worked for you, right? I posted it twice already as a possible fix in this forum topic and you are the only one so far who has said it has worked for them, besides me. If so, I hope more people can try this as well and stop sending their phone back.

OK I turned telecoil on and placed a call to my voicemail and then turned it off and placed the call gain.
It was somewhat better with telecoil on.

More testing to be done but looks better with it on so far.

klias1983

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Where can I turn the telecoil... I can't find the word anywhere on configurations

Here's what you do:
1) go to settings (that's the gear icon)
2) within settings, scroll down to and select EASE OF ACCESS
3) within EASE OF ACCESS scroll down and turn on TELECOIL

Ease of access and telecoil are not capitalized, its just a way to make sure you know what your looking for. To be clear, this is for Nokia phones. HTC, Samsung and whoever else uses different tech and names for these types of settings.

Also, again, I'm not guaranteeing that this is a fix. It seemed to work for me, so I wanted to pass it along.

obakir

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem with 925. on my phone the problem doesn't appear to happen with wi-fi calling. I think the sound is very sharp compared to my old phone (nokia n9) but the buzzing or noise at of some sounds is annoying. I turned on the telecoil which helped the noise issue, but I think it made the sound less crisp. It sounds exactly like n9 now. The whole problem sounds like a sound filtering issue. some frequencies get more noise, wi-fi could be using different filters. It should be fixable with software update.

I tried putting on headphones, again those noises are filtered out. Sounds pretty good. I hope they'll correct it with an update.

Last edited:

MrTwizzle

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here. I just bought my 1020 yesterday. Turning on telecoil helped the static issue but lowered the crispness of the sound. I was considering returning it for a replacement but after hearing some people getting multiple replacements with the same issue, I'm not sure its worth it the headache. Thanks to whoever posted about the telecoil though.

klias1983

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Same problem here. I just bought my 1020 yesterday. Turning on telecoil helped the static issue but lowered the crispness of the sound. I was considering returning it for a replacement but after hearing some people getting multiple replacements with the same issue, I'm not sure its worth it the headache. Thanks to whoever posted about the telecoil though.

Your welcome. I figured, after riding the forums a while I'd try to help some people out.

eeewing

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
This is incredibly disappointing! I wish I had found this thread earlier, as I'm now on my third 1020 in 1.5 weeks with this issue (I exchanged the first two because I thought this had to be a manufacturing defect). I'm not pleased with this at all, since this device is supposed to be a phone first and foremost. Are there any 1020 owners out there not experiencing this issue?

Edit 12/3/13: Something else I noticed tonight -- and I can't help but to think is related -- is that I can adjust the in-call volume to 0/10, yet still hear the other party plainly. I would estimate the volume level to be similar to 5/10 on my old Lumia 920. Possible that the static sound is just distortion from the phone's volume settings being borked? In fact, I hear almost no distortion till I get to volume level 4/10 on this device. Can anyone else confirm? If this is the problem, does anyone know of a hidden tool that allows the earpiece volume to be tweaked? Seems like I read about such a thing once, though pertaining to a different model...

Edit 12/3/13 #2: Okay, I picked up a fourth 1020 today on Nokia's suggestion and it is having the EXACT same issues. Build dates on all have varied between 7/31/13 and 8/7/13, if it makes any difference. Tested the phone using Nokia Care Suite, and found no issues...and heard no static on the audio output tests. I'm nearly convinced that the problem lies in the firmware; that is, there is a setting somewhere that is turning the earpiece volume way, way up and is distorting the audio quality as heard through the earpiece speaker. I contacted Nokia, who insists it is a hardware defect...but four in a row? I'm either the unluckiest phone buyer on Earth, or there's something else at play. Does anyone own a Lumia 1020 not experiencing these issues?

Last edited:

stnnetindia

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
yes i too having this problem with my lumia 720. If i keep volume level 4-5 it is some what comfortable, but still hissy/scratchy sound can hear. i have tried resetting, changing the SIM and all, but no use.

since i am using lumia 720, I can't find telecoil option in mobile. any other workaround? whether TTD/TTY will do the trick?

I know there is no use of exchanging this phone, i may get another one after waiting few weeks with same issue. Happy to say, apart from the call quality, my lumia is excellent.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb