So is the Lumia 1020 obsolete now?

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Not even close. My next phone is a Verizon variant of the 1020. The 6" will be just too big. In addition, I don't like the new tile layout on the 6". There are more tiles, sure, but the large tiles are actually smaller on the 6" compared to the large tiles on the 1020/8xx/9xx phones. Same with medium and small tiles sizes. So no thank you.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I apologize then. I originally started this thread because I listened to the people around here that, well all the Lumia line has outdated internals. In fact, I'm waiting to get the 1020 as an upgrade to my Lumia 620 but this certain thought was pulling me back. I guess now I'll just have to wait until the 1020 arrives in here and stop cluelessly posting threads.

No need to apologize. No one can dispute that the Lumia phones don't have the latest and greatest internals. Even the $200 LG-manufactured Nexus 4 released in Nov. 2012 runs circles around the brand new 1020 in my experience, although much of that could be attributed to the OS. (Ha ha ha.) But this doesn't mean the 1020 is obsolete. The internals are good enough for most purposes and things generally run fast enough. And the camera and display are certainly top notch, which counts for a lot in my book.

Junaid96

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Alright, so the 1020 isn't obsolete but rather a mid range device with an exceptional camera?

Mid-range? Seriously? The 1020 is the best-specced device that the Lumia line has ever come out with.

And don't say that it's still poorly specced compared to Android phones. WP (and iOS) is a much more optimized and efficient OS than Android. It does not require that much juice to power it up.

a_rob

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
QUOTE: "And hopefully they'll put an end to this idiotic 6-month release cycle. Like I said, for the average consumer the actual hardware is irrelevant. In their minds new is better. So the other side effect here is that people are buying phones that get replaced within 6 months, leaving people feeling abandoned."

I really do think you've got this pretty wrong! Sure, if Nokia kept releasing a newer version of a single handset sure, 6 month cycle is OTT. But this isn't what Nokia is doing - Nokia has a catalogue covering price/spec points from the low end to the high end, releasing different price points with different releases. It's not like it's the iPhone where there is only really 1 device (5/5C/5S really are iterations of the same things, whereas the Lumias 520/620/720/820/920 with their upgrades to Lumia 1520/625/925/1020 etc cover a range of prices and specifications). There is no confusion...just price/spec options depending on how deep your pockets are and what your smartphone needs are.

QUOTE: "From an actual hardware perspective, Lumia 920/925/928/1020 internals were already on the tail end of the current generation back when the 920 was released last year. Now they're clearly last gen, barely qualifying as mid-range in Android."

Simple point to make here - WP, Android and iOS are different operating systems with different hardware requirements. It's been clearly established that what's needed for a mid- or high-range Android device isn't the equivalent to what's needed for a mid- or high-range WP device. WP runs better than Android on so-called 'mid-range' specs, and then there's the delay imposed by Qualcomm to enable support WP8 on their latest SOCs. To try to force this bogus argument shows a certain lack of understanding about what you're complaining about.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
The new GDR3 phones with quad-core CPUs and 2GB RAM will make existing Windows Phone obsolete regardless of what people owning current phones are saying to make themselves feel better.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
And don't say that it's still poorly specced compared to Android phones. WP (and iOS) is a much more optimized and efficient OS than Android. It does not require that much juice to power it up.
* until GDR3 comes out. then you won't need more than quad-cores to power it up. so on and so forth.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
The new GDR3 phones with quad-core CPUs and 2GB RAM will make existing Windows Phone obsolete regardless of what people owning current phones are saying to make themselves feel better.

Do you know the definition of obsolete? Just because better spec'd phones will be coming out doesn't mean these phones will stop functioning in a way that will negatively impact the user experience.

There is such a variety of power/graphics from the 520 all the way up to the 1520 that apps will continue to be made to work on a majority of devices, not a small percentage of them. GDR3 and Blue will be on all WP8 devices according to Nokia and MS meaning users will still get the new features.

There is a big difference between phones having lower specs and phones being rendered useless.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Most people don't want a 6 inch phone, so for most people it doesn't matter how good the 1520 is.

Good thing Nokia/MS doesn't cater to "most people" then because for those of us who apparently aren't "most people" a 6 inch screen is a perfect compromise between a "too big to carry on your belt and hold up to your ear" tablet and a "too small to do meaningful things on" phone.

The "most people" argument is probably why we don't have physical keyboards, so for those of us who want things like bigger phones and physical keyboards and super cool cameras in our phones I'm glad the manufactures don't always listen to "most people". We hear the same "most people" crap when people talk about a 41MP camera being unnecessary too. Who cares? I'm surprised WP users would even start with the "most people don't want this" crap because by using Windows Phone, YOU ARE ALREADY NOT MOST PEOPLE!

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I remember the arguments when WP8 was around the corner and people that had just bought the 920 were howling about it. Which is understandable since over the life of their new phones, some apps written for WP8 are now out of reach.

I thought then as I do now that MS made the right call on this. Whenever I consider my 1020 to be obsolete whether 6 mos, 1 year or 5 years down the road I'm glad that Windows Phone will have something viable to move into. Had they stayed with the old kernel to placate people that had just bought into high end models, Windows Phone would have been that much more delayed in their ability to move into the new processors and displays and would have been permanently shunted off as an unique quirky thing that didn't last too long...

I think I agree with others here who have stated that obsolescence occurs when production is no longer underway and the manufacturer stops supporting any given model. But to me, real obsolescence occurs when I as the owner no longer find what I own to be useful.

Surprisingly, the 808 was around 6 months for me before hitting obsolescence - and I think it arguably has the better overall camera mechanism. However, the email and internet clients on Belle through not being supported anymore fell so far behind to where they weren't very well functional anymore made the phone useless except for taking out for weekends - so the 808 became the same thing as my Canon PowerShot. The rest of the working week, I really didn't like using it and found myself missing the Lumia 900 as a phone. Once the 1020 came out I jumped on it and sold my 808.

On the other hand, I use and maintain two feature phones - Nokia 6610 and Sony T637 as emergency phones and some days I actually enjoy going retro and burning up some of my prepaid SIM that I have. The 6610 I rebuilt completely - there are still to this day OEM components available such as keyboards, LCD screens, batteries, etc. The T637 just took an OEM battery as my original just wouldn't recharge well (after a decade).

So in my experience I have two decade-old phones that can still take new parts that I find useful in a pinch and still enjoyable to use sometimes in their own right - so I don't really consider them truly obsolete. On the other hand the 808 which IMO could have been the top of the line in the industry with either Window Phone OS - or some kind of updated super Symbian if Nokia hadn't dropped that OS - became obsolete faster than I normally go through phones even though my primary consideration with any smartphone is the type of camera.

I guess everything hinges around defining what obsolete is for any one user..

nola75

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
This is the last generation of true Nokia phones. Inevitably, each of the top end devices will have a successor. Not yet though and it will be a Microsoft product with a Nokia lineage. I will be considering that fact before I move on to the "upgraded" product because the value may be missing that a Nokia successor might have provided. Specs do matter but it will be a while before the higher specs generate more real functionality on the windows platform. The 1520 is a nice new device but it is a different device that complements the current product line. It would have been impossible to market a 6 inch phone without the new hardware GDR3 makes possible. The 1020 successor will benefit from improved processing power but it isn't essential. We will just have to wait and see what standards Microsoft maintains when they do develop a successor to the 1020. My guess is the transition to Microsoft will extend the 1020's practical product life beyond what we could expect if Nokia had remained an independent phone manufacturer.

Junaid96

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
That's what she said..

Hilarious. I'm guessing you're about 12 years old?

Do you know the definition of obsolete? Just because better spec'd phones will be coming out doesn't mean these phones will stop functioning in a way that will negatively impact the user experience.

There is such a variety of power/graphics from the 520 all the way up to the 1520 that apps will continue to be made to work on a majority of devices, not a small percentage of them. GDR3 and Blue will be on all WP8 devices according to Nokia and MS meaning users will still get the new features.

There is a big difference between phones having lower specs and phones being rendered useless.

I think you're the one that needs to look up the definition of obsolete. Obsolete =/= useless

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss