Lumia 1020 questions (for owners)

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Looking to buy the Lumia 1020 at the end of the year - I got to briefly play with the device earlier, but since no stores have it yet in NZ I just have a few general questions about the 1020 (mainly camera-related)

• Does the lossless zoom apply in the stock WP camera app?
  • How long is the actual processing time of a full 38MP image? Does it take longer to process both a 38MP image and the 5MP copy?
  • If you take a 38MP (or 35MP) image, can you somehow resize down to 5MP after you take the photo?
  • What is the camera hump actually made out of? It felt like some polycarb or something

Cheers guys :smile:

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
1. The lossless zoom is only used in the procam app which comes as the default out of the box. The Wp camera app is is good if you need a very quick shot for something .

2. I counted 3 seconds from the time I pressed the button to the time I can take the next pic. This is using the procam app and having it save both files.

3. From what I see in the settings there is no 38mp only option. Only 5mp only and 5 and 38mp (or 34mp and 5mp)

4. I think the humpm ight be made out of aluminum.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Cool cheers majortom1981 :D

Also, I've been reading up on a lot of issues 1020 owners have been having on their phones - is the phone actually that unreliable? I know it's a relatively new product, but some of the issues in the forums like random reboots and failed headphone jacks would be a real deal-breaker for me........I'm planning on getting the phone next week as my old Nokia dumbphone is dying (symbian notwithstanding)

Lurchorama

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Ive had my 1020 for a week now. Got it outright at DSE.
Never had a random reboot.
The only 'dodgyness' Ive found with the headphone jack wasnt the headphone jack but the rubbish plug that is on the end of the headphones that come with it.

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
The vast majority of people that buy a 1020 will have no problems, Nokia know what they are doing. The problems you read about in this forum are a very small sample of people that have naturally sought help and opinions for problems they may or may not have had. It's not a true reflection of the reliability of the phone.

I dId have an issue with my first handset but it was easily and quickly resolved with a replacement unit which is excellent. Don't forget that Nokia provide a two year warranty.

The phone is an incredible piece of kit, get one and enjoy it.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I like to research any major products before I buy them.....I don't like to go wrong with these things, and once I played with the 1020 in-store I was convinced when I walked out. Will current WP8 devices get 8.1? Wasn't there like a press statement that said that they should?

Also off-topic, but does anyone know the highest-quality codec WP8 currently supports playback for music? I have a lot of lossless AIFF files in iTunes, ideally I would not like to go back and rip all my CDs

Sorry for all these noob questions, switching over from iOS 6 after they ditched support for my iPhone 3GS :/

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I jumped from iOS as well and I'm glad I did. I can't help with the music question but MS have said that current WP8 hardware will be upgradable.

Lurchorama

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Leave them in iTunes. I still do all my purchasing in iTunes and never had a problem getting them on my 1020. (I use a Mac with the 'Windows Phone' app)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa