How to share individual uncompressed images, via mobile?

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Obviously, you can share via Skydrive, but I don't see an option to just share a single image. Say you don't just wanna send someone a link to your whole SkyDrive account or bother making public and private folders. Is there a way to just send a direct link to an image without them having to log in? Or another way to do it via mobile. I know Photoshop compressed my upload.

To clarify, I mean via mobile. I know you can extract the full resolution off a PC.

Via email compressed a 1.4MB photo to 322KB... Lol

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
You mean a full 34 or 38 megapixel picture? I thin the fe is 10mb so there is not way to do it but you can send the oversampled 5 mp pic.

Not sure on this, but I get my 1020 today and can't wait.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
You mean a full 34 or 38 megapixel picture? I thin the fe is 10mb so there is not way to do it but you can send the oversampled 5 mp pic.

Not sure on this, but I get my 1020 today and can't wait.

no, just the 5MP photo. I can't even see how to send that without it being compressed more, except SkyDrive. I don't wanna share my SkyDrive account info.

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
no, just the 5MP photo. I can't even see how to send that without it being compressed more, except SkyDrive. I don't wanna share my SkyDrive account info.

Surely there is a way to link it to an email? I do not have my 1020 yet but I am sure someone can help.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Obviously, you can share via Skydrive, but I don't see an option to just share a single image. Say you don't just wanna send someone a link to your whole SkyDrive account or bother making public and private folders. Is there a way to just send a direct link to an image without them having to log in? Or another way to do it via mobile. I know Photoshop compressed my upload.

To clarify, I mean via mobile. I know you can extract the full resolution off a PC.

Via email compressed a 1.4MB photo to 322KB... Lol

1. Skydrive removes the requirement to login to view the shared file a long time ago. Now you can open the skydrive app, press and hold the picture you want to share, then choose share. you can either send the link through email or copy the link to clipboard and then send it through a text messaging program of your choice.
2. Buy Pocket file manager ($1 I think). This program has the functionality to send uncompressed picture through email.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
1. Skydrive removes the requirement to login to view the shared file a long time ago. Now you can open the skydrive app, press and hold the picture you want to share, then choose share. you can either send the link through email or copy the link to clipboard and then send it through a text messaging program of your choice.
2. Buy Pocket file manager ($1 I think). This program has the functionality to send uncompressed picture through email.

Thanks man. My issue is, when you share a SkyDrive file, it just sends you to the SkyDrive account. I just wanna share single files. I mean, even if I click to see the original image in a new page and copy that web address, all it does is ask the other person to log in. I don't really get why they require a log in for a direct link, but you can "share" them a link and they can view your whole account. ? Lol

Admittedly, I only emailed it to myself to test. Perhaps its different to another person who isn't signed in. It sends me straight to my gallery though.

I'll check out that app, thanks!

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I saw this thread and was like "yeah that's been bothering me, isn't there some way to do that?"

Let's face it, Skydrive is kind of lame when it comes to sharing pics. Then I realized: imgur! Sure enough, there's a great imgur app for WP8 called Grin - and it's free with no ads, even:

Grin is the best Imgur app for Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone Central

I just tried it out and it works wonderfully. Just set it up, go to your camera roll (outside the app) and choose Share, choose Grin in the list, upload the pic (or pics, you can do multiple), and then it will give you a direct link to the full-res (5MP) image with a handy button to copy that link to the clipboard. The default link goes to the imgur page but you can also get links (from the app) that go directly to the full-res image. Here are some examples that I just uploaded:

National Archives - Imgur
http://i.imgur.com/EJLICXT.jpg

DC metro - Imgur
http://i.imgur.com/K1aRCj1.jpg

Aerogel - Imgur
http://i.imgur.com/SQ61Kc4.jpg

Some crazy piano - Imgur
http://i.imgur.com/4jKcB5A.jpg

Note that two of these are less than 5MP because I zoomed and/or cropped the image on the phone. So much for lossless zoom I guess.

Also note that imgur will recompress the images to have a smaller file size, but it keeps them at their original resolution. It seems to do a very good job of doing this without noticeably hurting the quality. So if you want the absolute highest quality this isn't going to do it for you, but if you just want to share the image at its original (5MP) res, it works great.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Grin is an excellent option. Thanks for the tip! I don't mind slight compression as long as I don't see a bunch of compression artifacts and I don't with Grin.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss