Lumia 1020 shot lag time

roastbeefalo

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have seen that the 1020 can take some time to take the first photo (3-5 seconds according to another thread). However, I am wondering what the lag time is once the camera app is already open. In other words, with the camera app open, does the Lumia 1020 have a noticeable shutter lag between pressing the button and taking the shot? One of my biggest complaints about many digital cameras is shutter lag, and it is a large reason why we moved to a digital SLR. With kids and many photos, shutter lag is the key factor preventing me from getting the shot I wanted. Any insight from owners would be appreciated before I splash out the money.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Using the normal camera app is as fast as any other windows phone. Apps like SmartCam, Cinemagraph etc.. open up pretty fast. It is only the ProCam app which takes time to open and save betqween shots.

That said I have read many posts from owners claiming it is over exaggerated, I think you should use the device once before making a decision. You are getting something close to better point and shoots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMB7Zi8Yz6I

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Even with the Pro Cam application saving both a 3x and a 5 MP shot at the same time, the delay doesn't seem that excessive to me thanks to the 2 GB of RAM. Also, the default/standard camera app is super fast at taking your shots and the Pro cam app is really designed for those moments when you can afford to take your time to fiddle around with the many settings to get the perfect shot.
If you want to take pictures of your kids then just use the Sports mode of the default/standard camera application.

roastbeefalo

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My question was more about shutter lag - the time between pressing the photo button and taking the shot. Sorry if I wasn't clear. With the camera application already open, is there any shutter lag?

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If your looking for shot to shot performance it is all in saving the pictures. its pretty quick if you only have it save the 5 megapixel shots.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
You need to use the camera to see if the lag is what you expect (better/worse/indifferent) and whether you feel it is worth the money. I would be lying if I said I didn't miss shots because of the shutter delay. My Yorkie poses for me so I take quite a few pictures of him. Unfortuantely, he thinks he is "done" when he sees the auto-focus light go on/off. I can usually convince him to stay with a look and I get the shot, but there have been a few times where a photo will go from sitting attentively to OMG it's a camera, ATTACK!

roastbeefalo

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else have thoughts on shutter lag? I went to the store and used it, the shutter lag was not awful but was not nearly as quick as the dSLR that I have. I also thought it was slightly slower than the iPhone 5 that my wife uses. However, this was an indoor setting so the shutter lag may be better outdoors. The picture quality was very good, you could tell that just by zooming on the phone screen.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The phone really needs a Sanp 800 SoC in there ... it will make the whole camera package perform much, much better.

roastbeefalo

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
This is what I was looking for. According to the post linked below, shutter lag (time from pressing button to taking photo) is:
In very good lightning condition:
Iphone 5 is about 0.2 sec
my Nokia N8 about 0.3 sec
Nokia 808 about 0.4 sec.
Nokia 1020 0.8 sec.

Re: What is the shutter lag of Nokia 1020?: Mobile Photography Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

As that poster states, that is a deal breaker for me. When I take a photo it is usually of people (like kids) and 0.8 seconds would miss the photo. I wonder if the 1520 is any better?

Zerveone

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
To answer Your question, OP
Yes, 1020 has a noticeable shutter lag. You need to time your fingers right, to tap the screen just before You want the shot to happen. Had this problem when I was shooting my friend riding a cross bike (we had to make a couple of replays so I could get the hang of it and time it right). To be honest I never really took my time to measure it exactly, but it feels more like ~0.5 sec (closer to Your nokia 808 figure) I can't be sure though. But if You want your shot to be just instant as You tap... it's not going to happen, at least not with with Nokia Camera. I would have to check if apps like ProShot have it reduced.

6029KingStephen

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
roastbeefalo, I think one thing worth knowing is that the timelag quoted above is for the Nokia Camera app (which is excellent) but it is much much quicker on the "default" Windows Phone 8 camera app, feels almost instant.

What I like to do is have the default camera app activated by the camera button for those times I want a quick pic, or to shoot something like a hyperactive kid. If I have time to take the photos I want, I open Nokia Camera from the home screen. I find this a good mix.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
This is what I was looking for. According to the post linked below, shutter lag (time from pressing button to taking photo) is:
In very good lightning condition:
Iphone 5 is about 0.2 sec
my Nokia N8 about 0.3 sec
Nokia 808 about 0.4 sec.
Nokia 1020 0.8 sec.

Re: What is the shutter lag of Nokia 1020?: Mobile Photography Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

As that poster states, that is a deal breaker for me. When I take a photo it is usually of people (like kids) and 0.8 seconds would miss the photo. I wonder if the 1520 is any better?

0.8sec!? No way, I just took 4 shots to check, I could count to 4 mississippis before it let me take another picture. (4 seconds) One shot took over 5 seconds. Nothing less than 4 seconds though. So yes, there is a shot to shot lag time. Of course if you take only 5mp photos using the stock camera app, the delay is much less noticeable.

On the other hand, I wonder if this can be fixed in software though. For example, in iOS6+ when you take an HDR picture, it's almost instantaneous. My friend was doing it on his iphone 4 and I was like wow, that was so fast with a crappy single core processor. But then he showed me that if you go back into the camera roll, a little circle is spinning around the image while it processes. (So it's not that fast) Basically it pushes the photo processing to the side and lets you continue to use the phone while it processes the pic. I really hope WP8.1 implements something like that. I'm pretty sure Android has the same thing as well.

roastbeefalo

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks 6029. I can understand that the shot to shot time lag for the full size photos would be longer, but why would shutter lag be longer in the Nokia app? I am not even talking about the lag including the startup of the camera app, but rather the shutter lag assuming the camera app is already running. In other words, assuming the camera app is running, and I hit the shutter button, how long before the picture is taken? It is primarily a delay due to the camera focussing. If someone is running, or laughing, that moment could be over if the shutter lag is poor.

ssjmec

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
0.8sec!? No way, I just took 4 shots to check, I could count to 4 mississippis before it let me take another picture. (4 seconds) One shot took over 5 seconds. Nothing less than 4 seconds though. So yes, there is a shot to shot lag time. Of course if you take only 5mp photos using the stock camera app, the delay is much less noticeable.

On the other hand, I wonder if this can be fixed in software though. For example, in iOS6+ when you take an HDR picture, it's almost instantaneous. My friend was doing it on his iphone 4 and I was like wow, that was so fast with a crappy single core processor. But then he showed me that if you go back into the camera roll, a little circle is spinning around the image while it processes. (So it's not that fast) Basically it pushes the photo processing to the side and lets you continue to use the phone while it processes the pic. I really hope WP8.1 implements something like that. I'm pretty sure Android has the same thing as well.

I think what the OP was talking about, is different on what you are suggesting. In my understanding, it's not the shot-to-shot time, but the time it takes when you press the shutter (assuming camera app is already running), and it takes the photo? Or I am the one confused here? Lol

To OP, if I was right, actually it is not that long. What makes it long is the focus time, and as the others say, taking a shot after you already took a shot. So if you are just wondering about the time it takes to capture after you press the shutter, I dont think it has a pretty long lag (unless you use it professionally and i dunno under what circumstances) but for casual shooting, i think its pretty good. Also, to overcome the focusing time, you can set the focus to manual or to infinity so it would go directly at capturing

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks 6029. I can understand that the shot to shot time lag for the full size photos would be longer, but why would shutter lag be longer in the Nokia app? I am not even talking about the lag including the startup of the camera app, but rather the shutter lag assuming the camera app is already running. In other words, assuming the camera app is running, and I hit the shutter button, how long before the picture is taken? It is primarily a delay due to the camera focussing. If someone is running, or laughing, that moment could be over if the shutter lag is poor.

Yes, we're talking about shot to shot time as well. After the app is open, when you take a picture, there is about a 4 second delay. The issue is the saving process. After you take the picture which takes about 0.5seconds(focusing and snapping) you stare at the picture you just took for about 3-4 seconds afterwards with the word saving... at the top left. The reason is because you are actually saving two pictures to the phones memory. A giant 38mp photo and a scaled 5mp photo. The standard camera app is much quicker because it only saves one 5mp photo.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I think what the OP was talking about, is different on what you are suggesting. In my understanding, it's not the shot-to-shot time, but the time it takes when you press the shutter (assuming camera app is already running), and it takes the photo? Or I am the one confused here? Lol

To OP, if I was right, actually it is not that long. What makes it long is the focus time, and as the others say, taking a shot after you already took a shot. So if you are just wondering about the time it takes to capture after you press the shutter, I dont think it has a pretty long lag (unless you use it professionally and i dunno under what circumstances) but for casual shooting, i think its pretty good. Also, to overcome the focusing time, you can set the focus to manual or to infinity so it would go directly at capturing

Oh ok, so if you're trying to figure out how long it takes to take a single shot, it's about 0.5 seconds. But if you want to take another picture right away, you can't. You have to wait 3-4 seconds for it to save before you can take another picture.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Maybe a quad core will help, if 1020 ever to have a successor. In fact, things are already better now as smart cam is built into the Nokia camera app. Imagine the frustration I had from switching between the modes before the integration. I really like how HTC One made their camera suits. Just tap and hold for sequence shots, and you can even take snap shots while doing videos. But that is only a 4MP camera. Perhaps is impossible to do such on a 41MP sensor.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Maybe a quad core will help, if 1020 ever to have a successor. In fact, things are already better now as smart cam is built into the Nokia camera app. Imagine the frustration I had from switching between the modes before the integration. I really like how HTC One made their camera suits. Just tap and hold for sequence shots, and you can even take snap shots while doing videos. But that is only a 4MP camera. Perhaps is impossible to do such on a 41MP sensor.

Sigh...yea. The iphone 5s can take 10 full resolution 8mp photos per second. I think the 1520 with it's quad core still isn't as fast as competing OSs. Nokia Camera needs to built into the OS first of all. I notice a lot of the standalone Nokia apps are quite a bit slower and laggier than the built-in windows apps. Probably a native low level access thing.

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what the lag time is between pushing the button to capturing the image. But 0.5sec sounds about right. I have twin 7 yr olds 10yr old and 12 yr old and a family cat. The 1020 has not let me down on getting the right shots as long as you understand that you can't always control everything no matter what camera you use. There will always be challenges to getting the right shot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb