Lumia 1020 shot lag time

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
who needs 10 shots a second when the xenon flash freezes time instantly?? I would much rather have xenon flash then a quick burst mode , I pretty much guarantee that if we was in a pub or a dimly lit room with people moving slightly I could take one picture on the 1020 with xenon and it would be better then any photo from any s4 , iPhone 5s , lg g2 , nexus using a burst mode ........ I would even give the other phones a 20/1 shot ratio ie I take one photo and they take 20 shots ...... I still bet the 1020 with xenon flash would freeze time better and give a much better result ;-) if you can freeze water drops and make fans stop spinning with xenon then why do you need a fast burst mode unless its for making a mini slide show type file

I personally think the shot to shot time is over hyped with the 1020 , I personally think the battery drain from an intensive photo shoot is more of a problem and hope that in the next version the cpu they use can do the job without using so much power (maybe the cpu wont be working so hard so wont use so much juice or will just be a more efficient chip) I can defo see why they made the camera grip for the 1020 if you leave the camera app open in the background or use the camera app a lot boom your battery just drains like a water bottle with a hole in it ;-)

6029KingStephen

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks 6029. I can understand that the shot to shot time lag for the full size photos would be longer, but why would shutter lag be longer in the Nokia app? I am not even talking about the lag including the startup of the camera app, but rather the shutter lag assuming the camera app is already running. In other words, assuming the camera app is running, and I hit the shutter button, how long before the picture is taken? It is primarily a delay due to the camera focussing. If someone is running, or laughing, that moment could be over if the shutter lag is poor.

Yes, it's the time it takes to focus that is much longer on Nokia Camera than on Windows Camera.

anon(5326758)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
if you use the Smart Sequence lens it takes 10 pictures in a second and lets you pick the best one. This is good for instant shots or shooting just before the subject is ready (I use it with my kids a lot), but there's no chance for flash/focus assist light.

I have missed shots in the Nokia Camera app due to shutter lag, but the lag is comparable to point-and-shoot cameras. Image quality is on par with dSLRs, while response times are like point-and-shoots. I have stopped carrying point-and-shoots with me since getting the 1020. Agree with other posters that if you need faster shutter response time you should use the built-in camera app, or try Smart Sequence (or other 3rd party camera app).

hulkkii

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I have some statistics from CamSpeed and Sofica Benchmark reports for shutter and capture times.

Shutter time = Time from capture call (UI capture click) to the moment when the actual shot was taken.
Image Capture time = Time from capture call (UI capture click) to the moment when image is ready and processed(jpeg).

Lumia 1020
Shutter Time: 0.8-0.9s
Image Capture time (or time between shots): 3.5s and for 5MP pics 2s

So to take picture at the right moment you need to press the button almost a second before the right moment..

Ukyo

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Here's what I do, I like using the Nokia app but sometimes I want the fast shot to shot time so here's my set up:

-Nokia camera pinned to homepage for shots I can take the time with (5 MP + 34 MP)
-Nokia camera BETA assigned to shutter button for fast shots (5 MP only)

It works because they're both considered separate apps so their settings are exclusive of one another. If I need extremely fast speed, I use my iphone 5 and shoot away like a mad man. ;)

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Here's what I do, I like using the Nokia app but sometimes I want the fast shot to shot time so here's my set up:

-Nokia camera pinned to homepage for shots I can take the time with (5 MP + 34 MP)
-Nokia camera BETA assigned to shutter button for fast shots (5 MP only)

It works because they're both considered separate apps so their settings are exclusive of one another. If I need extremely fast speed, I use my iphone 5 and shoot away like a mad man. ;)

LOL. You're right there. I use my 1020 if I want the best shot and time is on my side but I will use my Galaxy S3 for fast picture taking at the expense of quality. To be fair to the Samsung though, the quality of the pictures ain't that bad and are quite good if I'm honest. They obviously don't even come close to the 1020 for quality and detail but are still respectably decent.

gregoron

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
After playing around with the iPhone 5s and comparing it to my Nokia 925, it does seem like the 5s is faster in shutter time at start up and in between shots. The reason is that Nokia camera only starts focusing after pressing the button. The iPhone is already pre-focused so the shutter activates almost instantly at the press of the button.

iPhone uses an accelerometer based pre-focusing which continuously focuses when the camera is activated. It stops focus hunting when there is no movement of the camera. Thus, in between shots are taken instantly provided the camera isn't moved.

Nokia will always pre-focus after the shutter button is pressed, which causes lag.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
After playing around with the iPhone 5s and comparing it to my Nokia 925, it does seem like the 5s is faster in shutter time at start up and in between shots. The reason is that Nokia camera only starts focusing after pressing the button. The iPhone is already pre-focused so the shutter activates almost instantly at the press of the button.

iPhone uses an accelerometer based pre-focusing which continuously focuses when the camera is activated. It stops focus hunting when there is no movement of the camera. Thus, in between shots are taken instantly provided the camera isn't moved.

Nokia will always pre-focus after the shutter button is pressed, which causes lag.

The 1020 also has a mechanical shutter. That is the reason for the slow shutter lag compared to the 5s or other smartphones that have no shutter. That's a hardware limit of the device. The SOC is what limits the shot to shot speed because we have a weak chip that struggles to render and compress images.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

roastbeefalo

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
One thing I noticed that helps is turning off the "focus assist light". This can be found in the camera settings. My shutter lag is much better after turning that off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99