1020 Vs the S4

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
The sibling rivalry brought me to another question...

What new features can 1020 users look forward to being added to the phone in the future? I'm aware that some specifics may be difficult to list as certainties as MS and Nokia will be keeping things under wrap as they work on them but I'm referring to things such as USB-OTG which is supported by the CPU and would be a most welcome addition to WP.

Are there any other features that could potentially be enabled on the phone with future updates?
Well then, look forward to the GDR3 and WP8.1 updates. We don't know the specifics yet, but we do know that they'll most likely include a notification center (which takes out one of the so-called negatives of Windows Phone.)

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Also, with the camera in mind...where exactly does the 1020 beat the S4?

Obviously, a larger sensor, oversampling, lossless zoom, OIS as well as better low light performance.

All of those are key factors I'm sure most would agree, but is everything else on a par? The built-in camera/gallery apps on the S4 are very impressive and it looks like it has decent control over settings.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
A piece of advice if your brother is really like that: take a leaf out of my book and ignore him. Let him suffer the consequences of using TouchWiz. *evil laugh*

I totally agree. There are still people using Windows Phone 7.5 with little to no lag. I haven't seen a 7.8 device yet cause I went to the HTC 8X instead but I imagine that 1020 will be running silky smooth long after his S4 starts to lag which will happen in one or two updates from now.

Android and TouchWiz(that sounds dirty!) need the extra horsepower for a reason. WP8 is new...I'm convinced they've taken they're time starting from the ground up because building it right will pay dividends in the near future. Sucks that Microsoft was late but at the same time that's not a bad thing if they add everything we are missing in future updates and older devices can upgrade without much of a performance hit.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Well, for one, WP's interface isn't a total cluster*beep*. You can simply pick it up and use it, get what you need or want done, and move on. No need to try a hundred different themes and such to try to get the feel you want. You also don't have to deal with the complexity that Android brings, nor the obvious security holes in apps that can be downloaded and used to cull data from your phone.

But, if you really want to make a statement, I suggest the following: With Android, you are Google's product that they sell. With Windows Phone, you are MS' customer. Do you want to be the meat on fire sale? Or do you want to be the customer buying the meat?

chocolateyum

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the person who said ignore your brother.

Your description of him, techy and quoting all those specs. He sounds like the kind of person that might get lost in tiny details and never grasp what truly matters and adds to life.

He might quantify the camera as one checkmark for the lumia and the faster processor speed as one checkmark for android. Basically, applying equal value to these strengths. But are they equal? He may gain what a fraction of a second in time with each webpage change. While you can do way better job preserving the happy times in your family with more beautiful and vivid images. Isn't preserving your families happiness more important than the split seconds of saved time?

And frankly, I would not be surprised if you actually save more time with your phone than your brother. That button that brings up the camera with just one touch. How well organized the WP user interface as compared to all the clutter the android phone has. Personally, I think you actually save more time with the WP phone than your brother does overall, even with his faster processor.

I don't know if you use the speed alert feature (beeps when you are speeding) with the here plus drive app but that is THE reason I got a WP phone. I got $1000 worth of traffic tickets last year. The speed alert feature is far from perfect but I do feel like my odds for getting a ticket are less now - so that alone pays for my WP phone.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
If you want to make legit arguments about how WP is better than Android, I recommend focusing on the stylish and clean interface of WP, the improved security of being in a more locked down environment on a less used OS, and the reduction in how data you're handing to Google. (It's arguably better to trust MS with it at this point...)

I'd avoid trying to make claims about WP being faster, smoother, or more lag-free than Android, at least stock Android. Based on my experience with the Nexus 4 that's total BS. There is zero lag on the Nexus 4 and basic common tasks are significantly easier and faster than on WP. The same apps start quicker on the Nexus 4. WP's relative lengthy transition effects, for example when trying to navigate to/from the home screen, are now an annoying waste of my time. I wish I could speed them up or shut them off. Closing apps is way easier on the Nexus 4. Web browsing is way faster, with tab management being so much better. Switching between apps is way faster and easier. Selecting text is faster and easier. Etc etc etc.

Maybe third party themes like TouchWiz totally screw things up and that's where all these lag accusations come from. Or maybe the accusations are based on past versions of Android and are not applicable to newer ones. I don't know. I do know that stock Android today on the Nexus 4 is fast and lag-free, and there are more options than ever to go with stock Android via the Google Play store so people have a choice there. So if you want to repeat this tired party line about Android being full of lag and WP being silky smooth, well, get ready to look like an ***** if the person you're trying to convince goes to do a side by side comparison with your 1020 vs. a device running up to date stock Android.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 1020 vs Samsung Galaxy S 4 - YouTube

A Lamborghini is surely better than a truck. Unless of course you need to haul things around, then a Lamborghini is absolute ****. Right tool for the right job, neither is better than the other, it's all about what you want, which pros outweigh which cons, etc. I don't care how many specs out the wazoo Android or Apple introduce, as long as their exchange client is more ****ty than WP8 I won't touch 'em, etc. Sounds like your brother has insecurities.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I have a Lumia 1020 and a GS4 Active the GS4 was a gift. I have 2 facts based on day to day use of both devices.

1) Battery life: I am as you might guess a heavy user of my devices. I don't/wont turn things off to save battery. Why should I have to turn off the fun stuff to keep the device running. The Lunia 1020 just kills the GS4 in battery life by 2 times on an average day. I have to charge the GS4 every day at lunch to make it through the day. I take my L1020 off the charger at 5:30am and put it back on charge at 10pm.

2) Radio signal strength: In many situations my GS4 gets poor signal compared to the L1020. In my office at work, my office is in the middle of the building no windows or hallways directly to the outside. In my office the SG4 gets no signal none at all zero I am talking totally useless. Sitting in the same spot in my char in my office my L1020 has 4g LTE signal and I can talk on the phone without issues. It shows one to two bars on the screen but the LTE data speeds are a fact and my phone always rings when I get a call.

Some things to consider OS wise. When I use my Windows phone I feel more connected. I am a heavy social media guy. Just a glance at the screen and I know what I have missed. Things like the maps lock screen app make life easier for me. I have the Radar map on my lock screen just turn the device to the lock screen and I know if its time to check the weather. I tried a few weather live wallpapers on my GS4 but WOW what a battery and cpu killer live wallpapers are. I hate that Android clams to offer things to users that just don't work or kill the battery. Its almost like false advertising. I have my daughter pinned to my start screen she is away at college, every time she posts to Facebook its right there on her tile I don't have to open anything to see what she has posted. These are just a few of the way that WP stomps Android.

My conclusion tell your brother this for me.

Nothing iPhone and Android can do is worth giving up what Windows Phone does better.

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Also, with the camera in mind...where exactly does the 1020 beat the S4?

Obviously, a larger sensor, oversampling, lossless zoom, OIS as well as better low light performance.

All of those are key factors I'm sure most would agree, but is everything else on a par? The built-in camera/gallery apps on the S4 are very impressive and it looks like it has decent control over settings.

The S4 touch wiz model has a good camera and good software "for a cellphone" The 1020 is a good camera period! I sent out some pics yesterday to my family of the kids told them I have the Nokia 1020 (they all have iphone) and attached the you tube video of the recital and said this is the camera.

All of them commented on how this is a real camera picture and were very impressed. I think the pictures speak for themselves and they easily surpass the S4.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Few reasons why i would take gs4 over 1020-
Notification center - u see all notifications/events in a single window, you can clear each or all easily. No way to do this in windows phone, toast notifications Always appear , no setting to turn off for messages, or otherwise. Privacy can not be ensured unless set in kid mode.
Android apps are far superior, always updated. You get plenty of apps, you can set them to update automatically for you. Unlike this wp steaming crap where you never get updates on time. -reason why we have wp app update thread in wp central.
1080p screen over 768p , more details less scrolling. Sg4 Also comes with Amoled display. Led notification lights available in sg4 which can be a good boost.
File manager, task manager. Can see app memory usage, remove apps from memory.
Multiple volume levels, individual for headphones, music, call volume, notification volume. In windows phone you only get Single setting for All whichs fail
Slow animations switching between windows in wp metro apps, which can A big irritant. There's option to reduce or turn off animation in Ndroid phones. I see windows phone hide lag by transitioning between windows due to slower animation.
If you just want to take photos, 1020 is for you. If you're a geek, I would go for sg4. All the best.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Notification center - u see all notifications/events in a single window, you can clear each or all easily. No way to do this in windows phone, toast notifications Always appear , no setting to turn off for messages, or otherwise. Privacy can not be ensured unless set in kid mode.
Android apps are far superior, always updated. You get plenty of apps, you can set them to update automatically for you. Unlike this wp steaming crap where you never get updates on time. -reason why we have wp app update thread in wp central.
1080p screen over 768p , more details less scrolling. Sg4 Also comes with Amoled display. Led notification lights available in sg4 which can be a good boost.
Multiple volume levels, individual for headphones, music, call volume, notification volume. In windows phone you only get Single setting for All whichs fail
Slow animations switching between windows in wp metro apps, which can A big irritant. There's option to reduce or turn off animation in Ndroid phones. I see windows phone hide lag by transitioning between windows due to slower animation.
If you just want to take photos, 1020 is for you. If you're a geek, I would go for sg4. All the best.

All good and fair points.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Oh so a laptop is better than a phone, got it! See I just want an awesome phone, too much is sacrificed for a laptop/tablet experience at the expense of communicating with people, which is supposed to be the point.

Joseph Davis

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a S4 and a lumia 920, I am sure the 1020 is a lot better then the 920. I love the windows phone design and flow. But after a few months I got frustrated with the lack of apps and poor apps, I went and got a S4. After a few months I have came back to my 920, much has improved since I left. I am now very happy with my 920 and plan on staying with WP. Both the S4 and the 920 are great phones, Android ecosystem is probably still far ahead of windows. But I just love the interface and integration with skydrive and windows so much with WP. I would say in summation that if you like to tinker and spend all day just trying out little gimmicks on your phone then you are a android person. If you are a person that just wants a phone that you get info fast and efficiently to and from, then you are a going to be more happy with windows. Unfortunately for me I have a split personality.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Lot of comparisons are subjective and vary from person to person:

Battery life in talk time. (If he does talk often. I am a heavy talker)
All MS office integration
Ease of use for some things.
Nokia maps(full offline for so many countries) and other Nokia location apps + other Nokia apps
If he thinks Nokia Pro Cam was a S4 rip-off, remind him of Nokia 808 PureView which had all the settings, just in different UI.
Glance and tap to wake: Not present in S4. Were present in Symbian and N9.
Build quality and premium feeling. (does not feel cheap)

But I agree, there are still some much wanted features missing from WP, which will be hopefully added and up-to par in next 6 months.

My brother has been extolling the (many) virtues of his beloved S4 and trying his best to ridicule my preference of wanting the 1020.

Besides the camera, is there anything I can use to counter his argument?

On paper, the S4 is surely the better device based on specs and features but can anything raise the profile of the 1020?

My first thoughts are security. WP8 is tightly locked down compared to the openness of Android and less susceptible to infections and malicious code.

My second thoughts are the camera....hmmm already mentioned this.

Anything else?

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
All good and fair points.

1020 also comes with AMOLED display. And 1080p argument for less scrolling doesn't make sense, since there is anyways no/less vertical scrolling on Android. It's all horizontal.
So scrolling is a non-argument IMO.
File Manager/Task Manager: Majority of user don't use it at that macro level.

Basically, his last half-statement is a good summary which most already know: If you are a geek and like tinkering all the time, then Android(not just SGS4) is your cup of tea.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Most comments and opinions are unlikely to sway his opinion on the 1020 so I guess I'll have to let the quality of the images do most of the talking for me.

I think his main problem is that he just doesn't understand just how important a camera is to me when I consider a phone. Besides the few photos that I post on the 920 photos thread, there's tons more of the kids and other family, days out and holidays etc which have captured precious memories. I like to have a good camera handy with me at all times that is capable of taking such photos. As the saying goes, the best camera is the one you have with you and this is where the 1020 ticks the boxes for me. It's an added bonus that I've bought into the WP experience which is growing all the time (even if progress does seem a little slow at times).

My brother thinks that I'd be better off getting the whole package in terms of specs, apps, games, camera, custom development etc, etc so he champions the S4 for this and he may well be right as the S4 as a whole is very impressive. However, the camera is the most important aspect for me. I do like apps and games but they're not the most important thing for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)