1020 Vs the S4

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
  1. Nexus devices will continue to receive updates first, as they should. This is Google's "do no evil" standard that they will want to continue to maintain.
  2. Google is free to subsidize the Nexus devices all they want; whereas the Google Play Edition devices will be your typical unlocked devices running plain Android.
  3. Devices are designed to run Android, but the software they were designed to run with is optimized to take advantage of hardware - plain Android is not.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Ok, seems there is more to Google Play edition than meets the eye. Thank you both for the information.

Well, bring on the Nexus 5 I guess. :)

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Ok, seems there is more to Google Play edition than meets the eye. Thank you both for the information.

Well, bring on the Nexus 5 I guess. :)

What you get is a lean, extremely useable version of Android (the most recent one at that) on some of the best hardware available, but at a premium price. If cost is a concern, we'd opt for the cheapest means available — begged, borrowed or stolen subsidized — and then hack it on there via unofficial means, or otherwise.

-Phil via Android Central

To better understand what Google is doing, let’s put this into perspective.
Let’s take a Shelby Mustang Cobra and take away all the various tweaks and customizations in it that make the high-performance parts so efficient. You’ll still have top-tier parts in the car but not necessarily the soul of the car. You’ll have a Samsung Galaxy S4, but minus TouchWiz and the various camera optimizations that the tuned Android build included.

It can be said that AOSP applied to just about any phone will make it run faster. Earlier models this was more pronounced, especially those built by HTC. I remember getting noticable speed gains rooting my Droid Eris and Droid Incredible. Heck, let’s look at the Nexus S – BuglessBeast made that device fly.

But that has as much to do with the software running the device as the hardware pushing it.

The Nexus S in its own right was a fabulous phone. Gingerbread was great on that phone, ICS not so much. Jellybean can run on the phone but I’ve seen more slowdown with it than I care to acknowledge. I’m kind of partial to the Nexus S 4G, as I was on Sprint at the tail end of this phone’s life cycle and couldn’t resist “pure Google”. I’ve tried multiple phones and multiple operating systems. One of the easiest ways to get the fine-tuned performance out of a device you need is to run a customized build. Every Android device I owned was rooted at some point and ran a customized version of the OS.

This is why Windows Phone can be successful – if Microsoft became the only handset producer for the OS and developed hardware (through Nokia) and fine-tuned software to take advantage of superior components the sky is the limit. Android tries, albiet with moderate success, to be all things to all people. Unfortunately you can’t escape fragmentation within the ecosystem, and that is because everyone is allowed to add aftermarket performance parts and accessories. Some devices end up being Shelby Cobras, others end up being Honda Civics with excessively loud mufflers and neon lights underneath the car.

Has HTC made some great Windows Phone devices? Yes. Samsung? But most of the marketshare has been captured by Nokia who went all in with their manufacturing strategy, although an Android-based device was tested as a “Plan B”. Because the focus was on Windows Phone, the devices themselves were simply better. If Samsung put as much effort in a…Galaxy W… device, would we really see Nokia bought out by Microsoft? I’d venture to say Nokia would be a player in both Windows Phone and Android.

I therefore cannot compare an “experience” phone to the real thing. The GPE device doesn’t bring anything worthwhile to the table. It is a specialized build that comes with high-performance parts at the expense of the software that was tuned to run it from the start. A Nexus device is designed with hardware and software working in concert; not necessarily optimized for each other but as an example of what is possible when similar hardware/software is paired together. And with a price difference of several hundred dollars, no carrier subsidies and limited availablity (networks, regions) it is a me, too device.

Get a cheaper Android and root it. Install Cyanogenmod and get the benefits of plain Android for ? the price.

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
What you get is a lean, extremely useable version of Android (the most recent one at that) on some of the best hardware available, but at a premium price. If cost is a concern, we'd opt for the cheapest means available — begged, borrowed or stolen subsidized — and then hack it on there via unofficial means, or otherwise.

-Phil via Android Central

To better understand what Google is doing, let’s put this into perspective.
Let’s take a Shelby Mustang Cobra and take away all the various tweaks and customizations in it that make the high-performance parts so efficient. You’ll still have top-tier parts in the car but not necessarily the soul of the car. You’ll have a Samsung Galaxy S4, but minus TouchWiz and the various camera optimizations that the tuned Android build included.

It can be said that AOSP applied to just about any phone will make it run faster. Earlier models this was more pronounced, especially those built by HTC. I remember getting noticable speed gains rooting my Droid Eris and Droid Incredible. Heck, let’s look at the Nexus S – BuglessBeast made that device fly.

But that has as much to do with the software running the device as the hardware pushing it.

The Nexus S in its own right was a fabulous phone. Gingerbread was great on that phone, ICS not so much. Jellybean can run on the phone but I’ve seen more slowdown with it than I care to acknowledge. I’m kind of partial to the Nexus S 4G, as I was on Sprint at the tail end of this phone’s life cycle and couldn’t resist “pure Google”. I’ve tried multiple phones and multiple operating systems. One of the easiest ways to get the fine-tuned performance out of a device you need is to run a customized build. Every Android device I owned was rooted at some point and ran a customized version of the OS.

This is why Windows Phone can be successful – if Microsoft became the only handset producer for the OS and developed hardware (through Nokia) and fine-tuned software to take advantage of superior components the sky is the limit. Android tries, albiet with moderate success, to be all things to all people. Unfortunately you can’t escape fragmentation within the ecosystem, and that is because everyone is allowed to add aftermarket performance parts and accessories. Some devices end up being Shelby Cobras, others end up being Honda Civics with excessively loud mufflers and neon lights underneath the car.

Has HTC made some great Windows Phone devices? Yes. Samsung? But most of the marketshare has been captured by Nokia who went all in with their manufacturing strategy, although an Android-based device was tested as a “Plan B”. Because the focus was on Windows Phone, the devices themselves were simply better. If Samsung put as much effort in a…Galaxy W… device, would we really see Nokia bought out by Microsoft? I’d venture to say Nokia would be a player in both Windows Phone and Android.

I therefore cannot compare an “experience” phone to the real thing. The GPE device doesn’t bring anything worthwhile to the table. It is a specialized build that comes with high-performance parts at the expense of the software that was tuned to run it from the start. A Nexus device is designed with hardware and software working in concert; not necessarily optimized for each other but as an example of what is possible when similar hardware/software is paired together. And with a price difference of several hundred dollars, no carrier subsidies and limited availablity (networks, regions) it is a me, too device.

Get a cheaper Android and root it. Install Cyanogenmod and get the benefits of plain Android for ? the price.

GPe devices bring a lot to the table for those that can afford them and like vanilla android. Although the S4 was not designed to run vanilla android it runs it quite well and does everthing I wanted my Nexus 4, (except better, faster and longer) to do but could not because it was subsidized for the masses. I did not mind paying for it. I was not going to use all the features of the S4 and have one and still prefer my s4 Google Edition. It has a 5 inch 1080p screen, LTE, better camera, external SD card (with 64 GB card) and of course google wallet which I use almost daily. Oh yeah and the IR blaster which I really miss on this Lumia 1020!!!

The updates are prepared by Samsung because it is not exactly the same code as the Nexus and pushed by Google. It was updated to 4.3, 9 days after the Nexus rollout started. It also has the latest security update which Google pushed a week after the Nexus. The beauty or curse of Android is so many OEM's and models and variants which some find overwhelming and others insist on...

So while some may not see a need for Google Play devices or developer models etc., I do and am glad to pay for a phone that gives be what I want and also what I do not want which is heavy skins and bloatware. Yeah, I could get a cheaper phone and root and ROM it but my kick **** S4 GPe is just the way I want it!

Now let's get back to discussing windows phones...

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Guys..this thread is going a little off topic.

Can we get back to the original intention of debating what a tw@t my brother is please? :)

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
If you want more gimmicks with princess wallpapers and candy icons with overkill features go for Android. It's got more apps too. S4 to me is a S3s though.

If you want straight to the point functionality with the best cam in the market go for the 1020. OS is best in the market (IMO) but lacks a few big labels for apps, which seems to be very important to others spoiled with official apps. There are plenty of 3rd party apps in WP8 that are better than the official. You might miss a few games though.

WP8 is not as open as Android but TBH i think a good smartphone is how it functions well enough to give you what you want. Not given to you for you to customize on your own, that's just lazy. WP8 (and iOS too actually) are limited for a reason. Sometimes less is more if you want a great user experience.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
If you want more gimmicks with princess wallpapers and candy icons with overkill features go for Android. It's got more apps too. S4 to me is a S3s though.

If you want straight to the point functionality with the best cam in the market go for the 1020. OS is best in the market (IMO) but lacks a few big labels for apps, which seems to be very important to others spoiled with official apps. There are plenty of 3rd party apps in WP8 that are better than the official. You might miss a few games though.

WP8 is not as open as Android but TBH i think a good smartphone is how it functions well enough to give you what you want. Not given to you for you to customize on your own, that's just lazy. WP8 (and iOS too actually) are limited for a reason. Sometimes less is more if you want a great user experience.

Well said.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Guys..this thread is going a little off topic.

Can we get back to the original intention of debating what a tw@t my brother is please? :)

Next time he argues, ask him to see his phone, then trick him to turn away from you, and shove it clear up his *beep*. Once that is accomplished tell him he can now find out what it's like to *beep* a brick!

Or, you can just tease him about being Google's advertising "female dog" and enjoy.

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I am a big fan of tech and always have been. I think android is a hot mess and here are my reasons. Tocuhwiz, sense, etc. People say they are skins but they are not. They are actually their own operating systems using android's language. Lack of security, fragmentation, and to much differentiation in their product.

Look at the picture with BBM in it. None of them are real but they all make their way into the app store. That is horrible and its dangerous.

Then they have low end garbage with a terrible user experience that is no where near as close to the experience you get in a HTC one. But look at the HTC one. It has a small clock and a giant clock. Its redundant and uses resources.

Attachments

• fake-bbm-android.jpeg
    fake-bbm-android.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Micromax-Android-A60.jpg
    Micromax-Android-A60.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 71
  • HTC_One.png
    HTC_One.png
    281.4 KB · Views: 6

RainbowSeven

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Got both devices. SGS 4 with Touch Wiz lags as hell, it unbearable (IMO).

Pro SGS4:
* better 5" full hd screen
* more apps on Android than WP8

Pro 1020:
* all the rest (better camera, resposiveness)

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
why do you need to prove yourself to your brother ..... a bit of banter is all very well but going to the lenghths to start an internet thread to come up with things to win an arguement is silly both phones are great and have pluses and negatives to them

seriously either sell your phone and grab a s4 or just enjoy using the 1020 ......... ive just sold my s4 and bought a 64gb yellow 1020 and am happy as larry and wont be going back to android in a hurry now i have my dream phone ;-)

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
why do you need to prove yourself to your brother ..... a bit of banter is all very well but going to the lenghths to start an internet thread to come up with things to win an arguement is silly both phones are great and have pluses and negatives to them

seriously either sell your phone and grab a s4 or just enjoy using the 1020 ......... ive just sold my s4 and bought a 64gb yellow 1020 and am happy as larry and wont be going back to android in a hurry now i have my dream phone ;-)

Thanks for that buddy.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
But look at the HTC one. It has a small clock and a giant clock. Its redundant and uses resources.

You can remove the big clock if you don't like it. Personally, I like it because it's easy to see even if you are some distance away from the phone. This might happen, for example, because you are polishing your favourite picture of Steve which is a few metres away from your phone.

iliramove

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Before you get the Lumia, go to windowsphone.com and check out the apps they have. See if they cover your needs.

I work as an IT and my job requires me to evaluate, recommend and deploy solutions (ERP, applications, hardware, software, solutions integration and all that kind of things related). In my opinion, WP8 is a great platformvcompared to BB in handling email integration and enterprise office apps. It also has casually good social network integration. The People hub is just brilliant. If you're already heavily invested in apps on Android or iOS platform, you might be better off staying with it. Google services integrates best in Android. Apps availability is best in iOS. However, be honest with yourself and ask yourself this - How many apps do you really need? Are you able to live without them?

My WP8 is a Lumia 925. I have FB beta, WhatsApp, Skype, 6tag, Flickr, Bing news, Tapatalk, and that's it. The rest comes preinstalled or Nokia/Here apps. I have a peace of mind using it as a smartphone/daily driver. I have since ditched my HTC One, iPhone 5 and they have become my backup/play phones. Once in a while, I still flash custom ROMs on the One, play Blitz on the iPhone 5 but that's it. And I'm upgrading to the Lumia 1020 since they are coming to my region next week. And the Lumia 925 is just a pleasant device to use.

To your brother, hardware specs does not translate into real world usage. For benchmark junkies, they try to tweak every ounce out of the silicone. But that's it. Who needs Octa core to run a browser on your smartphone? Who needs FHD when you need to zoom in and still scroll? FHD should be on my living room 50" plasma. Who needs advanced LTE when your carrier is so congested? Nokia built their products with hardware/software considerations in their minds. Hardware specs aren't everything. Hell, iPhone 5s has dual core and 1GB RAM but still beats the s*** out of the S4.

Its a smartphone. Use it as it is intended to be. Else, its just another sad case of a user problem.

Do not let yourself fall into the marketing hype rat race. Its never ending.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6