Double Tap to Wake Destroys Battery

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I have been experiencing some pretty bad battery life with my 1020. It was getting to the point that with moderate use it was in battery saver mode within 8 hours. I shut off many background tasks, turned off 2 of my 4 email addresses and did some testing. In standby mode the phone dropped from 69% to 55% in about a half hour after a restart. Exasperated I turned off Double Tap to Wake after noticing the 'drains battery' warning. I then charged the phone and went to sleep. Today, with similar usage as normal (about an hour of streaming music, 2 push email accounts, web browsing, texting, etc.) I made it 8 hours and only dropped 39%.

I don't know if the excessive battery usage with DTTW is normal or if my phone is an outlier, but I thought I'd share.

Paul

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Can't say I've noticed it on my 920. I still think battery consumption life has been improved after GDR2/Amber.

Last edited:

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I think it's just a coincidence. I've had double tap to wake enabled continuously on my 1020 for over a month and use it as my primary means of waking the phone. I'm going 2-3 days between charges with light use, recharging at around 30-40%. If double tap to wake had that much of an effect on battery, I don't see how I would be getting this kind of battery life. This is with wi-fi set to stay connected always and an LTE connection enabled at all times, so it's not like I'm doing something unusual like keeping it in airplane mode all the time or something.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
That's amazing battery life! I'd try a hard reset but I've never been able to do that (900, 920) without getting the spinning wheels of death.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded my Mom from an old Android phone to the 520 a month or so ago. She has double tap turned on and gets really great battery life.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I think it's just a coincidence. I've had double tap to wake enabled continuously on my 1020 for over a month and use it as my primary means of waking the phone. I'm going 2-3 days between charges with light use, recharging at around 30-40%. If double tap to wake had that much of an effect on battery, I don't see how I would be getting this kind of battery life. This is with wi-fi set to stay connected always and an LTE connection enabled at all times, so it's not like I'm doing something unusual like keeping it in airplane mode all the time or something.

Very impressive. Tap to wake is enabled for me all the time and I'm restricted to 3G and wifi until my carrier pulls its thumb out of its profit filled *** in order to release 4G but I generally have to charge once a day...usually through the night.

Battery life has improved since the updates though...not hugely, but noticeably.

lumia920yay

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I was walking around with my 920 today in my jeans.....The music just started playing on.....and some other stuff too I realized sometimes when I checked the phone.......anyone walk around with jeans in their lumia 920 for a long walk and had a feeling the double tap seemed to bypass the lock screen and touch some stuff around?

GloriousGlory

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I've known about double tap killing battery life, but today I accidentally left bluetooth on and it destroyed my battery too. A heads up to anyone who leaves theirs on

WP Prospect

May 9, 2013
Visit site
@mase1234.... I noticed you mention L520 having the DTTW feature?... Im kinda surprised coz i have been under the impression that its been bypassed for L520 along with glance screen???

Sent from my RM-914_im_india_269 using Tapatalk

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised that this thread is here, or is a surprise to anyone...

For the sole reason that underneath the Double Tap to Wake option is the note:
"This reduces battery life"

hence I'm surprised why people are surprised when they find it reduces battery life! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Bryan Davis 1974

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I have an 822 with GDR2. I leave wifi and bluetooth on, I have double tap enabled, and glance enabled. It is off the charger by 6 am and it is back on the charger between 9 pm to 11 pm. It routinely ends the day with 30%-50% left. I am having great battery life. I use it lightly during work and a bit more at home. And I am only connected to wifi at home.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised that this thread is here, or is a surprise to anyone...

For the sole reason that underneath the Double Tap to Wake option is the note:
"This reduces battery life"

hence I'm surprised why people are surprised when they find it reduces battery life! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Yes but by how much? There is a difference between like 1% usage per day and battery-destroying 1-2% usage per hour. It is foolish to jump to conclusions.

dcuk7

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I found this to be the case on my 925. Since turning it off the battery lasts a lot longer. Even with it on I was getting a full day out of it anyway but this gives me that bit extra if I use the phone more heavily.

The warning that DTTW drains battery probably doesn't do justice to just how much it does affect battery life.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Probably a feature that should never have been implemented in the first place.

Why's that? I've had no noticeable drop in battery life with this feature.

It's like the PS4 fanboys when they think PS4 is "better for gaming" cos it actually has less features, thus "more focused on gaming". Less features is never better, you don't have to use everything but that doesnt mean they should get removed.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Why's that? I've had no noticeable drop in battery life with this feature.

It's like the PS4 fanboys when they think PS4 is "better for gaming" cos it actually has less features, thus "more focused on gaming". Less features is never better, you don't have to use everything but that doesnt mean they should get removed.

Like Johnny Ive always says - "it's not enough to be different, it has to be GOOD". Double-tap to wake is different, but it's no good because it's a battery killer. This is why Apple doesn't implment these type of features until they absolutely perfect them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99