Any1 using Pro Shot on Lumia 1020?

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I'v been using Pro Shot from riseupgames on my Lumia 920.
Will be soon upgrading to the 1020,

I know the is the Nokia Pro Cam, but has any1 tried using Pro Shot on 1020 ?
Pro Shot was the best app I purchased on WP8 every single penny was worth it.

I know Nokia Pro Cam is similar but Pro Shot also has tat 1% advantage in setting the saturation and contrast, also helps magnifying in Manual Focus.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm still on the 920 myself and since GDR2/Amber updates, I haven't used ProShot at all.

I can't see the need for it on the 1020 but others may disagree.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I bought Proshot back when I was using my 920. Now that I have the 1020, I use Nokia's Pro Cam exclusively.

Proshot works fine on the 1020, only I don't think it supports the hi-res 34 or 38MP shots. Maybe it will soon after a few updates.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
the dev has said as soon as he has a 1020 he will find a way to sort out the high res shots , he has set up a thread on dp review for users to ping questions and stuff at him he seems like a nice helpfull guy from posts i have read from him

maybe if you have any suggestions for the 1020 give him a shout and see if he has one yet ;-)

here is the thread he started on dp review

What is the ultimate camera... app?: Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
the dev has said as soon as he has a 1020 he will find a way to sort out the high res shots , he has set up a thread on dp review for users to ping questions and stuff at him he seems like a nice helpfull guy from posts i have read from him

maybe if you have any suggestions for the 1020 give him a shout and see if he has one yet ;-)

here is the thread he started on dp review

What is the ultimate camera... app?: Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Yup! Workin on getting higher res options in ProShot, it'll be there in the next update in some capacity (still trying to decide what to do about the technical limitations since third party devs don't have the same hardware access as Nokia).

I'm glad someone saw my thread on DPReview! I'm pretty bummed that I couldn't get a discussion going. We're definitely heading into a world where most compact cameras will be irrelevant-- only phones, high-spec compacts, and interchangeable lens systems will exist within the next 5 years (Panasonic just announced that they're abandoning the compact camera market, others will follow). Since so much photography is done on cell phones, I wanted to hear the opinions of the most active photography enthusiast community in the world, what is their ideal camera app? Instead of debating about sensors, lenses, and dynamic range, I would have loved to have an open conversation about UI, workflow, etc.

Sigh. Oh well.. perhaps I'll bump the thread one last time when I finish ProShot v2.9.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
mate dont be disheartened your app is great there is a whole thread in the 920 section where people have rocked your app to get some serious pics ;-) its a shame that no one sparked up a convo on dp review , i find their reviews top notch but some users very ''know it all'' type of people so please dont be disheartened by the no response there , as you make your app for windows phone why not open a thread here about it or in the apps section if you havent already , this site has a good following and i have seen some decent discussions flowing and users respecting each others views instead of ramming i am right down each others throat ;-)

ive bought your app , thought it was a bargain , helped me love the 920 camera more it has some great features , the thing with the 1020 camera is nokia pro cam installed on the device and utilizing the 41mp sensor , if you do make a 1020 version will it do the ''pureview'' magic , will you still use Nokia jpeg processing or do you add anything to that side of things? will it have features like c1 c2 c3 so users can save predefined settings for quick access?

as a devoloper what do you think of the ui in nokia pro cam? its very different so at 1st i found it a little confusing , watched the tutorial and now love it , maybe you can take some of the ideas from that and mod them improve them?

i am sure you can get an active discussion going on this forum with many users of your app to throw in some ideas

oh by the way its always nice to see a dev of a popular app in a forum speaking to users getting ideas ....... if only phone manufactures done the same actively we would all have the devices we've wanted lol

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
mate dont be disheartened your app is great there is a whole thread in the 920 section where people have rocked your app to get some serious pics ;-) its a shame that no one sparked up a convo on dp review , i find their reviews top notch but some users very ''know it all'' type of people so please dont be disheartened by the no response there , as you make your app for windows phone why not open a thread here about it or in the apps section if you havent already , this site has a good following and i have seen some decent discussions flowing and users respecting each others views instead of ramming i am right down each others throat ;-)

ive bought your app , thought it was a bargain , helped me love the 920 camera more it has some great features , the thing with the 1020 camera is nokia pro cam installed on the device and utilizing the 41mp sensor , if you do make a 1020 version will it do the ''pureview'' magic , will you still use Nokia jpeg processing or do you add anything to that side of things? will it have features like c1 c2 c3 so users can save predefined settings for quick access?

as a devoloper what do you think of the ui in nokia pro cam? its very different so at 1st i found it a little confusing , watched the tutorial and now love it , maybe you can take some of the ideas from that and mod them improve them?

i am sure you can get an active discussion going on this forum with many users of your app to throw in some ideas

oh by the way its always nice to see a dev of a popular app in a forum speaking to users getting ideas ....... if only phone manufactures done the same actively we would all have the devices we've wanted lol

Thank you, I do my best to be as candid and accessible as possible :)

I don't want to say just yet what I'm going to do about higher-res cameras, I'm still debating which approach I am going to take. But *something* is certainly going to be there in the next version of ProShot.

I think that the UI in Nokia's Pro Cam is a great bridge between beginner and pro. It's very elegant. Seriously props to the team who made it (some of whom I've been fortunate enough to met).

Unfortunately, for the way I use my camera, I have found Nokia's app to be clunky compared to ProShot. The hit targets are small, and since there is no option to recall custom settings, my workflow with that app is very slow. For me, ProShot offers quicker and clearer access to not only the features I use most, but to pretty much all camera settings.

For example, say I want to turn the flash on. In Pro Cam, I have to press a very tiny hit target up to 5 times in order to cycle through all of the options. In ProShot, the same can be done almost instantaneously. I also find it much easier to pull focus in ProShot; the MF assist feature makes the process a breeze (quick tip: when in AF mode, slide your finger along the focus dial and it will automatically go into MF mode).

Just curious, which features in Pro Cam do you feel improve your workflow compared to ProShot? I am always looking for new ways to improve what I've built! The only thing that kills me is that Microsoft still doesn't allow third party apps to launch from the camera button. Sometimes time is of the essence, and the lens selection menu is inconvenient when you have many lenses installed.

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi there, first let me say, I also bought ProShot back then for my 920, such a good app has to be supported! A question that's spinning around in my mind already for a while you can probably answer regarding the 1020's oversampling.

In ProShot you do get the 5 MP picture from the camera, do you know how this one is produced by the camera firmware? Is the oversampling the same that is used in Nokia Pro Cam or is it different if you just grab the 5 MP from the sensor (without zooming in)? Or can you even implement custom oversampling algorithms or these determined by the firmware only?

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted to mention that not being able to launch from the camera button may not be such a big deal for those of us who are required to secure the phone with a PIN. I almost always end up unlocking the phone and then starting Pro Cam from a live tile rather than using the camera button. This way is actually faster for me because I don't have to wait for any button hold.

I also agree with you about the UI in Pro Cam - it's not too bad, but there's definitely plenty of room for improvement. In particular, it would be nice to have a more advanced and efficient UI that is not so squarely aimed at amateurs.

I'm looking forward to trying ProShot and other third party camera apps once they have support for capturing the full-res images.

Sebsweden

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Can I just say to the ProShot-dev, that you could differentiate your product from Pro Cam by developing the video-side a little. Shooting video on WP is still at a pretty basic level.

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm glad I bought it during your sale, and I really like the app as a whole. I definitely agree with the usability versus Pro Cam. Unfortunately, the two features that make it not worth using on the 1020 are that it doesn't save both, the oversampled image and the full-size image, and that it can't be set as the default camera button app. If those two could be implemented, it would definitely be my primary camera app! It is unfortunate that these are not currently documented API called, but perhaps Nokia developer support could help you access them easier?

The only UI problem I have is that everything can be controlled or managed with your right hand, except profile management, shutter control, and exposure adjustments. Those also happen to be control that would be nice to have faster access to. Is there anyway to move them to the rights side of the screen for easier access?

Otherwise, you really have done an amazing job with this app! Keep up the good work!

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi there, first let me say, I also bought ProShot back then for my 920, such a good app has to be supported! A question that's spinning around in my mind already for a while you can probably answer regarding the 1020's oversampling.

In ProShot you do get the 5 MP picture from the camera, do you know how this one is produced by the camera firmware? Is the oversampling the same that is used in Nokia Pro Cam or is it different if you just grab the 5 MP from the sensor (without zooming in)? Or can you even implement custom oversampling algorithms or these determined by the firmware only?

The answer I got from a Nokia dev during a Q&A was that the 5MP image is indeed sampled from the full 41MP sensor output, the exact same produced by Pro Cam's 5MP mode.

Can I just say to the ProShot-dev, that you could differentiate your product from Pro Cam by developing the video-side a little. Shooting video on WP is still at a pretty basic level.

I wish I could, but the video API is not nearly as robust as the photo side. Pretty much everything that's possible with video in Windows Phone is in Pro Cam.

The ridiculous thing about the video API on WP is that third party devs can't even save video to the camera roll, it can only be saved to local storage, which means that the videos can only be accessed within the app. I doubt that would make many people happy, so video is not really worth pursuing at this point :/

I'm glad I bought it during your sale, and I really like the app as a whole. I definitely agree with the usability versus Pro Cam. Unfortunately, the two features that make it not worth using on the 1020 are that it doesn't save both, the oversampled image and the full-size image, and that it can't be set as the default camera button app. If those two could be implemented, it would definitely be my primary camera app! It is unfortunate that these are not currently documented API called, but perhaps Nokia developer support could help you access them easier?

The only UI problem I have is that everything can be controlled or managed with your right hand, except profile management, shutter control, and exposure adjustments. Those also happen to be control that would be nice to have faster access to. Is there anyway to move them to the rights side of the screen for easier access?

Otherwise, you really have done an amazing job with this app! Keep up the good work!

It's unfortunately not possible to set third party camera apps to the camera button, which is why I made a petition to Microsoft here: Allow camera button to launch a Lens app. I'd really appreciate everyone's vote!

As far as getting higher-res images off the phone, I have an idea. Not sure if it's going to work (we don't have the same hardware access as Nokia), but I'm going to give it a shot. I don't want to give the idea away before verifying that it works. I'm trying to balance functionality and performance. A pro-level app is no good if it's slow :)

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
It's unfortunately not possible to set third party camera apps to the camera button, which is why I made a petition to Microsoft here: Allow camera button to launch a Lens app. I'd really appreciate everyone's vote!
I still don't understand why ProCam can be, but third party can't hook into that. There has to be a parameter that needs to be applied to your app. Have you attempted to reverse engineer the way ProCam does it? I'm not sure how much experience you have, or if maybe someone at XDA-Devs could help maybe? Unfortunately, I haven't had time too learn WP development as much as I want to, so sorry if I just sound ignorant here.

As far as getting higher-res images off the phone, I have an idea. Not sure if it's going to work (we don't have the same hardware access as Nokia), but I'm going to give it a shot. I don't want to give the idea away before verifying that it works. I'm trying to balance functionality and performance. A pro-level app is no good if it's slow :)
Interesting - I like the sound of this. I definitely agree that speed is very important. I really do not like how slow ProCam is. If you'd like any assistance in testing, or input on ideas, feel free to PM me. I work in Engineering and testing is a big part of my job, so I might be able to help if you have a need.

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I still don't understand why ProCam can be, but third party can't hook into that. There has to be a parameter that needs to be applied to your app. Have you attempted to reverse engineer the way ProCam does it? I'm not sure how much experience you have, or if maybe someone at XDA-Devs could help maybe? Unfortunately, I haven't had time too learn WP development as much as I want to, so sorry if I just sound ignorant here.

I'm positive there's a public (but undocumented) hook into this feature. I'm pretty dense about reverse engineering things, though.

Interesting - I like the sound of this. I definitely agree that speed is very important. I really do not like how slow ProCam is. If you'd like any assistance in testing, or input on ideas, feel free to PM me. I work in Engineering and testing is a big part of my job, so I might be able to help if you have a need.

Thank you! I'm a little too overwhelmed by work to look into betas at the moment, but perhaps one day

Lurchorama

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I really like your app mate.
The only things I'm still looking for is a) the app launch from the button as mentioned, b) a digital ND Grad filter, and c) more control over the flash (even just just simple EV+/- or just a Fill Flash option)

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
He should have posted it in Mobile Photography Talk instead of Open Talk.

Sigh, I did post it in Mobile Photography What is the ultimate camera... app?: Mobile Photography Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review but it didn't get any responses. Decided to move it to Open Talk and it got buried.

It think it's an important discussion to have as we move away from dedicated cameras and reach to our phones more and more for photography. I want to know what features people want, what features they use the most, what their typical workflow is, etc. With mobile photography, it's very much about being in the moment, grabbing that capture, and moving on, and I want ProShot to represent the seamless connection between human and hardware that embodies this philosophy.

I wish I could have gotten some feedback. This is app for all of you, all of the shutterbugs, tinkerers, pros, enthusiasts, and beginners alike. I want there to be zero barriers between you and getting the picture you want.

Ok, jumping off my soap box now, haha.

I really like your app mate.
The only things I'm still looking for is a) the app launch from the button as mentioned, b) a digital ND Grad filter, and c) more control over the flash (even just just simple EV+/- or just a Fill Flash option)

Thank you, glad to hear you like it!
Unfortunately, I've got some bad news.

a) is not yet possible. I've created a petition here: Allow camera button to launch a Lens app to get things going. I'd really appreciate your vote!

b) I've considered adding a digital graduated ND filter, but since the camera hardware only shoots jpeg, the highlights in the sky would still be clipped, and my concern is setting high expectations out there for this feature, but not being able to deliver. Still something I've got to look into a bit more.

c) neither of those are possible :( The camera API on Windows Phone is the best out there in my opinion, but it is severely lacking in quite a few departments, specifically flash behavior. We have zero control over the flash other than ON / OFF / AUTO at the time of capture. We also can't turn on the LED when the camera is in stills mode, and we can't do anything like red-eye-reduction flash, fill, or anything like that.

Last edited:

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Developer.. THANK YOU for checking on the sampling; I mostly use PRO now anyway except for Macro so as long as your 5MP is produced by oversampling as you mentioned, I now have no issue making this my primary cam - especially since now I can use presets! Hope someday I can actually program this on the 1020 camera button..

My 2 cents..

Both photos taken on ProCam and ProShot - Flash Off. Everything Auto:

ProShot:
10161004123_862c5e8514_b.jpg

Nokia ProCam:
10160893555_f6871f8e58_b.jpg

Can't notice too much difference. Subject matter is superboring (from my work desk) except ProShot seems top have nicer white balance..

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Update:

I'm still working on adding higher resolution options to ProShot without compromising performance. It's been a rough ride! (even with Nokia's Imaging SDK). I might have some news to report in the coming days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786