Any1 using Pro Shot on Lumia 1020?

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks antiochian2010 for those comparison shots! I'd been trying to see if ProShot is better than ProCam with White balance or not, and I'm glad to see that it is!

RiseUpGames: Glad to hear that progress is being made! I really like ProShot and really want to use it as my default camera app. The inability to set it as default for the button is really annoying, so I hope that gets fixed soon. I'm personally going to try and learn the WP API to see if it can be hacked at all, though I doubt I'll be able to do what you couldn't. Would you be able to suggest some good resources? I already have a dev account, so I can use those resources.

spinzeroWL

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm pleased to see that the ProShot dev is so active! I intend on buying the app later today on the strength of the trial (it seems to give a cleaner/more accurate version of what I am seeing prior to taking the photo, whereas the Nokia apps seem to do lots of post processing which alter the picture markedly).

Before I purcase, could anyone confirm whether ProShot does post processing - or whether the image on the view finder is the image that ends up in the camera roll? My 920 always looks like it is about to take an AMAZING picture, then Nokia's post-processing comes along and mutes all of the colours!

Features I would love to see (in order of preference);
- Being able to set ProShot as the default camera app!
- Touch to focus ONLY (rather than touch to focus and take a photo)
- One of those left/right arrow buttons that allow us to select other 'lenses'. It's a chore having to exit the app in order to re-enter ProCam just to use the video function
- HDR photos! Or at the very least, exposure bracketing (HDR built-in would be fantastic though).

All in all though, a tremendous app -- particularly if it saves the photo exactly as it was shot...

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Before I purcase, could anyone confirm whether ProShot does post processing - or whether the image on the view finder is the image that ends up in the camera roll? My 920 always looks like it is about to take an AMAZING picture, then Nokia's post-processing comes along and mutes all of the colours!
- HDR photos! Or at the very least, exposure bracketing (HDR built-in would be fantastic though).

All in all though, a tremendous app -- particularly if it saves the photo exactly as it was shot...

My 2 cents -

Unless I stand corrected, ALL photos taken on Windows phones are post processed by nature since there has never been a dedicated image chip processor. IMO the post processing algorithm for white balance in ProShot is superior to that in Nokia Pro Cam. But with a tweak in the algorithm I'm sure Nokia will catch back up.
Nokia though has a long way to go in other respects - such as retoring program shooting and custom presets - that will be a huge software update since they'd have to change the core program - almost revamp it completely. So except for rare shots like closeup macro, I'm using ProShot.

HDR is a whole different ball game. I could see ProShot adding bracketing for those who prefer to shoot and tinker with later. To do the HDR processing in the phone - if done correctly - I think really justifies having a complete program dedicated to HDR. I think I have found that in HDR Photo Camera.

HDR Photo Camera | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

I think this is better than anything I even found on Android..

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks antiochian2010 for those comparison shots! I'd been trying to see if ProShot is better than ProCam with White balance or not, and I'm glad to see that it is!

RiseUpGames: Glad to hear that progress is being made! I really like ProShot and really want to use it as my default camera app. The inability to set it as default for the button is really annoying, so I hope that gets fixed soon. I'm personally going to try and learn the WP API to see if it can be hacked at all, though I doubt I'll be able to do what you couldn't. Would you be able to suggest some good resources? I already have a dev account, so I can use those resources.

Depending on how experienced of a coder you are what type of learner (visual, aural, hands-on, etc), these videos could be a good start (mainly for beginners, but they do provide a good overview of things): Building Apps for Windows Phone 8 Jump Start | Channel 9

They do perhaps a little too much fluff talk at times, but I personally learn best by watching others, and then diving right in to sample apps, breaking things, and figuring out how to make them work again. I also pretty much live on Stack Overflow.

Best of luck! If you can figure out the API call to integrate ProShot as a selectable default lens, please please please share :)

I'm pleased to see that the ProShot dev is so active! I intend on buying the app later today on the strength of the trial (it seems to give a cleaner/more accurate version of what I am seeing prior to taking the photo, whereas the Nokia apps seem to do lots of post processing which alter the picture markedly).

Features I would love to see (in order of preference);
- Being able to set ProShot as the default camera app!
- Touch to focus ONLY (rather than touch to focus and take a photo)
- One of those left/right arrow buttons that allow us to select other 'lenses'. It's a chore having to exit the app in order to re-enter ProCam just to use the video function

Glad you hear you're enjoying it so far!

Just FYI, you can view the image that gets saved to the camera roll, even in the trial version. Just swipe to the right :) It's there in ProShot's memory, you can zoom in and inspect the details. The only thing is it doesn't get saved to the camera roll.

One unfortunate thing about the Amber update is that it muddies images captured at higher ISOs (800+). Everything turns yellow and it will affect all camera apps. I haven't tested to see if the effect in ProShot is as extreme as ProCam, but it's a firmware thing that can't be avoided. Only Nokia can fix their color processing, any other fix would have to be done in post.

Speaking of which, ProShot does not do any post processing (unless you want it to by adjusting the contrast / saturation values).

For the feature requests

1) It really saddens me that this isn't possible with third party lenses yet, especially since it's there with Nokia's apps. Petition here: Allow camera button to launch a Lens app

2) Coming with or just before v3.0

3) I'd like to add this, too, but there's no public API for it :/

4) Definitely plan on adding this, but I haven't looked into it yet. Have other good stuff I'm working on first ;)

Edit

Side note: you can 'hack' a bracketing mode in ProShot by using the self-timer. Go to the self-timer, select "multi-shot". Multi-shot will take 3 exposures in a row, with a 3 second delay. During the delay between shots you can quickly adjust the exposure slider to 0, -2, +2. It actually works if you're using a tripod :p

spinzeroWL

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for replying - really pleased to see how active you are in answering our questions.
I had been checking the photos taken in ProShot - I just figured it would be like Nokia's apps where the actual camera roll picture is different to the one that is taken after the shutter closes (and different to the one saved in temporary memory).
That iso800 limitation is really interesting - I never even thought the over processing issue was iso related! With that in mind, is it possible to set a maximum iso in a future release (auto iso, max 400 for instance). It would be great to have a daytime preset live tile (c1) with a max auto iso of 400...and a night time preset tile with unlimited maximum iso...
Anyway, I didn't think I'd say it (because I love Nokia's WP efforts)...but your camera lens is infinitely more powerful than ProCam. The live tile custom presets are really useful. Between this app and ProCam's video, I have all I need for mobile camera work.
By the way, what's your tripod setup like? I've had a look on Ebay - most of the solutions are pretty ugly!
Final thing, can you give us a feature list for your upcoming Proshot updates? Would be really interesting to know what you have planned (and when it's likely to be released :)...)
Thank you - and keep up the fine work!

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for replying - really pleased to see how active you are in answering our questions.
I had been checking the photos taken in ProShot - I just figured it would be like Nokia's apps where the actual camera roll picture is different to the one that is taken after the shutter closes (and different to the one saved in temporary memory).
That iso800 limitation is really interesting - I never even thought the over processing issue was iso related! With that in mind, is it possible to set a maximum iso in a future release (auto iso, max 400 for instance). It would be great to have a daytime preset live tile (c1) with a max auto iso of 400...and a night time preset tile with unlimited maximum iso...
Anyway, I didn't think I'd say it (because I love Nokia's WP efforts)...but your camera lens is infinitely more powerful than ProCam. The live tile custom presets are really useful. Between this app and ProCam's video, I have all I need for mobile camera work.
By the way, what's your tripod setup like? I've had a look on Ebay - most of the solutions are pretty ugly!
Final thing, can you give us a feature list for your upcoming Proshot updates? Would be really interesting to know what you have planned (and when it's likely to be released :)...)
Thank you - and keep up the fine work!

Thank you so much for your kind words, I am really happy to hear that so many people are enjoying ProShot :)

I'm sorry to say, however, that auto ISO limits are currently not possible due to the structure of the Windows Phone Camera API. This is a feature I definitely want and use in my cameras, so if Microsoft ever adds the option to their API, I'll be sure to include it in ProShot.

It's embarrassing to admit, but I don't have any tripods at the moment! A friend broke my last one and I haven't purchased a new one yet (it was just a standard tripod). Since I do so much traveling, I'm always on the lookout for smaller and lighter, and I was considering a GorillaPod, but even that seemed too bulky. So, the hunt is still on for the tripod that fits my needs. Until that time comes, I've been developing better breathing techniques and utilizing the self-timer delay in ProShot to get sharper images at longer shutter speeds.

In the end, I might just settle with a monopod.

As for what's coming next, I can't reveal the big stuff. Too many people in the app world are copying each other to make a quick buck, so I've learned to keep my cards held close to my chest. I can tell you for sure that more resolution options are coming, and some UI tweaks. Oh and awesome things :) Target finish date for v2.9 is a very vague "next week". It may take longer, but I'm pushing really hard to get it done asap.

Flavio76

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Just ready for a trip now, business trip, but still kkkk I bought your app since I read so many good reviews about auto settings and focus...
Hopefully I will learn fast your app, pretty nice...
Waiting for yours improvements for the 1020...

Thank you

MicrosoftNorthstar

May 17, 2011
Visit site
My request for the ProShot developer: long, looooooooooooong exposure times! I'm talking about LONGER than 4 seconds...try 30 seconds!

Why, you ask? I can't say without giving it away, but just think of what scenario a very long exposure time would be useful in. ;-)

Also, +1 on the 38mp pictures. Hoping you've made progress on that front!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb