Got to choose between 1020 and iphone 5s - Need help

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The SOLE reason to get the 1020 is for the camera .That's it. the specs are the same as the 920 besides the 2gig ram and I do not see that helping anything till at least wp 8.1. If you don't need the camera of the 1020 then get the iphone.

I needed the camera of the 1020 as I mainly use my phone for pics and facebook .

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Go with the device that makes the best sense based upon your own real world usage. With regards to the hardware, the Lumia 1020 has been a solid device. What the hardware doesn't correct, though, is Windows Phone's software and ecosystem. Lumia's are solid devices - perhaps the 920 was a finicky model - and overall they match up nicely against or better than the competition.

From what you shared, it seems an iPhone would be a good fit. If your primary function of a phone is met with either device, go with the option that will satisfy most of everything else you were looking for.

Anthony Lowry

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
The only reason I am not 100% satisfied with my 1020 is the chipset used. Should have used a SD 800 :( Other than that, its a more comfortable experience than mu 5s.

One more slight fear is MS giving us a gimped version of future OS releases like the poor WP7 users suffered.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
The only reason I am not 100% satisfied with my 1020 is the chipset used. Should have used a SD 800 :( Other than that, its a more comfortable experience than mu 5s.

One more slight fear is MS giving us a gimped version of future OS releases like the poor WP7 users suffered.

Using that logic, the 1020 should not have been purchased at all by anyone even remotely interested in picking up a Windows Phone flagship. Even if the camera is spectacular and I can take better than average looking photos of things while I'm out and about, I'm clearly investing in ancient technology.

Hindsight is always 20/20, however:

1. The Lumia 900 would have benefited from beefier hardware and an upgrade path that included Windows Phone 8
  2. Attracting the current "it" application developers would have helped pull more users into the Windows Phone platform
  3. There are almost too many Lumia models out there now. There should be a Lumia 7x, 9x, 11x, 13x and they are available with each carrier:
    700 is a low-cost budget and prepaid line
    900 is a mid-range model
    1100 is the premier, high-end device
    1300 is the famed phablet model
    You could, in theory add a 1500 series for actual tablets but why do that when you could just focus on Surface

Assuming Lumia is the brand Microsoft uses going forward for Windows Phone devices, owning 90% market-share pretty much makes them in line with Apple and the iOS / iPhone relationship. What Microsoft/Nokia (or Nokiasoft or Microkia) can do that Apple cannot is build and support devices based on various economical situations. A true budget-friendly device that isn't last year's model in plastic, a mid-range model with higher specifications and a premier line of phones that offer current best in class specs.

Microsoft should have a Windows Phone 8/9/10....Standard and Lite. Let's face it, buying a budget phone almost assures you of getting zero updates and being left behind in the spec wars. What if Microsoft changed that, pushing out an OS that scales itself based on the hardware it is loaded to. Don't have a 1080p screen? You won't have apps running in 1080p. No wireless charging? No wireless charging settings. Oh sure, they could be there but not accessible. Subtle reminders that full feature sets are available with the higher-end phones. Of course there would be applications, features, etc. that are available on Windows Phone (regardless of model) not found anywhere else. That would bring value overall but also reinforce the fact you get what you pay for.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't find the 1020 to be an upgrade for a 920. If you just want a new device than the differences between the 920 and the 1020 are not much besides the camera. The 1020 has an extra gig of ram but that is only to run the camera. If you want a new device and have a 920, I would opt for the 5s, not the 1020.

If you didn't have a 920, then it would be up to the persons wants and needs.

Prabaharan D

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I bought the NL1020 and did not have a single problem - Hardware, buttons or Bluetooth so far. IT was good in the past 45+ days of my ownership. And photos they were really awesome and pips my friends. I have dropped the 1020 also twice , once in office on mosaic floor and once in zoo on the road. IT survived good except a few minor scratches on the edge of my camera grip during the second fall. Rest worked fine and screen is still awesome especially for reading in outdoors.:smile: Sure You can buy one. (Note: I was a previous 920 user for about an year, and my 920 worked good with out any issues, except its booting failed when I tried to reset to factory settings/upgraded to 1020, but still I got a new replacement which now works good with my wife)

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't find the 1020 to be an upgrade for a 920. If you just want a new device than the differences between the 920 and the 1020 are not much besides the camera. The 1020 has an extra gig of ram but that is only to run the camera. If you want a new device and have a 920, I would opt for the 5s, not the 1020.

If you didn't have a 920, then it would be up to the persons wants and needs.

I have to disagree. I think adding a 41MP camera, removing weight, adding ram, and slimming down the 920 is one of the biggest updates to any phone in history. Sure its running the same cpu and material. Its still a very different phone.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't refer to Scobble's photos. Even though 1020 produced better pics than 5s in his photos, we all know, 1020 is capable of lot more
than what Scobble got out of it, whereas 5S hit its limits there already and that said, Scobble still thought that 5s beat 1020 in those photos.
Hence, I would not link to his flickr page and give any more hits to his page.
Hi,

depends what you looking for in the 1020. Is it for the camera or overall performance.

A good overall detailed review is here:

Nokia Lumia 1020 review: View from the top - GSMArena.com

comparing the cameras of the phones iphone 5s and 1020 in real life:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...tter-1020-photos-tna-brand-new-iphone-5s.html

theres much more to read on these forums but thats a start

hope it helps!

:smile:

Last edited:

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
The app situation doesn't bother me much. I do have an iPad at home and I tend to fill in the app gap with that. Bluetooth was one concern and it seems that GDR3 may bring some fixes. The other concern was the durability and build quality of the 1020. The 920 would survive falls, but had a bunch of other issues (listed in my previous post). I am just wanting to make sure that 1020 doesn't suffer from those same or similar problems
May be those falls were too hard to cause some of the problems you had with 920? (I assume you did drop 920 more than 1 time)

Otherwise, just FYI: I have iphone 4S and MBP OS 10.8.4. Just bought a new(little expensive) Plantronics bluetooth headset. With it, I have background hissing noise with my 4S and occasionally, my phone doesn't connect to the bluetooth automatically. I have to go to settings and click on the bluetooth name to connect to it. Similarly, my MAC sometimes doesn't stream audio to it until I dc and reconnect it back. Whereas my 4 yr old Nokia 5800 hasn't randomly lost the connection so far to the bluetooth headset in 2 weeks and no background hissing noise. I use it in my car for offline GPS and music.

So, what I am trying to say is: Bluetooth compatibility is an issue for every device.(Be it Nokia or iPhone or anyone). Bluetooth protocol is complicated and is implemented differently in different devices/OS.(Though it's an industry standard, right?) There is no phone(or device) in the market that works with all bluetooth devices flawlessly.
That said, based on what I have bee reading,I believe that WP does need work in bluetooth dept. to increase compatibility with more devices and that's what is rumored in GDR3.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Actually, I HAVE NOT made up my mind yet. Like I said my concern is Hardware, specifically durability. In terms of the OS, I absolutely prefer WP8 to iOS even with the new gimmicky iOS7. Having said that, I don't want to exchange my phone four times in a year. All the problems I faced with my 920 are problems a few others faced to. Some of the widespread problems people faced with the 920 were dust under the front camera, sticky buttons, flash not working, something loose when you move the phone. The forums are filled with those issues.
So my question was, are there hardware problems people have faced with their 1020.

There's no guarantee that the phone you buy will be free from any manufacturing defects, be it Samsung, Nokia, Apple or Sony.
Whats matters is how well the companies handle it. Some just put it on the customer while come offer a replacement without torturing the customer.

NokFromApp

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the input. I gather from this discussion that there are no widespread hardware issues with the 1020. I understand that you can run into issues with any device and can be an unlucky one to get a lemon, but seems clear that 1020 is a nicely built phone and does not have some of the issues the 920 had. My only concern is Bluetooth which is still a real concern. I will possibly wait for what Nokia has to announce on October 22nd, with a keen eye on GDR3. Then based on how BT is enhanced in GDR3, I may decide to get the 1020. In the meantime, I have sent my 920 to Nokia for repair and they assured me that if I send the device to them, I should not see the issues that I have seen when AT&T issues a replacement. Infact, they were quite apologetic and requested that I not exchange the phone but send it to Nokia care!! And somehow I do believe that Nokia will do a better job at ensuring that the device is right before I get it back!

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Dude I'm on my 6th 920 and decided to go try android. Got the LG g2 and I can't charge it due to a bad port. Lemons everywhere

NokFromApp

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
May be those falls were too hard to cause some of the problems you had with 920? (I assume you did drop 920 more than 1 time)
I may be able to attribute the flash not working to a fall although I have no way of knowing because I just noticed it one day when I was trying to use the flashlight app. Everything else wasnt caused by a fall. Sticky buttons I deteced in the first week of ownership when my phone was receiving a lot of love and care. Something moving in the phone was also noticed on day 2-3 of getting the replacement. I just chose not to exchange it at the time because I was exhausted setting up my phone again and again

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I just got my 1020 only a few days ago because my 920 was having battery issues. Now I have to try to kill my 1020. As far as software issues, I have had none. The phone is faster and smoother than the 920. The 1020 is also lighter, the screen is softer and nicer to the touch. I do not have one single complaint about the 1020. The 920...that's a different story. Keep in mind though, I've only had it for 2 days. In my opinion, I'd say go with the 1020. They are stable and getting the GDR3 someone between November and December. If there are any software faults, they will be updated shortly.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
OK I figured it out...

The Lumia 925 is what the Lumia 920 was to the Lumia 900. The Lumia 1020 is the point at which Nokia "got it right", the 1520 is their equivalent of the Galaxy Note and no one should really begin calling one or the other obsolete until we are another generation in for each device.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I have both 920 and 1020 now. Other than better camera, the 1020's fit and build feels like a more premium hardware. The AMOLED screen is better for the rich blacks, less washout. Light sensor is better, and weight reduction is very noticeable. no dust in front cam issues, and battery lasts longer for sure. The phone doesn't squeak when squeezed, the only sound is the bbs in the camera housing, which is normal by design.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa