Got to choose between 1020 and iphone 5s - Need help

NokFromApp

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I am a 920 user and am looking to upgrade. I am thinking of getting either the 1020 or the new iPhone. I prefer Windows Phone to iOS and although I miss a few key apps (like Sonos and Nest), I am not too concerned about the missing apps as I already have an iPad and my wife's iPhone at home. I have two concerns and I would appreciate if you can share your experiences.
1st Concern: Have you seen hardware issues with the 1020? With my 920, I had to go through 3-4 phones before I got one that worked for me. And the process was crazy to restore each time I got a new phone. So I am very interested to know if you have seen any issues with the 1020 Hardware. Some of the problems I have had with the 920 include sticky camera button, creaking sounds, flash did not work
2nd Concern: Bluetooth and cars: My two 2011 Toyotas and my Lumia 920 (and also my 520) do not like each other. There are occasions that the music will not be routed through the car speakers. I need to restablish the connection to make it work. On some occasions, the player on the car refuses to select the Aux setting. My wife's iPhone never has that problem. Spotify is another pain. I will be listening to it and if I turn the ignition off and then turn it back on, there is no Spotify!!

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Regarding Bluetooth and cars, reports from this forum are that the 1020 is no better than any other Windows Phone in this area. It's been reported that this will be an area of focus for the next OS update (GDR3), but it's unclear to me whether they will actually fix anything or just tack on new functionality on top of what is broken now.

walter1832

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I can tell you've made up your mind already. So don't let the door hit you on the way out. Just kidding, but seriously, get out! :p

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I have a 925 (waiting on my 1020) and my old iPhone 5.

As a piece of hardware the Lumia kills the iPhone, the screen is 100% better. The 1020 will be even better again with the 41mp camera. Sure, there are things I miss about the iPhone, apps obviously and iOS 7 is pretty slick with the control centre and that built in, but overall I prefer using my 925. It's a nicer experience and the camera is superb. The 1020 will deliver a similar experience but you'll have the best camera ever fitted to a smartphone, ever, in your pocket. That's the killer blow for the iPhone for me. It's a pay off, but make your decision and be happy with it.

NokFromApp

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I can tell you've made up your mind already. So don't let the door hit you on the way out. Just kidding, but seriously, get out! :p
Actually, I HAVE NOT made up my mind yet. Like I said my concern is Hardware, specifically durability. In terms of the OS, I absolutely prefer WP8 to iOS even with the new gimmicky iOS7. Having said that, I don't want to exchange my phone four times in a year. All the problems I faced with my 920 are problems a few others faced to. Some of the widespread problems people faced with the 920 were dust under the front camera, sticky buttons, flash not working, something loose when you move the phone. The forums are filled with those issues.
So my question was, are there hardware problems people have faced with their 1020.

Psyk00

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
If you value apps/games go for 5s. Things are changing for better on Windows Phone 8, but compared to iOS, we are light years behind.

NokFromApp

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
If you value apps/games go for 5s. Things are changing for better on Windows Phone 8, but compared to iOS, we are light years behind.

The app situation doesn't bother me much. I do have an iPad at home and I tend to fill in the app gap with that. Bluetooth was one concern and it seems that GDR3 may bring some fixes. The other concern was the durability and build quality of the 1020. The 920 would survive falls, but had a bunch of other issues (listed in my previous post). I am just wanting to make sure that 1020 doesn't suffer from those same or similar problems

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
You want to upgrade your 920, that's fine, I get that. But then you ask us, in a Windows Phone forum, to (objectively!!) determine whether you should get a 1020 over a 5s??

Unless you care more about the photography prowess in a phone above all else, then the 1020 is probably not for you, it's in a niche of its own. The Lumia 1020 should not be compared to the iPhone 5s, they are not in the same league despite all the recent Nokia ad hype. I would kindly suggest that you compare the 5s to the 925 or 928 but not the 1020.

As for software, picking up a 1020 - it's the same GDR2 + Amber software onboard. You'd have to wait until 8.1 for real improvements. I've had issues with Bluetooth phone in my car post GDR2 (previously it worked well) and it might be resolved in GDR3 but I'm guessing that WP8.1 will look to bring real improvements to better BT support in vehicles.

It sounds to me like you want more confirmation to leave the WP than reasons to get an iPhone since you're already in bed with the Apple ecosystem anyway.

Psyk00

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Camera in my L920 is great, the phone itself has survived a solid fall on the concrete (minor scratches on the body), and the OS - yes, it's limited, dosen't have tons of games and apps, yet it's the fastest and most coherent experience out there. If Microsoft will truly devote to WP8, starts punching harder than it's get punched, the app/games crysis will vanish in thin air. Just imagine Microsoft building its own mobile versions (has great developers!) of blockbuster game franchises! It will happen, it's not a secret that Redmond over past couple of years was building teams dedicated for bringing mobile entertainment.

Yeah, and give me a working, "official" YouTube app :winktongue:

NokFromApp

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
You want to upgrade your 920, that's fine, I get that. But then you ask us, in a Windows Phone forum, to (objectively!!) determine whether you should get a 1020 over a 5s??

Unless you care more about the photography prowess in a phone above all else, then the 1020 is probably not for you, it's in a niche of its own. The Lumia 1020 should not be compared to the iPhone 5s, they are not in the same league despite all the recent Nokia ad hype. I would kindly suggest that you compare the 5s to the 925 or 928 but not the 1020.

As for software, picking up a 1020 - it's the same GDR2 + Amber software onboard. You'd have to wait until 8.1 for real improvements. I've had issues with Bluetooth phone in my car post GDR2 (previously it worked well) and it might be resolved in GDR3 but I'm guessing that WP8.1 will look to bring real improvements to better BT support in vehicles.

It sounds to me like you want more confirmation to leave the WP than reasons to get an iPhone since you're already in bed with the Apple ecosystem anyway.

If I were in bed with the Apple ecosystem, I would not have bought myself a 920 on day one and then follow it up with a 520 for my wife as a means to convince her to move over to WP8. Once again, my question was..Are there widespread known issues with the 1020 hardware like there were with the 920, some of which unfortunately I encountered? My confidence in the device durability is low and I am trying to validate in this forum if that is still a concern with 1020.

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I bought my 1020 from MS store. Didn't have any problems with it. But there are people on this forum that had defective devices. Overall, I don't think I read about any common hardware issues though. That being said, it is possible for you to get a bad one.

Another to consider is the feel of the phone in your hand. I recommend that you goto AT&T to hold both phones in your hand and see what speaks to you. Sometimes, the feel of the device is important too.

I love the picture quality on the 1020 that's why I got the phone. But is picture quality an important requirement for you?

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
If you have an 920, is the difference big enough to justify getting a 1020? I have a iphone 5 and it is useful for some things, but I dred that tiny screen. I just read the article comparing the pictures of the 920, 1020 and 925 and the conclusion is the 925 would be the one to get if you could only get one.

I have had my 1020 for a week and it is hard to get used to the weight and heft. Yes, the camera is great but the OS is slower than I would like (not scrolling but apps opening being ready to use). If you can live with 16GB of internal storage, the 925 might be a candidate. I will check one out at att once I can but I am very iffy on 16GB devices...

Last edited:

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site

There's absolutely nothing wrong with posting these sorts of questions in a forum for people interested in the 1020. They're completely valid questions and ones that most people trying to choose their next phone should be looking for the answers to.

As for the niche of the 1020... you could say it's a niche product in two ways: 1) it has an unusually good/large camera, 2) it's a WP. There are tradeoffs to both of those characteristics when comparing against other phones. Why not compare it against the iPhone or any other phone? Everyone has their own situation and priorities. Clearly the 1020 is the better choice for some people while the iPhone 5s is the better choice for others. Those of us who are familiar with the 1020 are in a position to help people who are trying to decide what's best for them. We can't do that very effectively if we limit the dialogue to WP only.

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
It does seems some on this forum get defensive if other platforms are mentioned. I have a lot of experience with android and iPhone but that does not mean I do not want to learn more about wp.

I may not keep my 1020 due to it's size and weight but that does not mean I am trashing the OS. Seems to me the more people that try wp the more may like it and the more people on it the better for this OS and phones, apps and accessories. Just a thought.

My Lumia 1020

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Dude, just choose your ecosystem. I 100% suggest choosing the device that fits in your ecosystem. If you use Macs and iPads, iTunes, and iCloud then get the new iPhone. If you use Windows, Skydrive, Office, Xbox, then by all means get the 1020.

I'm a huge Windows fan but I never suggest Windows Phone to somebody who is invested in another ecosystem. Just like I wouldn't suggest an iPhone for anybody involved in the MS ecosystem.

Now if you want to transition to the MS ecosystem, then do it, cause it's way better!

Booston

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I know 2 people with 1020's and their only complaint is the battery. They use the camera grip attachment all the time and love having it to give them more juice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6