Lumia 1020...Standard Camera vs Nokia Pro/Smart Camera

Paul Farrow

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
wp team

Does anyone have any comments/feedback/samples of how photos compare between using the standard Windows Phone Camera app, the Smart Camera app or the Pro Camera app on the 1020?

I have seen a few comments around white balance and start up times on the Pro Camera that has led me to wonder whether the standard Windows Phone Camera app is really that bad on the 1020 or whether for quick snaps it is good enough whilst for better shots I would use the Pro Camera?

What photo quality do you lose using the standard Windows Phone Camera app given it is the same hardware across all the apps

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
How could the standard built in be "really that bad" with 41MP/ (38.2 MP effective)
with a huge sensor compared to all smartphones except the older Nokia 808 PureView where it is equal but it's modern (1020) and lossless in zoom
On my 810 it's only 8MP and even the built isn't bad.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
With the exception that the builtin camera app also only takes 5 MP shots and doesn't even have the full-res version available. Saving is also much faster, so it can be assumed that it just uses the middle cropped portion (5MP) of the sensor and no oversampling... For some comparisons, see here: All About 'Oversampling', the Lumia 1020 compared to the original Nokia 808...

It can't be just cropping the middle 5MP from the center of the sensor otherwise you will have a much narrower field of view. My guess is it probably employs a simple and less sophisticated method of downsampling compared to the Pro Cam.

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Well, I didn't think about that, but you're right of course... Has to be some quick and dirty algorithm then... Would still be interesting to see that compared to other top-end smartphones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)