Considering a 1020 purchase today

IrRevd

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I've been admiring the Lumia 1020 for a while now and considering an impulse buy this morning. I'm already on contract so will have to shell out ?550 for pay as you go handset.

The question I've got for other 1020 owners is - is it worth it? I don't take many photos but I have two young kids and value the ones I do take.

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
This is the reason why I got a 1020. I have a young family and was sick of poor snaps that look fine on the iPhone screen but are terrible when printed or viewed on the computer. Initially I got a Lumia 925 and now a 1020. So far it seems pretty good, although the colours are wildly exagerated. Yellows are very yellow in particular. However, it captures an immense amount of detail and when viewed on the computer monitor the quality is obvious.

I would rarely carry a camera but have my phone with me all the time, so for now it's the best option.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
This is the reason why I got a 1020. I have a young family and was sick of poor snaps that look fine on the iPhone screen but are terrible when printed or viewed on the computer. Initially I got a Lumia 925 and now a 1020. So far it seems pretty good, although the colours are wildly exagerated. Yellows are very yellow in particular. However, it captures an immense amount of detail and when viewed on the computer monitor the quality is obvious.

I would rarely carry a camera but have my phone with me all the time, so for now it's the best option.

Show him some photos ;)

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
one of the reasons for getting a 1020 was its superb camera, and like you, I got a kid and allows me to take camera+phone as one device anywhere I like now. the camera is superb to use. There is a "lag" when taking photo, certainly noticeable compared to other camera phone, but its not that bad as its made out to be.

The "hump" does feel weird first time I used it, and the phone is more wider then I expected, but give it a day or two, and you get used to it.

Is it worth it? YEP. I think you will start to take more photos from now on!

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Ok, a quick snap at my work desk. This is a 5mp oversampled image, focusing on the Coke bottle. I'm finding the images to be pin sharp and the zoom feature is incredible.

WP_20130927_09_59_12_Pro.jpg

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
What is that silver thing on the right, kept on a red base?
I have a nasty habit of seeing things that are not in the focus, I keep looking for funny moments :).
But hey, the picture is drop dead sharp.

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
It's a little bell that was there long before me. No idea what it was used for. That's just a quick snap on auto, it's certainly impressive.

scottygb2k

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Im off to Las Vegas next week so off shopping with the GF tonight. i think I may have to add the 1020 to the top of my shopping list. What better way to capture Las Vegas experience than with a 1020. Hope I can find a SIM Free offer in UK. Anyone know any shops that sell them SIM Free in UK?

nm7s9

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
This was my first snap with the 1020 (bought at MS store at Fashion Show Las Vegas).

It's not very good since it wa shot through the windscreen,one handed, while driving the hire car. However the post-zoomed shot is, for me much better as a holiday snap than the original and this the real beauty of the 1020, you just snap a shot and then compose it properly, at leisure, later on.

Cheers
Nick

Attachments

• sign.jpg
    sign.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 25
  • orig.jpg
    orig.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 24

nm7s9

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
PS - scottygb2k - Here's a quick snap I took walking past a typical tube station :)

If you're anywhere near Luxor maybe see what your 1020 can do with this subject !!!

Attachments

• station.jpg
    station.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 23

scottygb2k

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the pics nm7s9
Im staying at MGM but i will definitely be visiting the Luxor, looks amazing. My friend is getting married in Vegas next weekend. Just hope i can get my hands on a 1020 tonight.

Be interesting to see how the 1020 handles drunken in door pictures, lol.

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Throwing in my $0.02 here....

With respect to the best picture quality, 1020 is the best phone right now. There are plenty of reviews and comparisons of 1020's picture against the competition on the Internet that you can read about.

What is your current phone? If you're already on Windows Phone, then it'll be an easier switch. But if you're on iOS or Android, then you'll need to consider the apps that you may have to live without or watered down.

I upgraded from 810 to 1020 and it was well worth it.....I don't have any regrets.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Do not buy a Lumia 1020 on impulse.
Do not make the mistake of adopting a mobile OS because of one phone or feature.

Read the reviews, look at comparison photos (but consider the fact auto-everything was used) and play with a phone in the store. Fact is, the sun shines on a dog's *** once a day. Your Lumia 1020 could be the greatest thing since sliced bread or a lemon. You have to try it first to see if you like it. Get the camera grip so you are "all in" with the experience and take several hundred (or thousand) photos with the camera before you dismiss it. I don't know of a single smartphone camera that turns you into a professional photographer, but at present there are many options out there that are capable of producing quality, printed photos. Bring in a reference object to the store and take pictures with an iPhone 5S, Galaxy S4 and the Lumia 1020. In your opinion, the Lumia will either win, hold its own or not be worth the hype. Then consider other factors like size/weight, ease of use, etc.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
As a 1020 owner myself... Well, I recommend it only if you really highly value photo quality. The price tag is a bit high otherwise considering the excellent Lumia 925 is $150 cheaper. Anyway, regarding the camera, it does provide a noticeable improvement in detail more detail compared to the other Lumias, but that comes at the cost of slightly grainier images (not a problem when viewed from afar and less noticeable in good lighting) and it also is much slower at processing images, so no rapid fire photography unless you want to just shoot oversampled 5MP photos.

Still, the phone is on par with the Lumia 925 in terms of build quality and overall feel (in other words, it is excellent) and can pretty much replace a point and shoot all-together... Although a zoom lens is still preferred to the digital zoom found here.

If you want this to be your main camera and you want quality that goes above and beyond what is expected of a smartphone then this might be for you. If you just want a really great but not amazing camera at a lower price get the 925. Either way you will not be disappointed.

nm7s9

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
"Be interesting to see how the 1020 handles drunken in door pictures, lol"

Aahhh - a wedding.
Firstly make sure you buy (or get) the camera grip. It is really good for holding the phone and I never take my phone out of it even though it means I can't do wireless charging.
The extra battery in the camera grip will come in very handy at a wedding since taking lots of photos (maybe with flash as well) is going to EAT your battery. If you can, take a USB battery charge pack and cable with you and keep the 1020 charged up when possible - like when you're eating etc.

Once the beer/winew starts flowing you may like to switch from the Pro Cam to the Smart Cam lens. This will let you get some good (or maybe interesting!!!) shots using the "best shot" or "change faces" capability.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)