Not so happy with my purchase

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The only thing Nokia screwed up was the auto mode and this is true for a lot of phones. The only phone that seems to get auto correct is the iPhone. The 1020 does take the better pic but it's made more for the enthusiast type that likes/knows how to fiddle with settings. A lot of people don't want to deal with that and just want to point and shoot quickly.

The iPhone really does get it right, automatically. It may be a worse camera, but most people don't want to play with all the settings to get the best and so Auto is really the most important mode. iPhone gets it right better than any other phone from what I've seen.

I wish my 920 had a better auto mode, and the 1020 appears to suffer some similar issues from all the review shots online. Some shots looks amazing and others have totally the wrong color balance or brightness.

Hopefully some software updates can improve this area.

p7ayfu77

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
http://www.flickr.com/photos/play4life/sets/72157636022840025/

These are comparison photos of the same scene using the Nokia Lumia 920 and 1020, with and without flash.

As can be seen the Lumia 1020 is doing something very wrong when using the flash. The 920, which has a much weaker flash still does much better with color balance. The Nokia Lumia 1020 is very oversaturated.

My testing has shown that the Lumia 1020 in this scene, and when using the flash, automatically picks a very slow shutter speed (around 1/20) . This makes it clear to why the picture is more yellow/orange. Essentially the flash is too fast at this slow shutter speed, and the dominating light in the picture is the yellow/orange from the tungsten lights.

The 920 however seems to cope much better.

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
thats cool and i am glad your 110% happy with it i can only imagine your delight when nokia improve the jpeg processing , colour saturation , white balance in automatic mode and pictures look even better due to not having the yellow/orange tint and nokia pro cam app evolves further with even more options and user choice ;-)

maybe the 808 just spoilt me with such pure images and correct colour reproduction as well ey it is one heck of a camera phone but there is no doubt in my eyes and many others that the 1020 could do with some fine tuning in certain areas of the camera and i am sure users like you who are 110% happy will be even happier when it gets/if it gets a few updates to improve results then everyone will be a winner :)

Take some time and learn to use the camera. Its one thing to complain when its warranted and another just never to be happy. If the 808 was so great it would have set the phone world on fire. I own a white 808 and its not a better camera. This picture was taken with normal setting in a moving car. The colors are almost exact. No over saturation or noise.
falcon's Phone_20130915_12_59_11_Pro.jpg

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
They definitely screwed up auto mode. Try this: force flash on and then either set ISO to 400 or a fixed shutter speed of 1/100 or even faster. I noticed that the flash fires shorter and brighter that way. Surprise: yellow tint is gone.

In auto mode even with flash on, shutter speed is always 1/30 and ISO is pretty high (1000 or above). I don't know why these settings are this way with flash in Auto, but that seems to be the reason for the yellow tint.

You're right, that produces a much much better photo. No yellow and truer colors.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 1020 v 920 - a set on Flickr

These are comparison photos of the same scene using the Nokia Lumia 920 and 1020, with and without flash.

As can be seen the Lumia 1020 is doing something very wrong when using the flash. The 920, which has a much weaker flash still does much better with color balance. The Nokia Lumia 1020 is very oversaturated.

My testing has shown that the Lumia 1020 in this scene, and when using the flash, automatically picks a very slow shutter speed (around 1/20) . This makes it clear to why the picture is more yellow/orange. Essentially the flash is too fast at this slow shutter speed, and the dominating light in the picture is the yellow/orange from the tungsten lights.

The 920 however seems to cope much better.

To my untrained eye, it seems the 920 w/ flash took the best photo. I'm looking at the bricks on the right edge and the tea mug on the table. The 1020 shots don't even pick up the mug! Just my observation.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I noticed the same thing in my own tests .. the 1020 tends to be a bit too warm/saturated when using the flash

9402634843_3973429aef_o.jpg

9402636413_b71a04d56e_o.jpg

If the 808 was so great it would have set the phone world on fire.

It didn't do so for completely different reason.. in terms of imaging it was (early 2012), and still is, way ahead of the competition. On a per pixel basis, the 808 is the better camera..

Find me a low light shot that is as clean as this: http://www.esato.com/phonephotos/cam/nokia/808_pureview/201305052343DrX30k.jpg and I might reconsider my evaluation, but I am yet to find a 1020 shot that can convince me that it is in fact the better camera.

maybe the 808 just spoilt me with such pure images and correct colour reproduction as well ey it is one heck of a camera phone but

Yes, once you get used to looking at those 808 shots, and the consistency .. everything else feels like a downgrade. The 1020 is the closest thing to that, so if you want a different OS.. that's the only option.

WP7_Genius

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
What the heck is up with apple tech that they seem to get the best pictures on a phone. This is insane how they take photos so well. I just knew this 1020 would rule all camera phones but apple pics are still of better quality....

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
What the heck is up with apple tech that they seem to get the best pictures on a phone. This is insane how they take photos so well. I just knew this 1020 would rule all camera phones but apple pics are still of better quality....

Such Apple product doesn't exists.

peacock93

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

Not from my hands on experience! My daughter has an iPhone 5 and my wife has a Lumia 1020. Even my daughter, who never agrees with me, says that the 1020 pics are better. I've done side by side comparisons in low light and bright light and the 1020 is always a better pic. Sometimes not by much but still better. Throw in the zoom after the shot and my opinion, which I know doesn't mean squat, is the 1020 is the hands down winner.

Flavio76

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Okay,pretty lame advice, but sometimes if my picture is too yellow- indoors, I use later the edit option , yes the basic edit option in the gallery.... It can edit,crop, etc, and also reduces pretty fast and easy this yellow factor when taking pictures of my daughter.....

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Take some time and learn to use the camera. Its one thing to complain when its warranted and another just never to be happy. If the 808 was so great it would have set the phone world on fire. I own a white 808 and its not a better camera. This picture was taken with normal setting in a moving car. The colors are almost exact. No over saturation or noise.

seriously mate ...... take time to use the camera?? where did you get that one from the late steve jobs as it really reminds me of ''your not holding it right'' lmao

i have been taking pictures for years and i know how to use a camera .... believe it or not the 1020 isnt my first camera lmao :) as i have said earlier in this thread yes the 1020 is a great camera phone but nokia have messed up the software in auto mode specially when the flash is being fired

as another users has shown the shutter speed is to slow and iso are set to high in auto which in turn is letting in more orange/yellow from other light sources , of course i can spend time changing settings etc but the camera should do a much better job then it is doing on auto mode and when the flash is fired

i am afraid we will have to agree to disagree on the 1020 vs 808 because in my eyes the 808 takes the much cleaner picture and is also much more reliable in auto mode when needed ie it doesnt ruin the shot by casting an orange/yellow tint to the picture lol

why people have to come out with such insulting personal remarks like ''learn how to use a camera'' when the phone could obvously be improved is beyond me its like people are scared to admit that their new gadget might not be 110% perfect even though people are showing yellow/orange images all over the net and nokia have even admitted its being looked into --- if it isnt a fault and people need to learn how to use the camera why are nokia not sending out camera lessons instead of looking into a software fix lmao ;-)

oh and by the way nice one for showing an image with no other lighting source apart from natraul light from the sky , try taking a picture indoors with the flash on while under house lights from the kitchen or front room in auto mode and tell me that it isnt doing something wrong , ill think youll find that the slow shutter speed and high iso will give you an orange/yellow cast as the sensor is also capturing light from the other sources and not just the flash etc

at the end of the day its good to point out things that can be fixed and that arent perfect in the hope we can get a better all round device , if we just pretend everything is perfect like you then nothing will ever get fixed lmao :)
is it the end of the world ..... no
does the lumia 1020 still have a great camera ..... yes
could it be improved via software ....... yes

anyways lets just agree to disagree yeah and not resort to things like ''you should learn how to use a camera'' i think the camera could be improved and should be improved in certain situations and you think i should learn how to use a camera ;-) have a great day ;-)

Last edited:

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site

this has to be a joke? the iphone5 has a nice camera but it will never match the 1020 science wouldnt let it , sensor size , ois , xenon flash , optics quality

no one hear is saying the 1020 is a crap camera , i think there is a big misunderstanding in this thread and some people getting rather defensive of their new gadget , again no one is saying the 1020 is crap , that it produces images that lack detail or quality , what we are saying is that the phone messes up some shots on auto mode and while the flash is being fired and it chooses some ridiculous settings that should just not be chosen for that type of shot for example

xenon shot should not have a low shutter speed and high iso

the above is probably where we are seeing the orange/yellow tint on pictures and that is what we are talking about ..... the 1020 messing some pictures up

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
here is the thread at nokia support that shows nokia are aware of the issue and looking into it ;-)

Nokia 1020 Flash gives Yellow Tint - White Balance... - Nokia Support Discussions

at least nokia are willing to admit that not everything is perfect ;-) hopefully a fix will come soon ;-)

Hi Tom. Is this upon using the default camera app or the Nokia Pro Cam app?

We have received some reports regarding this yellow tint to the photos when using the Nokia Pro Cam app. This is currently being investigated. Rest assured a solution will be provided soon.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
So if they make some camera adjustments, will it be to ProCam App or a firmware update? I don't have any faith in ATT pushing updates at all, so I wanna know what to expect.... Haha.

bcolton

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Got my Nokia Lumia 1020 yesterday. So far very disappointing. Images are oversaturated and color balance is totally screwed. Skin tones are either too much orange/yellow or too little.

Also in dark scenes at night, the live view is so grainy and noisy with what looks like to me to be a lot of fixed pattern noise. It looks like lots of horizontal steacks.

I wonder if this is just my sensor, a bad fab run for BSI chip or common on all phones?

Im really gutted. Hope they can fix this or maybe someone will come up with a camera app that can fix this. Otherwise I'm probably going to return it. It's that bad. Not sure how Nokia screwed it up this bad.

To answer you question this is my experience.

Live View: Shows noise and is bit grainy, especially so in low light / dark conditions. However this is a result of the video (live) preview/feed from the camera, it does not show up in the pictures, and that's just how the camera display is on the 1020. I've looked at a dozen of so Lumia 1020's and can reproduce this each time - some just won't ever notice.

White Balance / Over saturation - Yes white balance and color reproduction is off in some low light conditions, and is very much off in low light conditions when the flash is used. This is an easy software fix, so Nokia/Microsoft we are waiting. I currently manually adjust the WB myself to correct the issue with "auto" settings.

vs. iPhone 5. Yes, iPhone 5s does excellent at color reproduction - kudos to Apple (for real). However, I can still get superior results with my 1020 every time due to the better sensor - that combined with OIS stabilization that enables split second longer hand held exposures resulting in the best in class camera phone image (especially in low light).

Cheers

bcolton

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
So if they make some camera adjustments, will it be to ProCam App or a firmware update? I don't have any faith in ATT pushing updates at all, so I wanna know what to expect.... Haha.

I am under the impression that updates come directly from Microsoft or Nokia - similar to the iPhone. When I check for updates, it checks MS and not AT&T. When I check for updates on a Galaxy S4 it tells me it's checking with AT&T.

To add to this assumption of updates direct from MS/Nokia, I can uninstall all AT&T apps, something I can't do on any of AT&T's android phones.

But again, assumption. So please correct me if wrong.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I read somewhere that the Xenon flash has this yellowing effect on photos. My son has the 1020 and his pics were that way too. But now his photos don't cast that yellow on indoor shots so he's done something to improve it.

Interested in knowing the definition of something please :).
Also the OP, have you tried a soft reset?
Did you compare your 1020 with someone else's?

Do I own a 1020 - Nope.
Will I own 1 - Yes, the 64GB when prices become realistic.

p7ayfu77

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Well, lots of discussion here, so now my turn. I have shown the results, and now Nokia need to make there move.

For a phone that is ?500 here in the UK, and that has received so much hype and fanfair about its camera, anyone spending that sort of money expects it to just work. And to work in auto mode. That's a lot of money, and selling buggy product isn't going to help reputations. Nokia need to spend a bit more time on quality with this.

If i compare now the s4 with the 1020, the Lumia is way over priced.
Don't get me wrong, im a huge WP fan, but its been too long waiting for innovation from MS Nokia and co. The ecosystem is way begin, phone features are behind too. For ?500 the s4 now looks to me to be much more worth while.

Still im gonna keep my Lumia 1020, and give it a chance, and give Nok/MS a chance. I love the look and feel of the OS, and its easy of use.

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Well, lots of discussion here, so now my turn. I have shown the results, and now Nokia need to make there move.

For a phone that is ?500 here in the UK, and that has received so much hype and fanfair about its camera, anyone spending that sort of money expects it to just work. And to work in auto mode. That's a lot of money, and selling buggy product isn't going to help reputations. Nokia need to spend a bit more time on quality with this.

Still im gonna keep my Lumia 1020, and give it a chance, and give Nok/MS a chance. I love the look and feel of the OS, and its easy of use.

I agree that Nokia should've make sure the picture quality should be good (doesn't have to be excellent) in auto mode, especially for the price and it is the main selling point. I just hope they can release a fix ASAP.

I guess you can add "1020 camera tweaking" to your list of things to do. :cool:

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

If i compare now the s4 with the 1020, the Lumia is way over priced.
Don't get me wrong, im a huge WP fan, but its been too long waiting for innovation from MS Nokia and co. The ecosystem is way begin, phone features are behind too. For ?500 the s4 now looks to me to be much more worth while.

You may want to visit their care center and get it checked, maybe you have a faulty unit? (Initial batches of 'any' phone have some minor glitches), a good manufacturer will gladly take it back and offer a replacement to correct the glitch :).

But first, try a soft reset.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)