1020 Battery Drain

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I charged my 1020 overnight, it was at 100% at 9.30am. It's now 12.30pm and I have 17% left. I've taken 3 photos and done some light web browsing. All background apps are closed, glance screen is disabled and so on. The discharge rate is 46.6% per hour.

Anyone else experienced this?

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
It's certainly a bit of a worry. It's not background apps, they are all blocked.

I recharged it and all is well for now.

Jakez98

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry to here your unit experienced such problem.

I just bought my 1020 and have never experienced anything like this either.

I have location, glance, and 4 background tasks turned on.

I turned off background tasks for Nokia's HERE Drive+ because it seemed like lots of 920 users complained about it draining the battery.

Try resetting it back to factory settings first. If the issue persists, contact Nokia.

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I'm posting from it now. I hard reset it and charged it fully and it's currently running smoothly. I'll keep an eye on it but I think it will be ok. I still love it, the best phone I've had, it's definitely a grower for me.

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Recharged it overnight last night and it was at 100% at 7am. It's now almost 4pm and I have 26% left. Useage has been light/medium with a couple of photos, web browsing, email, etc. Does this sound in line with what you're getting?

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
To update this, I've now had my replacement 1020 for 24 hours. I picked it up yesterday and charged it to 100%. I downloaded all my apps on wi-fi, turned glance screen and double tap to wake on, made some calls, went out last night to take some photos, set my alarm for this morning, played some games, and generally hammered it. It's still at 26%. This one looks good, much more like the performance I get from my 925.

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Further update, this replacement 1020 has exceeded all my expectations. I took it off charge at 8am and have been web browsing, emailing, I took some photos, made two calls and sent/received some texts. It's currently after 3pm and it's at 76%. This will easily go 24 hours between charges with medium useage.

Glance/peek us on, double tap is on, wi-fi, cellular, gps all on and several background tasks are running. It's a completely different experience.

mrmprince

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
What's your average discharge rate/hour? Mine is averaging about 10%/hr....I've hard reset it and it's been as low as 2%/hr....i was convinced that it might be the apps that i've downloaded that's causing the drainage or even the OS itself...but after reading your replacement unit, i'm a little tempted to replace mine as well..

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
On standby it's less than 1 percent. With use it obviously rises but the standby discharge was killing the battery on the previous phone.

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
On standby it's less than 1 percent. With use it obviously rises but the standby discharge was killing the battery on the previous phone.
Standby drain also depends a lot on your connectivity. On 2G only I also get drain of 1%/hr, but as soon as I up it to 3G or 4G, especially at my workplace it constantly switches due to bad reception and that drains also in standby a lot... more like 5%/hr.

anon(8125585)

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
What a difference a phone (new) makes.

Decided to swap my phone (new batch delivered to Vodafone) and it has worked.

Before swap >9% drain idle & 10 hrs battery life whilst doing nothing. :angry:

After update <2% drain idle; over-night it only dropped 12% with wifi, data, email & social media updates. :excited:

The only other thing I did differently with this phone was to charge it first when I brought it home instead of using it until it went dead and then charging it. I think I just had a lemon. Happy snapping.

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
The battery on this 1020 continues to impress. Yesterday I worked from 8am to 4pm. The phone was at 100% when unplugged at 7am and I used it heavily throughout the day. When I got home it was at 64% and going to bed at 1am it was at 55%. Very impressive.

I've been thinking about this also, I think that the first batch of 1020s must have had dud batteries, or least some of them did. It's the only explanation I can come to.

rsidhaarth

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

I got my lumia 1020 few days back and i experienced 25 to 35 percent drain per hour. And i did factory reset and installed all old apps and also all email account.

Now my phone is warmer when i use tapatalk and some apps and also it is draining at 5 percent per hour when i use it and also 2% drop when idle.

Is that normal or i have to replace my phone ?

Sent from my RM-875_im_india_230 using Tapatalk

rsidhaarth

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

I got my lumia 1020 few days back and i experienced 25 to 35 percent drain per hour. And i did factory reset and installed all old apps and also all email account.

Now my phone is warmer when i use tapatalk and some apps and also it is draining at 5 percent per hour when i use it and also 2% drop when idle.

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

Apparently, you got to give it a few days and full charges to know if the battery is faulty. some apps can drain a lot, stop background apps, etc. To be honest, I am too on the borderline to replace mine as I think its stupid to have to turn everything off to get a full day out of light use of my phone.

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Standby drain also depends a lot on your connectivity. On 2G only I also get drain of 1%/hr, but as soon as I up it to 3G or 4G, especially at my workplace it constantly switches due to bad reception and that drains also in standby a lot... more like 5%/hr.

unfortunately, in UK, on three network, I can only stay on 3g network as they don't have 2g (or so I am told).

I can never understand why people say always try use wifi instead of mobile data as it uses less power. but the thing is.. you HAVE to have mobile network on (otherwise how you receive text/calls) so turning both wifi + 3g surely can't be using less power then just getting data from 3g?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel