1020 Battery Drain

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I've only made a significant effort to monitor and optimize battery consumption while the phone is idle. I don't have as good of an idea of the drain rate when actively using the phone with the display on. I do know it's MUCH higher than when the phone is sitting idle, which is what I'd expect. My guess would be somewhere around 15-30%/hour, maybe even more, depending on what you're doing. Most of my usage of the phone is for short periods ranging from a few seconds to 10-15 minutes at the most.

I do have one battery graph showing a time when I was using the phone pretty actively to take pictures throughout the day. You can read about it in the following post:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...id-damage-camera-grip-pd-95g.html#post2072905

Well so your post makes it clear. So you are averaging around 4 to 5 hours of on screen time , thats the most a 2000mah phone can do with average use.

All I wonder is how do @sdc1 getting 5% battery drain per hour when playing halo , which is such a intensive graphics game.

@sdc1 : can you please do recheck for me , let say like this. If you have time on weekend just charge the phone to 100% and play your favourite game halo for 30 min and say the battery % drain. So it will be little help for the people over here to optimize the phone according to your setting if you get decent battery life. Well its not mandatory , if you cant do it , lets leave this.

I am still jealous of your phone @sdc1

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
The battery level is not always indicated reliably. For me, it will stay stuck at 100% for a while after charging it. Sometimes turning the phone off and back on solves this, sometimes not. It's better to measure starting at 85% or less. Also keep in mind that the battery discharge curve is not necessarily linear, so it could be dangerously inaccurate to measure time taken to read a small change like 5% in reported level and then extrapolate to the entire capacity of the battery.

By the way, there's no way in hell that you could have the display on for 20 hours on a single charge with this phone, let alone play a game for that amount of time. This 5%/hour figure is most certainly an error in measurement or communication.

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
The battery level is not always indicated reliably. For me, it will stay stuck at 100% for a while after charging it. Sometimes turning the phone off and back on solves this, sometimes not. It's better to measure starting at 85% or less. Also keep in mind that the battery discharge curve is not necessarily linear, so it could be dangerously inaccurate to measure time taken to read a small change like 5% in reported level and then extrapolate to the entire capacity of the battery.

By the way, there's no way in hell that you could have the display on for 20 hours on a single charge with this phone, let alone play a game for that amount of time. This 5%/hour figure is most certainly an error in measurement or communication.

So what can be the expected on screen time of this phone? if we use heavily the drain can be 25% per hour. So shall we conclude that those who are attaining more than 4 hours of on screen time , I mean continous usage of phone for 4 hours + are those are with good batteries?

Becoz my HTC One 2300mah can do upto 5 hours of on screen time, thats the most every phone can do.

From this - Good Battery has

1) 1% to 3% battery drain in standby. ( One can have phone on upto 2 - 3 days on Standby)
2) 15% to 25% per hour on usage. (One can use their phone continously for 4 - 6 hours )

Well the most drain for the people with Location On , Glance On , Email Sync , Background task on, Auto Brightness on.

Are the above statements is true? So the confusion among the people can stop.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
sdc1 - I really don't think that's possible. Even Nokia's official 1020 specs page claims "Maximum Video playback time: 6.8 h", which is 14.7%/hour. Video playback is highly optimized and hardware accelerated on all modern devices. Pretty much any other task is going to consume more power. So 6.8 hours is a [probably optimistic] maximum for amount of time with the display on. If you're playing a game the battery drain is almost certainly going to be higher.

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
sdc1 - I really don't think that's possible. Even Nokia's official 1020 specs page claims "Maximum Video playback time: 6.8 h", which is 14.7%/hour. Video playback is highly optimized and hardware accelerated on all modern devices. Pretty much any other task is going to consume more power. So 6.8 hours is a [probably optimistic] maximum for amount of time with the display on. If you're playing a game the battery drain is almost certainly going to be higher.

Fair enough. Tell you what, I'll charge it to 100% overnight and test it tomorrow.

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so from 100% I have just played Halo for a solid 30 minutes. My battery is now at 96%.

So playing it for an hour would drain 8% presumably. I have the battery app by Arthur Semenov installed. I also switched the phone off and on to see if this changed the amount of battery left and it didn't.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so from 100% I have just played Halo for a solid 30 minutes. My battery is now at 96%.

So playing it for an hour would drain 8% presumably. I have the battery app by Arthur Semenov installed. I also switched the phone off and on to see if this changed the amount of battery left and it didn't.

I played Jetpack Joyride on my L720 for like 10 minutes, the upper half of the phone was boiling hot, I noticed it when I received a call and put the phone on my ear, I could probably iron a stack of clothes with that temperature.

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

As said earlier measuring from 100% wont get accurate reading. I also noticed it. Measuring from 75% will give some accurate result. Donot charge the phone , let the phone dry to or less than 80% then the result will be much accurate.

psyfreaki

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
it been a 3 days since o got my lumia 1020, same issue here... battery on 100% charged reports only 12 hour of life, considering that i have turned off the wi-fi, BT, location, only 3G and soft-reset the phone. But problem remains the same :(

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I am using bsnl and it takes a lot battery.

And also do this method. Kill the battery and then recharge it full and use. Do the same for three time there will be a improvement , and also goto settings and do a reset and if you can do twice.

I did all this and now getting lesser drain than before, still reading a lots of post to know whether all other user getting same battery life.

I am going to make a thread where user can share their battery result.

Sent from my RM-875_im_india_230 using Tapatalk

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I am using bsnl and it takes a lot battery.

And also do this method. Kill the battery and then recharge it full and use. Do the same for three time there will be a improvement , and also goto settings and do a reset and if you can do twice.

I did all this and now getting lesser drain than before, still reading a lots of post to know whether all other user getting same battery life.

I am going to make a thread where user can share their battery result.

Sent from my RM-875_im_india_230 using Tapatalk

I use Vodafone, BSNL is literally poor when it comes to connectivity, no doubt its affordable, but you get what you pay for ;)

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
i already did and based on your suggestion switched to 2G as well... now the battery is 62%, its been almost 12 hours since the charging so i hope for the best :)

Hahahah, made me laugh. I keep my 3G on always but I never complain of bad battery because I know what I am doing. If you want to like browse a website or videos, switch on 3G and switch it off once your task is done. Its a universal fact applicable to all phones that 3G will haunt your battery for life, when it starts to haunt, your battery runs for its life, at some point of time it stops due to panting and falls unconscious. If you know what I mean?

anon(8125585)

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
This second phone is still doing well. Got a day and a half with several photos, email, browsing and some sat nav. The night time photos are unbelievable good.
Beware some of the battery apps can give errors after a few cycles with frequent charging. I had one where it said I only had 80% charge after a full recharge. I reset the stats, turned the phone on/off and it went back to 100%.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12