1020 Battery Drain

fieldbaker

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Hello

I'm experiencing battery drain on my 1020 aswell. This night I tried flightmode and then i had about 1,5% battery drain/hour which is very good. When i woke up i turned flight mode off, then i instantly started having 10%/hour drain on IDLE and no background apps on. I have even turned off data and 4g. What could cause this? ,my

I have glance, tap to wake up, xbox music/game, nokia music and everything turned off. I've gone through every tip i've found but nothing helps.

I've ordered a new sim card, my currently is about 2 years old. Can that be it?

Would appreciate help on this- Thanks

EDIT
Now i have flight mode activated again and now its 6% discharge/hour on idle. WTF? :S

Last edited:

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello

I'm experiencing battery drain on my 1020 aswell. This night I tried flightmode and then i had about 1,5% battery drain/hour which is very good. When i woke up i turned flight mode off, then i instantly started having 10%/hour drain on IDLE and no background apps on. I have even turned off data and 4g. What could cause this? ,my

I have glance, tap to wake up, xbox music/game, nokia music and everything turned off. I've gone through every tip i've found but nothing helps.

I've ordered a new sim card, my currently is about 2 years old. Can that be it?

Would appreciate help on this- Thanks

EDIT
Now i have flight mode activated again and now its 6% discharge/hour on idle. WTF? :S

Check if you are signed in to facebook, if tap to send is on, if skype is working behind you, wifi also a hogger.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm always connected to my wifi at home, that is a drain?

:/, it is.
Also do this,
Soft reset, let your device battery drop to around 20%, charge it to 100% from a wall unit using an official charger & cable, using a random charger is a bad idea, it can cause random problem at random times.

iliramove

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I noticed an improvement after using the charger that came in the box. I've been using the wireless charger all this while. I guess we need to occasionally use the wall charger to calibrate the battery. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my mobile Tapatalk

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I noticed an improvement after using the charger that came in the box. I've been using the wireless charger all this while. I guess we need to occasionally use the wall charger to calibrate the battery. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my mobile Tapatalk

Yes thats correct.

fieldbaker

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
:/, it is.
Also do this,
Soft reset, let your device battery drop to around 20%, charge it to 100% from a wall unit using an official charger & cable, using a random charger is a bad idea, it can cause random problem at random times.

I've done that and actually done a factory reset aswell. It did get a little better.

I was recently out for a walk and activated 3G, then my battery discharge rate was around 20+%. I went out with around 40% battery and 2 hours later it was dead. This can't be normal. All i did was take 1 photo. No other apps running or anything.

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I've done that and actually done a factory reset aswell. It did get a little better.

I was recently out for a walk and activated 3G, then my battery discharge rate was around 20+%. I went out with around 40% battery and 2 hours later it was dead. This can't be normal. All i did was take 1 photo. No other apps running or anything.

And also do this method. Kill the battery and then recharge it full and use. Do the same for three time there will be a improvement , and also goto settings and do a reset and if you can do twice.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

Am I in the same boat with my L720?
Somewhat yes.

3G - Only switch on when needed
Location - I turn that off
Tap to Send - Only when needed
Skype - Oh no, this baby is always hungry
Facebook chat - I never use that, but it does eat battery

Always charge using a wall outlet using the original cable and charger.

GloriousGlory

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I can't help but feel frustrated for some of you. You're having to turn off normal functions to get by with battery life. It's almost like it's not a smartphone if you're having to disable all those features.

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I don't use the original cables and charger. I bought a Samsung S4 charger. I get 1 day of battery with heavy, 2 days with medium, and 3 with light use. The phone charges in a matter of an hour and a half to 2 hours depending on usage while charging. I never have problems with the battery. I have 4 apps in the background, Bing sports and weather, Wpcentral, and 6tag. I have Facebook, twitter, Xbox games on, auto brightness on medium, WiFi always on, and 3 emails set to get emails as the arrive. I couldn't be happier with my 1020 battery. I make people jealous of my phone from two things: the battery and the camera. The charger makes a huge difference in the battery life I feel. They're only $8-12 on eBay.

anon(8125585)

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
If your phone lasts only a few hours (my 1st was dead after ~8 hours) swap it. My 2nd one is amazing:

- 3G On all the time even in areas of very poor reception. It does not drain the battery excessively when in a poor 3G area (its a myth).
- WiFi On all the time.
- Bluetooth - Off
- Facebook, Twitter toasts alerts off.
- The Football app that came with the phone background update disabled as this can poll every few seconds.
- Bing Weather, Drive, Weather Alert, Week View 8 all running in the background nicely.
- Email sync every hour.
- Glance on timer setting.

After a day at work the phone battery hardly drops. Then a bit of surfing, a few photos, the odd game and still it lasts. However, when I had battery apps on it after a few charges they gave very odd readings. Not fully charging, massive discharges etc. I think they go out of calibration after a few charge cycles and need a phone reset.

My advice: If the phone is dead after 10 hours or less of light use, swap it, as like my first one, it is faulty. Also remove the any battery apps as these get you paranoid when they go out of calibration. Turn off a few things but I have not gone mad and I am getting over a days use.

Best of luck.

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
If your phone lasts only a few hours (my 1st was dead after ~8 hours) swap it. My 2nd one is amazing:

- 3G On all the time even in areas of very poor reception. It does not drain the battery excessively when in a poor 3G area (its a myth).
- WiFi On all the time.
- Bluetooth - Off
- Facebook, Twitter toasts alerts off.
- The Football app that came with the phone background update disabled as this can poll every few seconds.
- Bing Weather, Drive, Weather Alert, Week View 8 all running in the background nicely.
- Email sync every hour.
- Glance on timer setting.

After a day at work the phone battery hardly drops. Then a bit of surfing, a few photos, the odd game and still it lasts. However, when I had battery apps on it after a few charges they gave very odd readings. Not fully charging, massive discharges etc. I think they go out of calibration after a few charge cycles and need a phone reset.

My advice: If the phone is dead after 10 hours or less of light use, swap it, as like my first one, it is faulty. Also remove the any battery apps as these get you paranoid when they go out of calibration. Turn off a few things but I have not gone mad and I am getting over a days use.

Best of luck.

How many hours your phone left if you use it heavy and mild ?

With my mild usage I can reach only 1 day and 20% left.

anon(8125585)

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
2 hours of high HD gaming, some web stuff, email, plus a couple of calls. I still have 24% at the end of the day. This is so much better than my Lumia 800 could achieve.
As an aside I tried the charger that came with the phone again and it charged to 100%. Last time I used it, with a Battery monitor app installed, it stopped at ~78%. So I think removing battery apps might also be advised. A shame because they could be very helpful.

Chazn

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I also have this battery drain issue with my Lumia 1020, bought 4 weeks ago in Australia.

4G turned off, using only 3G.
Wechat - on.
Glance - off
Brightness - Low
Facebook - Uninstalled
Wifi - Connected to this as much as possible
Tap to send - Off
Xbox stuff - Off
Some apps installed like Microsoft Blink, Proshot and Whatsapp....
and 10 photos a day.
= I can only last 7-9 hours.
As what others have said, if you have to turn most of the smartphone functions off, get it replaced! Don't take this BS

Sent my Lumia 1020 to Nokia Repair Center. I'll report back to see if the issue is fixed once I get my phone back early next week...hopefully on the 28th.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99