1020 Battery Drain

6029KingStephen

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I have found that since I got this week's firmware update, to version 3050.0000.1338.1001, battery performance does seem to be significantly improved, and my tick-over rate on standby is down to 1.5% - used to be over 3%.

How can you turn off LTE and switch to 3G (not 2G mind you) on AT&T version of Lumia 1020?? Is this even possible?
Don't know if this helps with the AT&T version, but in Settings -> Mobile Network I have a setting for maximum connection speed which I can change from 4G to 3G.

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I have found that since I got this week's firmware update, to version 3050.0000.1338.1001, battery performance does seem to be significantly improved, and my tick-over rate on standby is down to 1.5% - used to be over 3%.

Don't know if this helps with the AT&T version, but in Settings -> Mobile Network I have a setting for maximum connection speed which I can change from 4G to 3G.

I ccan't find the update. My phone on AT&T doesn't have an option to update to that firmware.

furukawa

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
My 1020 battery drains >10% per an hour in idle just after factory reset and turning wifi and cellular off.
Latest firmware seems not to have any improvement.

GearDoGi

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
The answer is:
BUGZZZ BUGZZZZZ AND BUGZZZ!!!
This is an OS/Firmware issue tha many of us WP users are experiencing!
I have replaced util now 2 Lumia 920 and 3 HTC 8x but the problem didn't solve!
I think this will be fixed through firmware and OS updates (bugfixes and better coding)
In my opinion it's clearly a software related issue!

Commander Fresh

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
The answer is:
BUGZZZ BUGZZZZZ AND BUGZZZ!!!
This is an OS/Firmware issue tha many of us WP users are experiencing!
I have replaced util now 2 Lumia 920 and 3 HTC 8x but the problem didn't solve!
I think this will be fixed through firmware and OS updates (bugfixes and better coding)
In my opinion it's clearly a software related issue!

I'm sure hoping that it's only a software issue. Where did you hear of this?

Chazn

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
--------Update: 28/10/13-------------
Just got my Lumia 1020 back from Fonebiz Nokia Repair Center in New South Wales.

They did nothing. Returned it to me with a note of battery tips that involved turning everything off that defined a smartphone - "smart" in the first place.
Battery still stinks with pretty much nothing installed except WeChat.

Just browsing the wpcentral forums, with the brightness low, had the battery go down 8% in 10mins.
Very disappointed with Nokia. Even my old iPhone 5 could last longer than my Lumia 1020

KnightOfAnfala

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to pipe in with some observations. I've only had my 1020 for the second week today. I love it but I was also observing the battery life because I could barely last 8hours when using cellular data (no problems on wifi). This is constant over the past couple of weeks, especially when I am forced into using my mobile network for data, which means intermittent H/H+/E signal during the times that I am at the office.

When I arrived at work today though I noticed that I had 4G signal inside my office for the first time. I am missing 1 bar but it's consistent 4G signal nevertheless. I also observed that my battery doesn't seem to be discharging as fast as it was previously. It's now been 8 hours since my last charge and my battery app is reporting that I have 11 hours left. Not bad considering that I've left mobile network on, and I've been using FB, Viber, browsing the internet and checking my email on my phone for practically the first half of my shift. It's also not heating up, unlike before when I could only get H/H+. It used to heat up a lot and drain my battery really fast.

Last edited:

GearDoGi

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
It's my opinion.
I don't thin tha 5 devices from 2 different manufacturers can be deffect!!So i guess that this is a caused by bugs or bad coding!
One more think that makes me believe this is that in some games (mostly buggy/laggy) the batter goes down with a rate of 30%/hour and causing a related overheating on the top back of the phone and some other apps/games don't consume so much battery,so if it was a hardware failure the device would always swallow battery fast!
Many devs port apps and games from iOS and Android without optimizing them for WP to run perfectly smooth and this is one more mistake!

anon(8125585)

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
After a two weeks with my new Lumia 1020 the battery life is still epic. Much better than my old Lumia 800. I am happy to use it all day and not have to worry about a lack of juice in the evening. Still +1 day. With light use 36 hours easy.

• Lumia 1020 Number 1:~ 8hours life. :unhappysweat:
  • Lumia 1020 Number 2:+24hrs life. :love:

Both had same apps and settings. Hence it was not a software bug, mine was a hardware issue.

I SAY AGAIN TRY THIS: Remove any battery apps, soft reset the phone, charge fully and see how long it lasts. You may be surprised like I was. Three battery apps on my Number 2 Lumia 1020 showed incorrect discharge, battery bar and time left after a few cycles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

robovik

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I can hop in here and mention that I had a similar problem. For no apparent reason, my battery could never survive for more than 12 hours - no matter what I did. When it was fully charged, it mentioned around 8-9 hours battery life remaining.

I used Fiddler Web Debugger to see if any excessive data traffic was being runned from my phone, but there wasn't unless I was using it (i.e. it wasn't trying to log in to some service etcetera without me knowing it).

I had tried to let it fully discharge, and charge it up to 100% again - no luck. I had tried to shut off virtually every service including background tasks - no luck. My usage was low to medium during the testing period.

I finally resetted the phone, including a data wipe, and since then it's been working fine. It's now 12:57 CET 30/10/2013, last time since charging: 1 day and 4 hours. Approximate time left: 20 hours (41%).

Current configuration

4G: Yes
WLAN: Yes
Bluetooth: No
NFC: No
Position: Yes
Screen light: Automatic
Updates: Automatic
Background tasks: Battery Status, Bing Weather enabled and HERE Drive+ disabled
Glance screen: Off
Connect to Xbox: Off
Backup: Automatic

Apps & games installed: Spotify, Skydrive, Facebook, Bing Weather, Battle.net Authenticator, Aftonbladet, L?nsf?rs?kringar, Battery Status, Ultra vill mer, Angry Birds: Star Wars, Cut The Rope, Ruzzle, Google Mail (plus all included Nokia Apps such as Nokia Camera, HERE Maps, HERE Drive+, HERE Transit etcetera)

And to kill one rumour I heard: I have opened HERE Maps since reset. It didn't ruin my battery time.

KnightOfAnfala

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I can hop in here and mention that I had a similar problem. For no apparent reason, my battery could never survive for more than 12 hours - no matter what I did. When it was fully charged, it mentioned around 8-9 hours battery life remaining.

I used Fiddler Web Debugger to see if any excessive data traffic was being runned from my phone, but there wasn't unless I was using it (i.e. it wasn't trying to log in to some service etcetera without me knowing it).

I had tried to let it fully discharge, and charge it up to 100% again - no luck. I had tried to shut off virtually every service including background tasks - no luck. My usage was low to medium during the testing period.

I finally resetted the phone, including a data wipe, and since then it's been working fine. It's now 12:57 CET 30/10/2013, last time since charging: 1 day and 4 hours. Approximate time left: 20 hours (41%).

Longest battery life I've had on my 1020 so far was about 20 hours (I forgot because I have since reinstalled the battery app). My setting are very similar to yours. I do browse websites and check emails for about 1 hour while on the go. Play some casual games occasionally too (mostly Angry Birds), and may shoot about 10 pictures or so. I also use Viber and other messaging apps sparingly. Do you think it would be a good idea for me to do a reset too? I have already reset this phone once. but I wouldn't mind going through all the trouble again if I could get my battery to perform anywhere near your awesome battery life.

anon(8125585)

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
*******************UPDATE***************************

I had said my replacement phone was doing great on battery life. Yesterday and today however I noticed my usual day+ life had reduced to <12 hours according to the default battery gauge. Nothing else had changed apart from installing a few apps and then disabling their ''run in the background functions' after a few hours after installing them.

As a theory I turned my phone off then on again and the battey guage went from ~15% back up to 70%. It had much much more juice than it was indicating prior to turning it off. Could there be two issues.

1) An initial batch of bad batteries which even a hard reset will not solve (aka my first phone)
2) Some problem with how the software monitors battery life remaining after several charge/discharge cycles.

Anyway if suddenly a good battery phone starts discharging quickly try turning it off then on.

GearDoGi

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
It's more like a software/CPU related issue!!
The battery consumption is just a symptom!When the CPU heats up and works a lot the huge battery drainage is a related issue!

Skeet1981

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I found this a couple of times with my 8x. I think it's just the calibration of whatever monitors the battery level. I found that after a couple of time letting it drain untill it turns itself off then fully charging it resets itself.

Commander Fresh

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
It's more like a software/CPU related issue!!
The battery consumption is just a symptom!When the CPU heats up and works a lot the huge battery drainage is a related issue!

Going back to earlier posts, the phone stays cool, and hard resetting doesn't fix it. The CPU issue is quite a common one among battery problems, but in this case, battery drain is mostly fine until the percentage starts dropping and battery drain starts increasing exponentially. I'm thinking that this is more than likely a hardware issue, factory resets and full discharges do nothing. Mine was problematic since it came out of the box, but it never once got warm (except for one time when I was playing a game). Still, I don't deny the possibility that it may be software related.

On another note, has anyone who is experiencing this issue notice that the battery performs perfectly fine when the device is under load? I managed to get a little over 5.5 hours of web surfing on wifi at once, which is more (albeit not significantly more) than what Nokia claims. It seems that the battery only has trouble when nothing is happening.

jimmynexus

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Had my first battery drain issue last night, I always keep my phone on over night for the alarm in the morning. It was charged to 100% before I went to bed, by the time I got up it was at 20%

The phone has been completely fine getting at least a day and more.

Deutscher2

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Had my first battery drain issue last night, I always keep my phone on over night for the alarm in the morning. It was charged to 100% before I went to bed, by the time I got up it was at 20%

The phone has been completely fine getting at least a day and more.
Maybe the IE was on with Tabs open?

mmc-dsm

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Often but not always, when I charge the phone, it will charge to 80% max. I turn it off and back on again and it goes to 100% and the discharge after is ok. Some other times, I charge it, it will fully charge to 100% but will discharge very quickly; like 20% in hour while the phone is idling. I do the same thing, turn off and back on again. Goes back to 100% and will discharge normally after.

For me when the battery is acting up, I just turn off and back on. There must be a problem with the OS...

anon(8125585)

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Often but not always, when I charge the phone, it will charge to 80% max. I turn it off and back on again and it goes to 100% and the discharge after is ok. Some other times, I charge it, it will fully charge to 100% but will discharge very quickly; like 20% in hour while the phone is idling. I do the same thing, turn off and back on again. Goes back to 100% and will discharge normally after.

- - This is exactly what has happened with my second phone. I am fairly convinced there are two issues:

1) Phone gets very warm and drains in less than 10 hours with very light use; hard or soft reset does not make a difference - Hardware Issue.

2) Phone only shows ~80% after a charge &/or discharges quickly by showing less than actual battery life remaining; turning phone off/on resolves the problem - Software issue.

My first phone had issue one (very early UK model) but my second has had issue two (but this has only happened once in two weeks).

I have been trying to work out what caused my issue two. The only thing I did was install two apps that both default to running in the background and regularly demanding network access. This would naturally increase battery drain (I then disabled the background function after a day) Could this increase in drain compared to my previous use have confused the battery software built in to the phone?

This morning: 69% left after 22 hours of light use; extremely happy with phone but Nokia/Microsoft please look into issue two - there is a bug.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss