1020 Battery Drain

Commander Fresh

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Do this Battery app mostly used my everyone, consumes battery ? Or it just shows the statistics with negligible battery usage ?
In theory, it should be negligible. In application, however, a handful of people have complained of reduced battery life. My experience with battery apps have been good, no noticeable hit on battery performance (with that being said, I already have a defective battery, getting 20 hours max on standby).

fieldbaker

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 49571
View attachment 49572

So here's how terrible my one is. Again I reiterate I did use the phone with the only thing on being data connection. Wifi, bluetooth, glance, tap to send, brightness, email sync are either set to off or low. just thought i'd show how bad it actually is!

My battery drain was not as bad as yours, but it was bad. So i returned mine :/ I actually won a new one in a competition and it will arrive soon. Will report back how that one behaves

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Make sure it isn't the web browser stuck running javascript in the background - kill it using the task manager and/or close tabs internally.

My 920 gets much better life these days by keeping that shutdown when not actively browsing.

I_am_JK

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Where can I get those battery statistics? Is it an app from WP store or it's already in my 1020 somewhere?

If you check the Store and look up Battery, it's the first result.

Make sure it isn't the web browser stuck running javascript in the background - kill it using the task manager and/or close tabs internally.

Yup double checked that's all been done.

So got a new battery put in at the Nokia Care Point and it's not looking too great at the moment. Think last time I checked it was saying 9 hours left after a full charge. With the battery app quoting discharge rate of 10%. I reckon it might be a firmware/software issue and it's not actually the battery causing issues. But I'll give this one a good week or two before taking it back to see if it can be further fixed.

I'll keep you all posted.

I_am_JK

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
So far it's making it through a day with approximately 12 hrs battery. But that's with data rarely on, wifi on only for a round 20 mins a day, glance off, low brightness, bluetooth off, only whatsapp in the background, email syncing @ 30 mins (which can't if data connection's off) and screen timeout at 30 seconds.

As you can see it's not much better but i'm hoping to keep working the battery hard and charging it properly in the hope there's improvements. In addition I hope to be able to have some of these cool features actually switched on (like glance)! the battle continues.

Oh and check out my false hope when i first charged it haha:

wp_ss_20131114_0001.png

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
So far it's making it through a day with approximately 12 hrs battery. But that's with data rarely on, wifi on only for a round 20 mins a day, glance off, low brightness, bluetooth off, only whatsapp in the background, email syncing @ 30 mins (which can't if data connection's off) and screen timeout at 30 seconds.

As you can see it's not much better but i'm hoping to keep working the battery hard and charging it properly in the hope there's improvements. In addition I hope to be able to have some of these cool features actually switched on (like glance)! the battle continues.

Oh and check out my false hope when i first charged it haha:

View attachment 49789

The battery status is very unreliable imo. Once you reboot the phone, you will see a different reading. Something is not right with Amber I guess.

ASRoma1979

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here wih my nokia lumia 1020 I got on Saturday. This morning I took the phone out of the power hook at 7 am. Was ok till 8 AM, the battery stayed full. After turning the Here Drive App on, my battery shows worring statistics. Battery consumption raised very much up to 12%/hour. Before I opedened the Here Drive, I had 2.53%/hour consumption. After I closed the Here Drive, instead of lower battery consumption, it raised up to 17%/hour.

I have absolutely no app installed. Everything is turned off.

I shall be returning my phone on Friday. One way or another, this phone is crap. There is no justification in ghost, spoof, background app. The only reason is these phonese use cheap Chinese tech and have poor unhandled OS implementation by Microsoft.

And just before people start blabbing about iPhone, and Android have issues too. Read this: THERE IS A DIFERENCE BETWEEN AN ANDROID DRAINING BATERY BECAUSE YOU HAVE 100 APPS INSTALLED AND A NOKIA DRAINING BATTERY WITH NOTHING INSTALLED.

I advice you do the same. Return your phone and get something diferent based on Android or OS. After testing this phone for 3 days I can tell you for sure NOKIA+MS = BIGGEST CRAP EVER. And worse is no one cares.

Kon-Aitor

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
There is a problem with the devices that have built in batteries. I saw a bunch of similar posts for some android phones.

Forcing a reset (performing the key press combos that result in the battery disconnecting and reconnecting for the 1020 you press and hold "power" and "volume down") and letting the device charge to full with the included charger seems to reset the battery stats. I had horrible battery performance until I did this, since It has been pretty good I can sometimes go more than an entire day without a charge and I have ~5 push email accounts, LTE, Bluetooth, Wifi, and about 15 background apps.

ASRoma1979

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Plugin the charger and then do a software reset or the other way around?

What battery monitoring software would you recommend? Since you have 1020 too

Last edited:

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here wih my nokia lumia 1020 I got on Saturday. This morning I took the phone out of the power hook at 7 am. Was ok till 8 AM, the battery stayed full. After turning the Here Drive App on, my battery shows worring statistics. Battery consumption raised very much up to 12%/hour. Before I opedened the Here Drive, I had 2.53%/hour consumption. After I closed the Here Drive, instead of lower battery consumption, it raised up to 17%/hour.

Here Drive is a GPS application, with a lot of in-the-background processes that consume a large amount of power. This was a dumb move on Nokia's part to bundle this and not fix these issues, but if you block that from running in the background (settings -> system -> background tasks), or uninstall it, you'll get much better battery life. While you're at it, block everything else you don't need running in the background as well.

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Plugin the charger and then do a software reset or the other way around?

What battery monitoring software would you recommend? Since you have 1020 too

Battery monitoring software requires that you allow it to run in the background. Most of those apps are not well made and often result in draining more battery. I personally use Insider Pro, but I know it uses battery as well.

To perform a soft reset (not a full software reset), press and hold the volume down button and power button until you feel a short vibration. To perform the full software reset, the easiest way is to navigate to Settings -> About -> More Info -> Reset Your Phone. The full software reset will restore you phone to factory defaults and delete everything from the device.

I_am_JK

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

I have absolutely no app installed. Everything is turned off.

I shall be returning my phone on Friday. One way or another, this phone is crap. There is no justification in ghost, spoof, background app. The only reason is these phonese use cheap Chinese tech and have poor unhandled OS implementation by Microsoft.

And just before people start blabbing about iPhone, and Android have issues too. Read this: THERE IS A DIFERENCE BETWEEN AN ANDROID DRAINING BATERY BECAUSE YOU HAVE 100 APPS INSTALLED AND A NOKIA DRAINING BATTERY WITH NOTHING INSTALLED.

I advice you do the same. Return your phone and get something diferent based on Android or OS. After testing this phone for 3 days I can tell you for sure NOKIA+MS = BIGGEST CRAP EVER. And worse is no one cares.

I urge you to not put down Nokia too much on this one. It could be worth getting your handset exchanged under the warranty. In addition it's worth realising that there are a number of people I know including my gf that use iphones and barely have anything installed (only facebook, whatsapp, instagram) and they barely make it through the day e.g. 7/8 hrs before they have to charge it up. I'm pretty active on my L1020 but always makes it through the day but it's definitely not achieving certain hours that some users are posting here so I'm still going to see if i can get mine exchanged too. A large number of people have mentioned that their battery is amazing once they get a new handset so it could simply be just that!

So give them a chance to replace the handset (not the battery as that might not help) but curse them as much as you like after trying a new handset!

JK

Jack Green3

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
using it lightly i roam in the ...50% drain in ... about 12 hours in a lumia 1020 (..on my first ever charge i didn't have it plugged more than.. 3 hours tho.. >_<) .. wonder if .. that is .. about expected

liin

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Just like to add something to re-address this issue. Because I caught this faulty behavior on screen. I don't know how to attach pictures in posts here but here's what was on screen:

On "Battery Saver" settings, 'time since last charge: less than 1 hour'. It was charged to full. But it states battery life remaining at 53% with time remaining at 1day 2hrs. On Nokia's Battery Pro+ screenshot, a recent bar was at 100% and dropped to 53% on the very next bar ( with 36 bars representing most recent 48hrs ). And showed hourly consumption at 2.03%.

I had mentioned months ago when I bought this phone new from Microsoft Retail Store, that I noticed erratic battery behavior. With its faulty behavior very inconsistent too. Some mentioned the same, a few had tried getting replacements only to get a non-faulty one after a 3rd or 4th exchange. I decided to just keep mine and avoid the hassle. But most seem to think it's user error. It's not. I'm running bare minimum on apps since I use it as a camera plus calls and that's it. I've had my phone for months and it's always erratic. Definitely a quality control issue. It's a bummer because I really like this camera. I even bought 2 grip case so I just switch case if I ran out of juice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon