Returned my 1020

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Conditioning the battery is important first step for cell phones. If you did that and battery is still bad, its probably a faulty handset. You should get through an entire day with the 1020.

I think that statement is WAY to broad. I would not assume you should get through an entire day as it totally depends on what you're doing. I can guarantee you you'll be lucky to get thru half a day if you have HotSpot enabled or are watching videos all day and maybe while we're at it we should define what "all day" is. I'm sure I have a different idea of that than other people. I'm happy if my phone lasts from the time I get up until the time I'm in for the night, usally around 14 hrs. Under normal circumstances, I can do that but if i'm doing any of those other things I mentioned, then probably not.

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting another 64gb 1020 from O2. I'm going to a store to get it though, I want to be able to shout at someone if the next one is the same.

Interestingly, my 925 is still at 37% tonight despite heavy use including calls, wifi use, 3G use, games, email, web browsing , etc. I can't go back to the 925 permanently though after seeing what the 1020 camera can do.

Jono Brain

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I got a Lumia 1020 a few days ago, previously was using an iPhone 5 and a Nexus 4. Battery life after a few charges on Lumia 1020 is far better than the other 2. I think the thing with phones is it all comes down to your usage, different phones have better battery life at different things... but got to say so far so good with 1020.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
mines been about what id expect for a 2000mah battery running this spec phone and my useage patterns , defo sounds like a rogue app or faulty phone mate , better luck with the next one ;-)

daniel_sherlock

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Well Im having mixed results, i seem to be having to give it a little top up in the middle of the day. Must be something that drains it. I've put it down to being new and that I am playing with it more.

My previous phone was really good I had a Huawei ascend w1 now that was really good for battery.

Ill give mine a few more days

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to know whether my 1020 is defective because I too get poor battery performance. I start with 100% and by the time I finish work its like 20%.

I have turned all background apps except Whatsapp. I have turned off Xbox Live features, double tap, and everything else to help improve battery life.
I also check FB and Twitter regularly throughout the day but nothing else.

If I turn off the network / Wi-Fi connection my battery lasts a lot better (as expected).

You have Whatsapp - which is known to drain batteries regardless of OS. I have Whatsapp AND Line on my 920/1020, on days when I don't use these apps much, I get 60% battery at 7pm (goes off charger at 7 am). But if I use these apps, battery drains like Homer Simpson going through a box of dounuts. Yesterday I finished work at 6 with 50% and started a Line conversation with a friend and within 1 hour my battery is down to 20%. I really hate these poorly coded IM apps but too many people use them so I have to use them, I used to get way better battery life with things like Messenger/Gtalk on Android heck even Skype.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Might have been a mistake to return it. When I first got my 920, it would last me maybe 10 hours. Battery life improved greatly after about a month. I can usually get through an entire day with my battery, and there are times when I can see 70% after 12 or more hours. To the OP, I really think you should have given it more time.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry you had an issue. I'd say, it was a faulty unit. I got my 1020 on release day here in the States, and I haven't had a single issue with my phone's battery, and I'm a moderate to heavy user (multiple syncing emails, streaming music, LOTS of browsing and tethering while at work, etc). I'm not going to fault you, though, as I wouldn't be happy if I'd had the same experience. At least you have a phone with which you're happy. :)

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
That does not sound like a normal unit. Hope you'll get a good replacement. My 920 still runs with pretty good battery life compared to and iphone 4s and samsung S3.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
My take: conditioning your battery is not needed. Jumping through a million hurdles to use your device throughout the day is not either. People need to take a step back and consider what they are saying in these battery threads once in a while. No company builds a mass market phone expecting users to do those things. You shouldn't have to and you don't have to.

I've personally never done any of that conditioning or switching off everything that makes your smartphone a smartphone. I've never had a major issue with battery life. If you find yourself running out of juice way too early on a device, there are pretty much two reasons:

1. Your usage is far more intensive than the "average" user.
    (Related: honeymoon period when you first get a device, where you end up using the device more than usual.)
  2. Your device is defective.
I'd bet on 2, considering the 925 and 1020 are extremely similar.

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Might have been a mistake to return it. When I first got my 920, it would last me maybe 10 hours. Battery life improved greatly after about a month. I can usually get through an entire day with my battery, and there are times when I can see 70% after 12 or more hours. To the OP, I really think you should have given it more time.

I had a 7 day cooling off period to make my decision which expired today, it was so bad that I didn't really have much choice. It would have been a gamble.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
The battery life on my 1020 has been on par or better than my previous phone (920). I'd say your 1020 was definitely faulty. Too bad you didn't just take it back and exchange it... the 1020 is awesome!

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Weak vibration has nothing to do with battery problems and I never said it did. And yes, I think Nokia has QC problems with the Lumias, not just based on my experience (which has been good overall) but what I've seen on the forum. When someone goes through 5 phones to get one that isn't defective, that suggests to me that they may have QC issues. When people receive phones with that horrible shake problem when recording video, that seems like a QC issue. And many other problems. And I didn't say anything about other companies. Maybe they all have major QC problems, maybe not, I don't know.

Maybe I've got the wrong impression looking at too many people on the forums having issues that can be chalked up to poor QC. Maybe Nokia has shipped 100 or 10000 phones for every dud. So I'll take it back - sure, people can deny that Nokia has done a poor job of QC. You're welcome to your opinion. I'll restate my observation as "plenty of people on this forum have reported issues that don't seem like they should've made it through QC". Is that ok with you?

Some things to consider before making lump sum accusations. If Joe Blow has a bad day and forget to wash his hands before he enters the clean room at the computer chip factory. He then contaminates the chip causing it to overheat. Is that bad quality control on Nokia's part. At what point do you stop the inspection of the device. There are a lot of factors involved here. Let's don't forget infant mortality new things break it's a fact of life. I am the quality control guy for my company. We build and install conveyor systems. If I install a system today and tomorrow a motor breaks is that bad quality control. It was working yesterday just fine but today it is broken. No that's not bad quality control it's just a fact of life something we all have to live with. I am NOT making excuses for anyone here everyone should do their job correctly. Unfortunately we are all human which means we make mistakes and things happen. Now I would like to point out that this(WPC) is where people come to get help. You should expect to see a lot of complaints from people who post here. You need to keep in mind that this is a small cross section of the people who have actually purchased these devices. I would take those things into consideration before making lump sum accusations.

ryanv12

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
My girlfriend's was having the same issue. As soon as she changed Gmail sync to manual, battery life skyrocketed. Has anyone else seen that?

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Naturally mistakes happen. However, I would expect quality control (or quality assurance if you want to get technical?) to ensure that flawed products don't make it into the hands of customers. I realize it's impossible for that to be 100% effective, and sometimes problems are unavoidable due to poor design choices or unforeseen circumstances. They don't say "hardware is hard" for nothing. But Nokia sure does have a lot of experience and expertise to draw from.

Let's consider the inconsistent vibration strength as an example. It's certainly within the realm of possibility to have an automated test that measures the vibration strength of every phone coming off the line. If it's wildly inconsistent, that's a problem in my opinion. This variation either went undetected or someone made an executive decision to ship the flawed product anyway and hope that people would accept it - as I have with my 1020. That's poor. I paid as much as the next guy for a brand new product. Now the burden is on me to figure out whether what I think is a problem is their intended design decision or the result of a flaw in manufacturing. As a customer, I'm not in a very good position to do that, and it shouldn't be my responsibility.

And yes, I realize that a forum is a small cross section of people who come looking for help. But that works both ways. Not everyone who has a problem bothers to seek out this particular forum - far from it, I would expect.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Naturally mistakes happen. However, I would expect quality control (or quality assurance if you want to get technical?) to ensure that flawed products don't make it into the hands of customers. I realize it's impossible for that to be 100% effective, and sometimes problems are unavoidable due to poor design choices or unforeseen circumstances. They don't say "hardware is hard" for nothing. But Nokia sure does have a lot of experience and expertise to draw from.

Let's consider the inconsistent vibration strength asnan example. It's certainly within the realm of possibility to have an automated test that measures the vibration strength of every phone coming off the line. If it's wildly inconsistent, that's a problem in my opinion. This variation either went undetected or someone made an executive decision to ship the flawed product anyway and hope that people would accept it - as I have with my 1020. That's poor. I paid as much as the next guy for a brand new product. Now the burden is on me to figure out whether what I think is a problem is their intended design decision or the result of a flaw in manufacturing. As a customer, I'm not in a very good position to do that, and it shouldn't be my responsibility.

And yes, I realize that a forum is a small cross section of people who come looking for help. But that works both ways. Not everyone who has a problem bothers to seek out this particular forum - far from it, I would expect.

Well QC always takes it on the chin when things go wrong. Its the nature of the business.

I understand what you are saying one thing that is not clear. Do you thing Nokia has a bigger more viable quality control issue than other companies?

I always tell my people, it's not if we make a mistake it's how we handle the aftermath.

To your issue I would say give Nokia a chance to make it right. I think it's the right thing to do for you and Nokia.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion