Returned my 1020

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I understand what you are saying one thing that is not clear. Do you thing Nokia has a bigger more viable quality control issue than other companies?

I'm not sure why this is unclear. I've already said I don't know how they compare to other companies in this respect. It's very hard to make such comparisons with any degree of confidence. And even if other companies have the same or worse problems, this area especially is not one where I see parity with the competition as desirable. A company should always be striving to do the best they can for their customers, not just avoid being worse than their competitors.

I always tell my people, it's not if we make a mistake it's how we handle the aftermath.

To your issue I would say give Nokia a chance to make it right. I think it's the right thing to do for you and Nokia.

That is a fair point. Unfortunately my personality is such that if at all possible, I will make do. I hate to return/exchange anything. I won't do it unless I'm left with no choice. I get fixated on all the things that could possibly go wrong with an exchange and don't see the risk/reward ratio as being worth the attempt. In this case, I don't use vibration much anyway. I used to use it on my old Nokia feature phones when it was very easy to switch between silent/vibrate/ring, but the UI in Windows Phone put an end to that.

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
After a bit of toing and froing with O2 I was able to pick up my new 64gb 1020 today from an O2 store. I've also been assured, after making a complaint about the transaction, that my accessories kit will be here over the next couple of days. On top of that I got a credit of ?34 applied to my account due to the hassle with the pre-order and subsequent problems. Hopefully this one will be good.

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
My girlfriend's was having the same issue. As soon as she changed Gmail sync to manual, battery life skyrocketed. Has anyone else seen that?
yeah, I am currently doing some 24 hr testing turning on/off certain features, and first thing I noticed when I removed 2 x google account syncs was that the discharge rate dropped from 3.7%/hr to 1.3%/hr battery.

Sadly still not hitting the magic 0.8% discharge rate that some people say they getting despite playing video, texting, etc, etc, whereas my test was completely idle only to check battery status every hour. hmmm

Last edited:

liin

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
This is just the one issue that doesn't go away and given the number of people that do not have battery issues and the amount of existing content that exists to help with battery issues, I just don't find it all believable anymore

So you would find one report of bad battery to be believable, but when multiple owners have the same bad experience, that makes it not believable anymore? Shouldn't that make it more believable?

I can totally understand if you have a good unit and you think battery is fine. But that does not mean there's no quality control issues. I got a brand new unit from local MS retail store and the battery is bad. I still haven't do an exchange and probably won't, because I'd rather suck it up and work around it than go through the process of looking like a jerk. So, I had minimize consumption to a point where there's nothing more left to do. And it's very easy for me to minimize usage because I got this for the camera, and I'm used to iOS, so most of my mobile load is on my iPad.

My settings:
Cellular Data always off ( but I have data plans that's required for this phone )
Wifi on only when needed, which is maybe twice a week
Power Saving always on
No double tapping to wake the phone
Screen brightness set to low, then auto
No live tiles
No email account was set up.

My usage:
Phone is on on standby from 1pm to 9pm, shut down on other times.
3 texts plus 2 calls max per day, so far, all calls lasts less than 3 min
That's it. 20%+ drain per day
When I use it to take photos, it would be around a dozen shots, and I would edit about 4 of the shots on the phone. All within 2 hrs, and I'm not constantly shooting. On those days, my drain would be 80%+, so, an additional 60% from my normal 20% a day.

So yes, I never have to worry about running out of juice for my daily use, but, the way you guys are using it, would never last through the day if used on mine. However, when I take this on vacation, my phone would be dead fast.

Nokia Battery Pro+ indicates I'm draining 1% on standby, 5% when using it to make calls and texts. All seem normal, even though the math doesn't add up. And when I use apps like ProCam or Creative Studio, it would indicate I'm draining 20% to 25% per hour. Which, is still fine by me because that's 4 to 5 hrs of constantly working on photos. But again, the math doesn't add up.

Don't assume questioning quality control means owners blaming Nokia's fault or calling 1020 crap. Parts suppliers can still slip in faulty units. Of course, if caught, that trust would be broken, and Nokia would move to a different supplier which would run that faulty supplier out of business. So it's the battery suppliers' best interest to meet Nokia's standards. And so on. This is not reports of 1020 falling apart after a month of use, or moving parts of camera getting stuck, or screen started to have discoloration, or reception problem, etc. Those, would be unbelievable. This is just battery. I'm pretty sure if I could open it up and swap a good battery, mine would be like yours. Not a big problem. But a big deal only because short battery life is a bummer and asking for replacement is a hassle.

We are not dumb. Nokia figured out this piece of engineering marvel. There's no way they didn't figure out battery life to run this thing. And no low-quality low-cost mentality would put in the ridiculous effort required to build such a camera. It must be something else. I'm guessing their battery supplier had bad units that somehow ran past Nokia. And it might even be a situation where even the supplier is unaware of it.

Last edited:

liin

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
My girlfriend's was having the same issue. As soon as she changed Gmail sync to manual, battery life skyrocketed. Has anyone else seen that?
I have no email set up on my phone and cellular data is always off. Wifi on only when I need it.

liin

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
yeah, I am currently doing some 24 hr testing turning on/off certain features, and first thing I noticed when I removed 2 x google account syncs was that the discharge rate dropped from 3.7%/hr to 1.3%/hr battery. Sadly still not hitting the magic 0.8% discharge rate that some people say they getting despite playing video, texting, etc, etc, whereas my test was completely idle only to check battery status every hour. hmmm

My discharge rate:
1% standby
5% talk/text
20%+ ProCam, Creative Studio

But that's just what it indicates, if I use ProCam or Creative Studio for an hour and check Battery Pro+, I'm pretty sure I would have lost closer to 40%, as I had lost 20% in one use for half an hour as I clocked the time because it was when I picked up my daughter till we left her dance class.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium