Skype does not honor ring settings

ehuna

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I set Settings >
Ringtones + Sounds >
Ringer > On
Vibrate > Off

I change the volume and tap the "ring" icon so it switches to "silent".

I also set Settings >
Ringtones + Sounds >
Uncheck "All other notifications" (I'm thinking Skype ringing falls under this?)

I now use another Skype account on another computer to call my Skype account.
Skype and/or the Windows Phone (Lumia 1020) completely ignore my settings: the phone starts ringing through the Skype app.

Is there a workaround?
I got the latest update from today (Oct 2 2013).

I work with a big corporation in Tokyo and the phone starts ringing in the middle of the night.
The only workaround I found is to log out of Skype completely, forcing me to log in again during the day - a pain.

MrZippo

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
You tried putting the phone face down, I think if you do that the phone will be silent, not tried this myself but read that it is a feature on the lumia.

MrZippo

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Oops I got confused with the flip to silent feature, when you get a call you flip the phone face down and it silences the ringtone. Sorry, I hope you find a solution.

acilsan

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't use skype but from your explanation it means skype is using "media volume" of which windows phone still doesn't have the separate volume settings. it means the only way to silent your skype is to put your volume to zero

ehuna

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys for the suggestions, putting the volume down all the way does work but it's a pain.

I hope someone from Microsoft is reading this - Skype should act like it does on iOS, where it works like the phone app. That's what users expect, and the current implementation is very frustrating for anyone trying to use Skype to receive calls on their Windows Phone.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft has always had major trouble with volume controls going back to prehistoric times. It was a mess in the Windows 3.x era which got carried over to 9x/2000/XP, then they recreated it as an even bigger and more insidious mess in Vista which got carried over to 7/8. It's only fitting that it's a mess on WP as well. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)