Nokia Lumia 1020 Keeps Freezing

ktcred

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I originally posted this on the Nokia Care site, but believe some of you fine people may be of some great help as well.....

I have the Nokia Lumia 1020 and have been using it as my primary phone since its launch in the states. I love the phone and, up until now, I haven't had any issues. However, I'm currently on a trip overseas and I've had nothing but trouble with the phone. It continually freeze, requiring me to issue a soft reboot (volume down + power buton hold). Even after issuing the reboot, the phone doesn't always act in the desired behavior. I find myself issuing the reboot several times in a row. Moreover, the phone starts to get really, really hot and acts strange (changes my time, etc..). Here is examle of what I go through, step by step:

I'm navigating my phone, normally. Looking at pictues, browsing the web, pretty basic stuff
The phone will freeze on whatever screen I'm on. I have seen it screen while I'm in the Nokia Panorma app, 6tag, and in a handful of basic apps/built in functions
No keys or buttons are responsive
I issue a soft reboot by pressing the down volume and power button at the same time for 10+ secs
Very rarely does the phone reboot and act in a normal fashion. It will usually freeze right away and I have to issue the reboot again, and again, and again
Eventually, the phone will reboot into a somewhat working session.
My date and time is set to an aribtrary one, even though I have my phone set to automatically obtain the time (I'm currently +12 ahead from my EDT origin). It actually sets my date back to March (it is currently October) and an earlier time
Any text messages I receive come in and are not sorted to the bottom of the current conversation (I have to hunt them down from previous conversations within the same thread) - I think this is due to the date/time issue
I have had situations where my last photos taken got deleted (i.e., probably never saved correctly before the freeze)
The phone will get really, really hot

My Situation/Setup

I live on the east coast of the US (GMT -4)
I'm curently in Singapore (GMT +8)
I have the phone set to roam internationally
The phone is roaming on a 4G signal
I have the date/time set to a 24 hour clock and to get time automatically
I have wi-fi enabled, but I am usually not on a network when I freeze (I have been though)
OS version: 8.0.10327.77
Firmware revision: 3045.000.1325.0001
RM-877 ATT-US varient
Lumia Amber software

I've tied uninstalling any apps I *may* have loaded since the issue began, but I have had no luck. I've also messed with the date and time to set it manually. Again, no luck. I'm about to disable photo and video backups (I currently have them set to "best quality").

My questions:

Anybody else having this issue
Anybody have an idea as to how I can solve for it.

Thanks in advanced for any help.

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
That sounds bad... :unhappy: You could try a hard reset, but that will delete all data on your phone.

Negamaki

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I have had similar issues with needing to restart the phone or it randomly restarting on me.

However, my phone is currently stuck on the blue Windows Phone boot screen, without the Windows Phone text. There's just a blue background and it goes no further. Is there anything I can do to fix it without having to wipe the device?

acilsan

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I have had similar issues with needing to restart the phone or it randomly restarting on me.

However, my phone is currently stuck on the blue Windows Phone boot screen, without the Windows Phone text. There's just a blue background and it goes no further. Is there anything I can do to fix it without having to wipe the device?

Besides soft reset (volume down+power button hold), have you tried to drain its battery to zero and then recharge...slim chance it would work though

ktcred

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Giving it more thought...it started at the Georgia vs LSU game last Saturday. I thought it overheated, even though it really wasn't that hot out. I eventually shut it down and it started working again (I left it off during the game). However, it started back up at the Braves game that next day. I was in my car right before walking in the stadium and it froze. I held it up to the AC unit to cool it down and I was able to restart. I guess I have no choice but to go with a hard reset before leveraging the warranty. I'm very disappointed. I came from a BlackBerry to Nokia. I have owned the 820 and the 620 (for the wife). While everyone raves about them, I have not been impressed by Nokia. The 820 collected dust like crazy (the camera lens was caked with lint) and the 620 is very fragile (nothing but trouble for us and Nokia Care was a complete disappointment). I guess I was spoiled by my BlackBerry devices. Nokia, why? You have this great reputation.

PS: I have drained the battery, but maybe I will give it another whirl. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Negamaki

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Just as a heads up, I tried hard resetting my phone because of similar issues to yours and it resulted in the phone becoming completely bricked. The phone boots up to a Windows Boot Manager screen, like the one you get on your computer if the OS crashes. Except I can't go any further from there.

ktcred

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
So I went with the hard reset and now I can't even get the phone to boot (just like Negamaki noted). Must be a hardware problem. Beyond disappointing since I have several days in Bangkok and a week in Shanghai ahead. I am now without a phone and camera. Let's just say that I'm not happy.

Negamaki

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I feel you man. While this is an amazing phone by almost all regards, it's pretty unacceptable that Nokia doesn't have a solid and reliable way to restore the phone back to factory settings. I'm at college for a few more weeks and am now stuck without a phone until I return home. I can only imagine your frustration.

I know the device is still new and practically everything has its fair share of bugs but I expect Nokia to at least get on top of this. I was on the phone with customer support for hours yesterday and nobody had ever heard of this issue.

Last edited:

eugarps

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
My Lumia 1020 froze while I was browsing the App Store and was unresponsive to touch screen and button presses for ten or so minutes. It then did a spontaneous soft reboot and came back to normal. Since I have a wife with some health issues, I can't be without a phone, so I just stuck the SIM back in my iPhone 4 and returned the Lumia to the AT&T store.

i really want to like the 1020 but it has too many issues right now for me to own one.

Bill

liin

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I feel you man. While this is an amazing phone by almost all regards, it's pretty unacceptable that Nokia doesn't have a solid and reliable way to restore the phone back to factory settings.
I would attribute this type of bug to OS software, which is not Nokia.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to add that my girl's 1020 which she has had since launch with no problems has frozen twice over the last 2 days requiring a soft reset. No new apps were installed.

GunplaGamer

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Mine has frozen a once or twice but I was thinking it was because I restored from my 920. Also at times my internet sharing doesn't work or just says loading when i select it in settings, was thinking on installing GDR3 preview to see if that fixes it.

Pauliemon

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting very similar problems with my 1 week old 925. Have noticed that it's stable when on wifi but whenever I'm on mobile data I get the freeze.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I haven't had any issues whatsoever with my 1020. Come to think of it, I've never had my 920 freeze either!

Omer Bonfil

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same situation with my 1020, I have already did 2 recoveries via the Nokia Care suite, it started about 2 weeks ago, no new app installed.
the first time it got stuck on the blue screen, i downloaded the Nokia care suite and did the recovery and it worked, i lost everything but at least i had a working device.
it worked for 2-3 days, and then i got an all pixelish screen while browsing the web, restarted it with power button and volume down and again blue screen.
Recovered it again and for now its on my desk, I'm using my old Xperia P until i figure out what to do.

At least now i know i'm not the only one with this issue.

Randolph McAfee

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I've also had this problem. Someone reported that it only happened with wifi on, and sure enough, if I turn wifi off, my 1020 (running dev 8.1) does not freeze. Otherwise it freezes within a few hours. I tried a hard reset and left almost all the apps off and it still would freeze, every night (a problem as I use my phone's alarm). But with wifi off, no freezes.

I can turn wifi on and use the phone; it is only when I power down the screen (or it does so after 1 minute) that freezes occur. Usually it takes 30 minutes to an hour but can happen nearly immediately. Temporarily I'm only using wifi when I need to download something large like a state map, otherwise just using my unlimited T-Mobile LTE.

Please let me know if you can duplicate the problem with wifi off.

Derek Halcyon

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I have the 1020 randomly restarting/freezing with or without Wi-Fi being on. Heck my phone even turns itself off while it's plugged in and charging sometimes. Sometimes it doesn't reboot at all after an auto shut-down, sometimes it does, which is frustrating because I use my phone's alarm to get up for work in the morning.

This phone takes awesome pics, and I've been using WP since WP7 came out, but I've had nothing but issues with my 920 (two) /1020 (and now 2 1020s). I'm contemplating going back to Droid, but I love the WP OS so much. I dunno what to do.

sguy156

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Having same issue also,phone will get stuck on the lock screen. Only way to get is to respond is to reboot ..
Mine freezes without the wifi on. Not sure if it's a hardware issue or not .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05