Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
In order of power-intensiveness:
2G<3G<3.5G/"4G"<LTE

As for the battery life,associated with each, there are a number of factors:
-Frequency Bands it supports
-Signal Strength
-Network Reliability

And, you're in India, and your phone should default to looking for a 3G signal, so there's your problem.

im not in india nor im an indian

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Nope... Battery life is excellent, even with glance and double-tap active

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
If it is so great why did you send this from your HTC one? LOL
My battery life is pretty well though. I get up at 5:20am I go check my phone then I keep it plugged in and I go get ready for school, at 6:15 I grab my phone and go get on the bus( it is weird even when my phone is on silent the alarm blasts), I use it at normal use, surf a bit of the web listen to music about 2 hours in total throughout the day, play games sometimes(this usually determines my battery), text a few friends, rarely use for calling(hate talking on the phone), and maybe stream like 1-2 vine videos to show a friend, but not very likely. Depending on what I did that day especially gaming, I get home from school at 3:00 with battery in the range of 85%-98%. I love the good battery on my phone, I have the Nokia Lumia 822 and battery seems great to me.Forgot to mention I keep battery saver on and a lot of settings that consume battery and that I don't use off. No glance or double tap, these just seem lazy to me. I mean how hard is it to SINGLE tap the unlock button and see the time or unlock your device? I guess we just get lazier each day, I understand a little of glance like if you have a dirty job like a mechanic or something you won't want to touch your phone but other people have no excuse.

StephenWagner7

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Just chiming in on my experience. The battery life is AWESOME as long as you're not taking a million pictures... The Xenon flash uses quite a bit of juice.

For everything else, apps, calls, texts, etc... It's amazing. My old Lumia 900 would get down to empty on a full charge in the late afternoon or evening with how much I use my devices for e-mails and calls. The Lumia 1020 under MORE usage, usually it at around 60-70% by the end of the day. Sample is from using it for 4 days!

Wiz

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
If it is so great why did you send this from your HTC one? LOL

Tapatalk for windows phone sucks. That is why. I am a mobility consultant and I have an iPhone 5s, a BB 9900, a lumia 1020 and an HTC One :)

About the Lumia, go to settings/applications/background tasks and disable the ones that do no make sense. I found that some windows phone apps put themselves in there even if it makes no sense...

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Tapatalk for windows phone sucks. That is why. I am a mobility consultant and I have an iPhone 5s, a BB 9900, a lumia 1020 and an HTC One :)

About the Lumia, go to settings/applications/background tasks and disable the ones that do no make sense. I found that some windows phone apps put themselves in there even if it makes no sense...

Very true. There was a period of about three days where my battery was inexplicably draining faster than usual. It was driving me insane as I was wondering why. I checked my background tasks, and sure enough, Dominos was running in the background, after I opened the app for the first time a few days prior to order some grub. I disabled it and sure enough, my battery life was back to normal. What Dominos was even doing? Beats me, all I know is it was sucking battery and offering me no noticeable benefit.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Just chiming in on my experience. The battery life is AWESOME as long as you're not taking a million pictures... The Xenon flash uses quite a bit of juice.

For everything else, apps, calls, texts, etc... It's amazing. My old Lumia 900 would get down to empty on a full charge in the late afternoon or evening with how much I use my devices for e-mails and calls. The Lumia 1020 under MORE usage, usually it at around 60-70% by the end of the day. Sample is from using it for 4 days!

Ha ha, yup! My previous Lumia 900 got meh battery life. It was enough to power through the day, but like my iPhone-owning companions, I was often in search of a power outlet to avoid my phone dying. Switching to the Lumia 1020, WOWZA! Great battery life, plus I have several hours extra in reserve thanks to my Camera Grip Case.

About Xenon flash, my good sir, TURN OFF FLASH THIS INSTANT! Flash should always be a last ditch effort, photos are much better without it. Do yourself (and anyone who might look at those fine photos) a favour by turning flash off and instead using the superb low-light capabilities of your phone. ;)

Denny Prijadi

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
one thing to test the battery life (for those who think they got bad device) is to turn on AIRPLANE MODE and then turn on WIFI then try browsing using WIFI only and do activities using WIFI only (that rules out calling and SMS).. if you still experience extreme draining even when using WIFI and AIRPLANE MODE turned on then maybe you have a bad battery..

my own experience showed me that using WIFI only (no cellular connection) accesing a local WIFI AP, my LUMIA 920's battery life is very excellent.. but when i turn on the CELLULAR function , the battery start to drain alarmingly. The test is done at my home and close area surrounding my home where the provider's 3G signal is weak and the phone keep switching from EDGE to 3G to EDGE thus ruining the battery life and making it very hot.. but when i test CELLULAR at my office the phone behaves more like ordinary phone with great battery life , since the 3G signal there are good.

so before you think your battery is bad, check your device's endurance using AIRPLANE mode only (WIFI)..

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
My experience: Battery life is excellent on light/moderate usage with full signal strength. I'll generally be able to get 12+ hours by using the device for about an hour of music over bluetooth, sending about 100 texts, a short phone call here and there, a picture or two, and reddit (baconit). That's about an average day for me. I'll unplug around 6:30AM, and be at about 20-30% by 9PM. Around this time, I have battery saver mode set to kick in (less than 20%), and I'll be able to use the device for moderate usage for the rest of the night.

However, the good battery life can change rapidly if you enter low signal areas (including low WiFi areas, so best to turn off wifi when you're not near your router). Games, many pictures, lots of streaming, or anything GPU intensive will also KILL the battery.

The strange part for me is that any phone I've had from the N8 or earlier never experienced the issues with intense usage or low signal. Obviously games and videos drained if faster, but never as fast as the 808 (yes, S60 had the issue too!) or later. I hope its something that can be improved in updates.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Im curious what other people are reporting for hourly usage while the phone is in standby for a while. Like when I sleep, I seem to get 4% drain/hr. While thats not bad, its not really stellar either. I seem to be upwards 7-8%/hr with serious usage. I always have a strong signal, for reference.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
4% drain while idle is pretty bad. I'm seeing 0.8%. I have wi-fi always connected and an LTE signal present (sometimes weak, sometimes strong). When I see something like 4%, I know it's because I screwed up and some app or something is eating the battery.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
4% drain while idle is pretty bad. I'm seeing 0.8%. I have wi-fi always connected and an LTE signal present (sometimes weak, sometimes strong). When I see something like 4%, I know it's because I screwed up and some app or something is eating the battery.

At .8% you can't have many apps running. What do you use? 4% may sound bad, and I honestly dont know for this specific device, but from previous devices I've owned, if you're using apps that update in the background 4%/hr isn't terrible. I have weather and email every 2hrs, FB, Twitter, 6sec & 6tag, WhatsApp and a couple other apps that update data every now and then. My last 2 Blackberry's got around the same and they are known to be fairly efficient. They were slightly better in standby cause I didn't use as many apps though. I remember my old Bold 9000 getting ~2.5% in standby and all I really had updating was BBM, weather and email/etc. That was an average number too, compared to other owners on Crackberry.

I have not set mine up to conserve battery in any way. I recorded 13GB's data last month, so I use my devices. 😃

Last edited:

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Without doing anything to try and conserve battery, my battery drainage usually hovers around 4% an hour, and I land between 20-24 hour battery life. I have several apps that update in the background, as well as leaving every single service under the sun turned on, so I'm not disappointed. Could I get more if I turned these features down/off? More than likely, but 20+ hour battery is more than enough for me, and as I said, still got a few more hours in reserve, thanks to the camera grip (which I use as my primary case).

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
At .8% you can't have many apps running. What do you use? 4% may sound bad, and I honestly dont know for this specific device, but from previous devices I've owned, if you're using apps that update in the background 4%/hr isn't terrible.

I have 2 Outlook/Exchange-based email accounts set to check every 15 minutes, Weather Wallpaper, Skype, Battery Sense, and a few games that use infrequent push notifications to update their live tiles (a few times a day at the most). I do have FB integrated into the People hub but as far as I can tell it's not doing anything in the background.

I agree that if you're running a lot of stuff in the background that is receiving updates on a frequent basis, 4% may not be terrible. It's up to each person to make his or her own tradeoff. Hopefully the extra battery consumption is being put to good use, because 5x less idle battery life is quite a big difference.

Denny Prijadi

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
hmm its scary how the phone dont drop even 1 percent when put at my home with Airplane mode ON and Wifi ON.. somewhere inside lumia 920 must be a very efficient o/s yet when the phone taken out from home and start using cellular it all down hill from there .. the battery saving mode is a bit help though not much given that the phone keeps changing signal from E to H to H+..

btw what is faster ? 3G or H or H+

yunchikan

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I used the 920 before this. and I used to have to charge my phone during the day at work. but I havnt charged my 1020 yet at work (although I have only had this for about 2 weeks)
it takes me about 12 hours to go down to 25%. I am pleased. it is much better than the 920's battery, 920 wouldn't have last me half a day.

my average battery rate is around -8% / hr, average battery life is 8.5 hours.
the first few charges seemed like it took forever, after that, it charges super fast.
I have glance and double tap disabled. but I use alot of camera, music, twitter, whatsapp, and line.

and oh, I use a light theme. :)

Last edited:

RainbowSeven

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I've got 6-8%/hour when double tap to wake is on, 1-2% when double tape to wake is off

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
My 0.8%/hr is with double tap to wake on. I think you're either coming to the wrong conclusion, RainbowSeven, or your phone is busted.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
So monitoring the last 2 days, I get 6-10% drain/hr (recorded by BatteryPro+) when I constantly using the phone for WPCentral browsing, 6sec/6tag, FB, etc. No streaming though. I've noticed Fhotoroom destroys the battery though. I'll try to monitor tonight when I'm at the gym, just playing music stored on my device. Curious if it is worse than just standby. I know it shouldn't really be, but I'm curious.

I know I use my phones more than most people. This type of battery life is really on target with my past 4 phones. I can easily kill a battery in 7hrs without streaming music/video if I wanted. Admittedly, I was singing praises for this phones battery performance the first day or two but now that I have more apps running and stuff, its just "meh, same as usual."

When I'm using this phone that much, it gets really warm. Warmer than any other phone I've used. I've read reviews saying it gets warm when you use the camera alot, but any app that pounds the processor causes this heat. Video games, streaming, Fhotoroom, Vine, etc... Frankly, when I'm charging this phone I kind of worry about using it alot cause it gets so hot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99