Windows Phone 8 question - disabling speech

liin

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Don't know where else to ask this.

Is there anyway to turn speech command off that prevent it from activating all together? If not, is there a way to get rid of that pop up screen every time it activates by accident?

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Go to settings>speech if you're using WP8.

There, you'll find some settings, but...

No way to turn it off altogether.

Yep, you heard that right.
I checked, and I couldn't find anything.

ableable

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
As to my experience the setting to disable the speech doesnt occur before you have dowloaded a voice language file, no matter which language.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Go to settings>speech if you're using WP8.

There, you'll find some settings, but...

No way to turn it off altogether.

Yep, you heard that right.
I checked, and I couldn't find anything.

Look under ease of access that's where you can turn off some speech settings too,
such as speed dial, call forwarding, and announcing call ID.

I don't get any announcements unless I have those check ON and in Speech I have Use Speech,
Play Audio Confirmations and Read aloud incoming text messages enabled
I have an 810 and that's how I shut off all speech, maybe it's different with the 1020

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Guys, the question is obviously about the speech recognition that happens when you hold down the Windows button. He said "is there a way to get rid of that pop up screen every time it activates by accident". There's no other speech-related functionality that shows a pop up screen and activates by accident.

The answer is no, there's no way to disable this in the speech or ease of access settings. It would be nice if there was. The closest you can do is to disable the setting "Use Speech when the phone is locked" in the speech settings.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Guys, the question is obviously about the speech recognition that happens when you hold down the Windows button. He said "is there a way to get rid of that pop up screen every time it activates by accident". There's no other speech-related functionality that shows a pop up screen and activates by accident.

The answer is no, there's no way to disable this in the speech or ease of access settings. It would be nice if there was. The closest you can do is to disable the setting "Use Speech when the phone is locked" in the speech settings.

Right, :grin: I guess I should learn to read.
But I've stopped accidently pressing on the Windows icon for 2 seconds,
... and that stopped this from happening.
wp_ss_20131006_0001.jpg

piotr0001

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
My issue is: I don't want to lock my screen because I don't find it convenient, but when I have my lumia 1020 in my pocket, the screen not being locked, from time to time my pants hit the Windows button and it launches voice recognition with the related small noise. So: how can I disactivate voice recognition even when screen is not locked?

Thanks!

purple squirrel

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
SERIOUSLY WHY IS THIS SUCH A STUPID PHONE!!!! WHY CAN'T YOU TURN THIS OPTION OFF???? PLEASE MICROSOFT THIS IS ACTUALLY MAKING ME WANT TO SMASH MY PHONE EVERY TIME IT ACTIVATES :(((((( :crying::crying::crying::crying:

Parag Dutta

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
If you have CORTANA activated you can disable this voice sh** with ease! Open cortana and tap on the 'mic' icon once. After it get selected tap twice on the same logo. It will activate your cortana and then tell her "Open ease of access settings" After it get opened, tap once on "Narator quick launch once" and then tap twice again on the selected icon twice and walllla! You are alive again :D Thank me later!

TomasDion

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Its annoying isn't it? I'm having the same frustration and searching for answer to turn it off. The speech function is not even working well and you can't turn it off at will.

hossboss

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
When phone takes over and those damn yellow boxes appear, LE CORTANA FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When you here voice, tap once the eye glass symbol which is located lower right corner. Tap once, then tap twice. Ask cortana to open ease of access. Tap once and then twice to toggle switch off!
wtf

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
OMG. who is going to mess with that tap one tap twice crap when you have already had it with this crap. Like I have all day to screw with a device was supposed to make life easier. NOT

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99