Shifting from 808 symbian to lumia 1020

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Guys iam very much new to windows and lumia family.i have always been a symbian fan.and loved all my fones.since nokia dumped symbian for windows,now iam buying lumia 1020 coz i love best camera fone.earlier windows 7 dint xcite me..but i can see since windows 8 and amazing nokia apps, windows is improving fast and Nokia is trying to get symbian type feature to it. i want to guys to help me how to use windows and understand it..since iam cmg frm symbian.... curently 808 pv my main fone, note 2 as 2nd and bb 9900 fr bbm..now soon bbm will cme to android i will have 2 fone , main 1020 and note 2...thanx guys :)

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm an ex-Symbian lover too. Really enjoyed using Symbian and customizing the OS and was a little weary of making the switch to WP. Like you, pre-WP8 devices didn't really do anything for me but I took the plunge with a Lumia 920 and the experience has been mostly positive.

You will not have the same level of customization as you may have been used to with Symbian. There's no custom firmwares, hacking or mods but that will probably come eventually. What you will get is a fairly well supported OS with plenty of new apps being developed and updated. A phone with specs that can compete with other modern smartphones, a hugely improved resolution and as you're going from the 808 to the 1020, you're going to get a superb camera which is overall an improvement on the 808.

As far as I'm concerned, there's no going back to Symbian now. I even deleted all my CFWs, mod files, apps and games from my computer last. It was sad in a way as I had spent so much time working on things but I was able to free up over 40GBs of space on my computer.

Best advice I can give you for now is, try to get hold of the 64GB version of the 1020. The 32GB just isn't enough space.

The_Borg_Collective

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi Jeetu,

I have upgraded to the Lumia 1020 from the PV 808 and I like you have been a big Nokia fan for a long time but would advise to read ever paper online in regards to the Lumia 1020 and WP8 as even very simple thing you would have taken for granted on the 808 can be a issue on the 1020 I.e moving files from PC to mobile and editing, no file explorer, poor battery life, camera is NOT as good as the PV and I don't care what anyone has to say, very limited apps, 1020 take far too long to take a snap from locked screen when camera button is held down, no voice control without network connection, Maps and navigation is a toy compared to Ovi Maps and be warned when syncing poi, NO usb OTG plus the 808 can handle 64gig SD card and has interchangeable battery and that's just off the top of my head.

I have had my 1020 for three weeks now and can't tell you of a single advantage to upgrade from PV 808 to the Lumia 1020 so think long and hard mate.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi Jeetu,

I have upgraded to the Lumia 1020 from the PV 808 and I like you have been a big Nokia fan for a long time but would advise to read ever paper online in regards to the Lumia 1020 and WP8 as even very simple thing you would have taken for granted on the 808 can be a issue on the 1020 I.e moving files from PC to mobile and editing, no file explorer, poor battery life, camera is NOT as good as the PV and I don't care what anyone has to say, very limited apps, 1020 take far too long to take a snap from locked screen when camera button is held down, no voice control without network connection, Maps and navigation is a toy compared to Ovi Maps and be warned when syncing poi, NO usb OTG plus the 808 can handle 64gig SD card and has interchangeable battery and that's just off the top of my head.

I have had my 1020 for three weeks now and can't tell you of a single advantage to upgrade from PV 808 to the Lumia 1020 so think long and hard mate.

Granted you have made some valid points, particularly the lack of a file explorer and no USB-OTG but your comments on the camera are unjust imho. Just look at the photos and videos in the 1020 thread and some of them are absolutely amazing. There are some issues though...some images are a little too saturated and some people have reported issues with white balance. Thankfully, I haven't noticed unacceptable levels of either. Even with my Symbian rose tinted specs on, I can recall the 808 producing some poor shots in amongst the ones which were outstanding.

The battery life isn't a patch on the 808 but it's comparable with other smartphones so that's not a huge issue for me. Very happy with HERE maps and apps. Not quite as good as Ovi but more than adequate imo and has served me well since using the 920/1020.

WP couldn't be more different to Symbian and at first, I was completely frustrated with things like syncing and data transfer but it's not an issue now. I've gotten used to how WP works and found ways and workarounds to do all I need to do. Some more features such as USB-OTG, a file manager and an improved task manager would be great though.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Consensus seems to be that the 1020's camera is almost as good as the 808's, but not quite. My personal theory is that some 808 fans within Nokia purposely sabotaged it so their precious 808 would remain the best. :)

Seems the only advantage people have commonly reported going from 808 to 1020 has been a better web browser, which is pretty sad because IE is not very good. I haven't used Symbian on a smartphone and I know WP's app availability situation is poor, but I have to believe it can at least beat Symbian there... except for maps apparently and probably some other things that are unavailable due to marketplace restrictions.

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I had the 808 and loved the camera. Symbian and I had a love-hate relationship. It had all the features and the capacity to do everything I wanted. Unfortunately, it didn't do everything I wanted, and it was sluggish and what it did too. Now that is likely most attributed to the fact that it was no longer being developed, and that the hardware was significantly underpowered. Either way, I love the device, loved the camera, but got very frustrated with the software. I often found myself taking the Android route and trying to flash the device for that slight edge of speed, but never really got where I wanted and spent way too much time setting up the device over and over.

When the 920 came out, I said screw it and planned to sell my 808. I quickly upgraded to the 920, and loved WP8. Unfortunately, the camera was definitely nowhere near the 808, in spite having the PureView name. So I ended up not selling my 808, and I basically used the 920 as a phone, and the 808 as a camera. Finally, the 1020 came out, and my 920 was having more and more issues. The 920 was a nice device, but was definitely rushed to release. Without going too much into the flaws of the 920, after many replacements, the kind employees at the Microsoft store agreed to an exchange for the 1020, where I paid the difference. Good enough for me because I was sick of the 920 and really wanted the 1020.

Now that I have the 1020, I've found that the pictures sometimes have a very bad yellow tint that makes them look a little sickly, but some quick and simply photoshopping can fix that up easily, even if just "autocolor" is pressed. The question that remains lingering in my mind is - Can this device replace my 808 as a camera? To answer that, if you look at all the comparison shots online between the 808 and the 1020, I pretty much have the same conclusion. The 808 had, and still has, the best camera in any phone in most circumstances. Unfortunately, the phone (and I don't mean making calls, S60 was GREAT at that) portion of that equation is nowhere near the competition in terms of usability. What I have found is that the 1020 takes very close to the quality of pictures taken by the 808, but it excels in low-light photography (in agreement with many reviewers). The slow picture-to-picture time, I believe, is largely related to the procam app. If you use ProShot, you won't get the 34 MP image, but it is much faster (not at 808s level though). Also, if you use Manual Focus (in any app), the picture to picture time can be faster as long as you don't need to refocus.

In summary - the 808 is still Camera King in my book, and I am still going to hold on to it for camera purposes. However, I am going to leave it home most of the time because the 1020 is more usable as a phone and, in most cases, can get close enough for me as a camera. Also, thinking the 920 was a worthy replacement was a mistake - that was maybe an acceptable replacement for my N8...maybe.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanx guys for yr suggestions. ..lets wen my 1020 arrives....I will always have 808 as backup fone...the prblm with symbian is there have no apps and is a dead os now...and frm jan 2014 nokia store will have no new apps...I think wp is modern os tat nokia need to make it more feature rich and easy to use as symbian...soon windows will get gdr 3...thou camera is very impt to me...will lets u guys knw how I feel abt nokia 1020...in india only 32gb is available. ..I dnt think I will need more than 32gb...few days to go fr my yellow beast... :D

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanx guys for yr suggestions. ..lets see wen my 1020 arrives....I will always have 808 as backup fone...the prblm with symbian is there have no apps and is a dead os now...and frm jan 2014 nokia store will have no new apps...I think wp is modern os tat nokia need to make it more feature rich and easy to use as symbian...soon windows will get gdr 3...thou camera is very impt to me...will lets u guys knw how I feel abt nokia 1020...in india only 32gb is available. ..I dnt think I will need more than 32gb...few days to go fr my yellow beast... :D

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
In terms of raw image quality, the 808 is better than the 1020. I've done my own tests, I've looked at 100s of images from both phones, and on a per pixel level the 808 has more potential. Also the xenon flash/white balance on the 808 is better as well. You could say that I am just trolling or whatever, but honestly I don't have time for that kind of bs, and in general the most important thing in a smartphone for me is the camera.. so I don't care who makes it, if someone comes up with a camera better than the 808's tomorrow, I will buy it right away.

I am sure that Nokia will fixe some of the issues with the 1020, but despite that... it will be hard to compensate for a smaller sensor and a weaker xenon flash. So.. I will pass on that one... maybe Microsoft can pick up where Nokia left off with the 808 and bring us a water (including salt water please) resistant smartphone with 1" sensor, decent optics, and a fat xenon flash :)

AS far as the OS, transitioning from Symbian to WP can be rough, especially if you are comfortable with Symbian. Its a very powerful OS and it still holds its own.. in fact, I just played around with iOS 7 running iphone 5 and I can tell you that Apple took a very close look at Symbian Belle FP2. Ultimately it depends on your expectations and needs when it comes to the software..

WP has a superior browser, more games, and arguably a better overall UX.. but that one is kind of a personal choice to be honest. Symbian, combined with the 808's hardware is very hard to beat.. as surprising as that sounds..

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
In terms of raw image quality, the 808 is better than the 1020. I've done my own tests, I've looked at 100s of images from both phones, and on a per pixel level the 808 has more potential. Also the xenon flash/white balance on the 808 is better as well. You could say that I am just trolling or whatever, but honestly I don't have time for that kind of bs, and in general the most important thing in a smartphone for me is the camera.. so I don't care who makes it, if someone comes up with a camera better than the 808's tomorrow, I will buy it right away.

I am sure that Nokia will fixe some of the issues with the 1020, but despite that... it will be hard to compensate for a smaller sensor and a weaker xenon flash. So.. I will pass on that one... maybe Microsoft can pick up where Nokia left off with the 808 and bring us a water (including salt water please) resistant smartphone with 1" sensor, decent optics, and a fat xenon flash :)

AS far as the OS, transitioning from Symbian to WP can be rough, especially if you are comfortable with Symbian. Its a very powerful OS and it still holds its own.. in fact, I just played around with iOS 7 running iphone 5 and I can tell you that Apple took a very close look at Symbian Belle FP2. Ultimately it depends on your expectations and needs when it comes to the software..

WP has a superior browser, more games, and arguably a better overall UX.. but that one is kind of a personal choice to be honest. Symbian, combined with the 808's hardware is very hard to beat.. as surprising as that sounds..

Looking at your comparison, it's hard to argue which phone wins in the camera stakes. I no longer have my 808 so I'm unable to run a side by side comparison under the same conditions but the 1020 is perfectly capable of taking some amazing photos, as did my old 808. I have found more varying results with the 1020 though. That isn't to say that all photos captured with the 808 were perfect as some were crap and were immediately deleted but they were usually the result of my error. With the 1020, it can sometimes be a lottery in post-processing.

Symbian wins in the OS maturity too...by a long way. For people who are used to Symbian, there is no easy transition to a locked OS such as WP unless you are willing to sacrifice your comforts.

That is where the debate ends for me. The 1020 wins in all other areas (except battery life!!)..it's faster and far more capable of acting like a smartphone and arguably can still hold it's own in image quality...albeit with varying degrees of success. Video quality is certainly on a par if not better than the 808.

I do miss the freedom of Symbian but there's no turning back now :)

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
i loved symbian dearly from the old skool 6680 all the way up to the 808 , iv had so many Symbian devices its unreal and i really did enjoy them . However towards the end i found that they were a little less capable as a smartphone then other platforms . Its mainly the online stuff like selling on eBay , mobile banking , trying to book a hotel room abroad , social networking etc it really is quite poor and clunky compared to other systems these days and now they are stopping Nokia/ovi store it will get even worse

the web browser is so poor on Symbian that you cant even use that to replace apps etc , i used opera mini , it was fast but lacking in areas for sure . In the end the only reason i really carried my 808 was because the camera was so so good that most point and shoots couldn't match it and using one always left me dissapointed in iq levels of the photos . I was happier to carry my 808 as a phone , sat nav , great camera , music player device with the odd little web browse and social networking session through opera mini and then do any online stuff when i got back home etc

i tried replacing my 808 with a s3 , lumia 920 , s4 , s4 zoom and none of them could replace it because i honestly felt like i was jeprodising good photo shots and brilliant memories with half the quality i could if i had the 808 in my pocket , i knew that when i looked back i would say why did i swap my 808 for the s4? because of better Facebook? because of a better web browser? now i have these blurry images to flick through that i cant zoom into and appreciate the whole scene because as soon as i zoom in it becomes blurry and pixelated with loads of noise ..... it would have killed me so literally after a day or two of using the replacement phone i would be packing it up to send it back to amazon to get my moneys back

when i heard about the z1 and 1020 i got a little excited that one of theses devices could replace my trusty 808 ..... the z1 is pretty bad from what iv seen , well not that bad when compared to other camera shooters but bad compared to nokia 808 and nokia 1020 . When i saw images from the 1020 i knew i had to try one and to be honest it does the job well , well enough for me to dump the 808 and enjoy the 1020 as my main device

i am not going to pretend the 808 shots are inferior to the 1020 the shots from the 808 well they can be much cleaner and noise free and the 1020 does tend to be a bit harsh on post processing sometimes where as the 808 would just be clean and pure , the 808 has a better lens and sensor so it is going to produce better , cleaner , noise free shots in situations that allow it to and if used on a tripod it will almost always produce an image that has better iq and quality , however the 1020 is still a great camera and for me it excels in some areas even .

Take shooting in the night , i dont carry a tripod with me and the 1020 is allowing me to shoot around 2 seconds hand held and producing clean images that can be used , with the 808 i would struggle and the shots would be blurry at lower speeds then 2 seconds , then you have the interface of the camera it is great and really usefull to fine tune your images etc where as the 808 had to be tricked into using a slower shutter speed etc , the 1020 is also very good at no flash higher iso shots then the 808 from what i am seeing which again can be handy and very quick to bam the iso up via the great interface and shoot away

basically what i am kind of saying is the same as nick 1020 i loved my 808 and the camera rocked but as a smartphone it was starting to show its ages and it annoyed me on several occasions , with the 1020 i feel like i have a great , fun , modern smartphone with a great camera too . i don't feel that i am missing out now like i did when i carried the s4 as i know that the 1020 will take pictures in any condition i will be happy with in many years to come when flicking through my memories books and pictures

i think any 1020 user should thank the 808 and its team for starting this work though (over 5 years ago) and appreciate what nokia have fitted into such designs on both ocassions , mark from pureview summed it up well when he said that the 808 is king but the 1020 is defently a good prince to carry on the crown ;-) lets just hope that nokia/microsoft keep up the good work in the camera department and all this great work doesn't get lost in all this transition going on at the minute

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
i loved symbian dearly from the old skool 6680 all the way up to the 808 , iv had so many Symbian devices its unreal and i really did enjoy them . However towards the end i found that they were a little less capable as a smartphone then other platforms . Its mainly the online stuff like selling on eBay , mobile banking , trying to book a hotel room abroad , social networking etc it really is quite poor and clunky compared to other systems these days and now they are stopping Nokia/ovi store it will get even worse

the web browser is so poor on Symbian that you cant even use that to replace apps etc , i used opera mini , it was fast but lacking in areas for sure . In the end the only reason i really carried my 808 was because the camera was so so good that most point and shoots couldn't match it and using one always left me dissapointed in iq levels of the photos . I was happier to carry my 808 as a phone , sat nav , great camera , music player device with the odd little web browse and social networking session through opera mini and then do any online stuff when i got back home etc

i tried replacing my 808 with a s3 , lumia 920 , s4 , s4 zoom and none of them could replace it because i honestly felt like i was jeprodising good photo shots and brilliant memories with half the quality i could if i had the 808 in my pocket , i knew that when i looked back i would say why did i swap my 808 for the s4? because of better Facebook? because of a better web browser? now i have these blurry images to flick through that i cant zoom into and appreciate the whole scene because as soon as i zoom in it becomes blurry and pixelated with loads of noise ..... it would have killed me so literally after a day or two of using the replacement phone i would be packing it up to send it back to amazon to get my moneys back

when i heard about the z1 and 1020 i got a little excited that one of theses devices could replace my trusty 808 ..... the z1 is pretty bad from what iv seen , well not that bad when compared to other camera shooters but bad compared to nokia 808 and nokia 1020 . When i saw images from the 1020 i knew i had to try one and to be honest it does the job well , well enough for me to dump the 808 and enjoy the 1020 as my main device

i am not going to pretend the 808 shots are inferior to the 1020 the shots from the 808 well they can be much cleaner and noise free and the 1020 does tend to be a bit harsh on post processing sometimes where as the 808 would just be clean and pure , the 808 has a better lens and sensor so it is going to produce better , cleaner , noise free shots in situations that allow it to and if used on a tripod it will almost always produce an image that has better iq and quality , however the 1020 is still a great camera and for me it excels in some areas even .

Take shooting in the night , i dont carry a tripod with me and the 1020 is allowing me to shoot around 2 seconds hand held and producing clean images that can be used , with the 808 i would struggle and the shots would be blurry at lower speeds then 2 seconds , then you have the interface of the camera it is great and really usefull to fine tune your images etc where as the 808 had to be tricked into using a slower shutter speed etc , the 1020 is also very good at no flash higher iso shots then the 808 from what i am seeing which again can be handy and very quick to bam the iso up via the great interface and shoot away

basically what i am kind of saying is the same as nick 1020 i loved my 808 and the camera rocked but as a smartphone it was starting to show its ages and it annoyed me on several occasions , with the 1020 i feel like i have a great , fun , modern smartphone with a great camera too . i don't feel that i am missing out now like i did when i carried the s4 as i know that the 1020 will take pictures in any condition i will be happy with in many years to come when flicking through my memories books and pictures

i think any 1020 user should thank the 808 and its team for starting this work though (over 5 years ago) and appreciate what nokia have fitted into such designs on both ocassions , mark from pureview summed it up well when he said that the 808 is king but the 1020 is defently a good prince to carry on the crown ;-) lets just hope that nokia/microsoft keep up the good work in the camera department and all this great work doesn't get lost in all this transition going on at the minute

That kinda summed things up perfectly.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I guess most ppl r happy switching frm symbian to windows...I know I have to compromise in os level...but I get modern ui quality apps better camera setting in 1020...better ecosystem. ..and awesome built quality of 1020 with its polycarbonate body....thou my 1st love 808 will always be there if 1020 fails on me...thanx guys... :)

Last edited:

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
... if someone comes up with a camera better than the 808's tomorrow, I will buy it right away.
... maybe Microsoft can pick up where Nokia left off with the 808 and bring us a water (including salt water please) resistant smartphone with 1" sensor

@vlad0: Nokia has always built excellent cameras that can fit into a phone form factor, and the 808 is probably pushing it in terms of thickness. With inclusion of OIS, the overall thickness would have increased significantly even with a 1/1.2" sensor, let alone a 1" sensor. So, we have to give Nokia a lot of credit for being able to engineer a 41MP camera with OIS capabilities which is even thinner compared to the 808.

Now, if you totally don't care about thickness, and you just want a giant DSLR that can make calls, then you should write to Samsung to launch the Samsung Galaxy S4 DSLR. Samsung is known to create ridiculous products like that, so maybe they can fulfil your fantasy. I hope they do. And I hope you will share a picture of yourself answering a call on that DSLR.

If you do care about thickness, Nokia's (or future Microsoft) imaging team is the ONLY one that will deliver this. You can safely trust that 1020's BSI 1/1.5" sensor is the optimal sensor size that they were able to squeeze into a phone form factor, given current technology. You can trust that if they could put a 1/1.2" sensor, they would have. Perhaps with graphene or nano-tech, they will be able to give you a 1" sensor. And you can trust that they are working on making better and/or thinner cameras for future generations. But at least recognize that Nokia works with image quality and design elegance in mind.

If you just want a freak cameraphone device, go look for Sony/Samsung instead.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

What the 1020 has over the 808 is image stabilisation and much improved low light performance, in a package running a modern and lets face it, better OS in a much better looking body.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Consensus seems to be that the 1020's camera is almost as good as the 808's, but not quite. My personal theory is that some 808 fans within Nokia purposely sabotaged it so their precious 808 would remain the best. :)

Seems the only advantage people have commonly reported going from 808 to 1020 has been a better web browser

Aw, come on. Damian Dinning, when asked whether he thinks the 1020 is a better camera, replied that his "808 is now crying in the drawer". I'm pretty sure he wasn't talking about web browser.

And, by "consensus" you mean the few vocal Symbian fanatics? Quite a shame that a WP fan actually helps to perpetuate that myth. And trust me, even among those not driven by obsessive hatred towards WP/MSFT, many of them are actually n00bs when it comes to comparing pictures. Better to do a careful and thorough reading of Damian Dinning's detailed commentary about the 1020 versus 808, and draw your own independent conclusions from it. People claimed that the 808 is better because it is purer with less noise. Damian explained that the same result can be achieved by running the 1020's image through noise reduction in Photoshop. Meaning to say, the difference is not due to optical qualities or hardware, it merely comes down to post-processing algorithm. Which can be fixed. Colour/saturation, again, can be fixed. In other words, if tomorrow Nokia decides to make the 1020's images look like the 808's, they could. Just that Nokia preferred to tailor their camera to the preference of majority of users rather than a small minority.

Thick hump on the 808? Cannot be fixed. Lack of OIS on the 808? Cannot be fixed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs