Win 8.1 features and L1020

Panathas

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I want to buy the L1020 but I am not sure if this device is future proof (for me). The Hardware is from end 2012 and MS is bringing in some months WP8.1.
I know, nobody can answer my questions for sure, but what do you think, will the L1020 get all the updates soon after release?
And will Cortana work with the S4 processor? Have read rumors that Cortana will be always on (like the MotoX), what doesn't work with the S4.
And one more, what happens with the Nokia services after the acquisition from MS? Will we still be able to use Nokia Music? That's for me one of the most
important programs on WP. BTW how long does it take to launch Nokia Music on the L1020, is it still so slow? Why are the Nokia programs launching all so damn slow? :/
Would love to hear your opinions to this questions.

alv3st3r

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I want to buy the L1020 but I am not sure if this device is future proof (for me). The Hardware is from end 2012 and MS is bringing in some months WP8.1. I know, nobody can answer my questions for sure, but what do you think, will the L1020 get all the updates soon after release?
Unlike Android, WP8 is a very optimised OS. So you don't really need to worry about the hardware part. It is a future proof device. Its a flagship device afterall and will get all the updates unless we're talking about WP9 then its an entirely different story.

And will Cortana work with the S4 processor? Have read rumors that Cortana will be always on (like the MotoX), what doesn't work with the S4.
I've heard many rumors from popular sites but it is the first time I'm hearing this from you.

how long does it take to launch Nokia Music on the L1020, is it still so slow? Why are the Nokia programs launching all so damn slow? :/
Would love to hear your opinions to this questions.

Don't know about 1020 but Nokia Music resuming time is insane on my 720 (maybe due to 512MB). They really need to optimise the heck out of this app. I don't even have over 100 songs in my phone memory, I wonder what'll happen when I toss my microSD card in it which has over 1000 songs and I just hate the fact that the music list jumps back to top whenever I press back. This is not how a music app is supposed to work.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Unlike Android, WP8 is a very optimised OS. So you don't really need to worry about the hardware part. It is a future proof device.

That's complete BS on every level.

Based on Microsoft's behavior with WP so far, I wouldn't assume for a second that they'll bend over backwards to support older hardware. It may help that the 1020 is a flagship phone, but its internals were not exactly cutting edge at the time of its release and newer hardware is on the horizon. Microsoft is going to want to take advantage of the newer hardware. They aren't going to want to put in the work to scale down to different and less capable hardware. I'd expect some features to be limited or entirely unavailable on hardware that predates a significant OS release.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not expecting much beyond what we have today.

RainbowSeven

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
IMO it needs bug fixes above all: stability fixed (reboots), bluetooth fixes, and some usability improvements and it would be just fine.
I'd rather have limited number of improvements but more stable OS than unstable OS with some "gimmicks".

Windows Phone 8 is my first unstable OS since years (reboots, freezes) - it's really annoying... I hope it's going to be fixed soon.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
IMO it needs bug fixes above all: stability fixed (reboots), bluetooth fixes, and some usability improvements and it would be just fine.
I'd rather have limited number of improvements but more stable OS than unstable OS with some "gimmicks".

Windows Phone 8 is my first unstable OS since years (reboots, freezes) - it's really annoying... I hope it's going to be fixed soon.

have you done a hard reset?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire