Going back to WP8 after a 90 day run with Android, couple of questions to ask about the 1020

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I haven't been on here in what feels like years, but it has been 3 months since I have had a windows phone. Yes that's right, I found myself ordering another Xperia Z after looking on Expansys to see that they lowered the price to a really attractive point. I gave my 925 to my nephew which he absolutely loves (lucky kid, the phone was only 2 months old).

However I still have been chasing up latest news on windows phone 8 as well as android, and after hearing that the 1020 is now available in the UK I upped sticks and have come back. I have left android with a few surprising conclusions.

To cut it short, android, (and this will come as no surprise) does have a few features missing on windows phone. Wi-Fi direct and the "throw" capability, though very buggy on the Xperia Z, when it works is really good. I loved the quick setting in the notification bar at the top which with 4.2 update gave you the chance to customize them.
And the good points stop here.

Android is so laggy at times it really gets frustrating. They keyboards on them are ridiculously inaccurate as is the auto correct. There are a mixture of different sized and coloured fonts which make android feel very cheap next to the classy WP8. The performance on what is still considered to be good specs on the Xperia Z still somehow managed to make Temple run:brave lag - whether this was to do with the 1080p display, I don't know.

Anyways, enough of that. My 1020 is arriving tomorrow and I am playing it safe and getting a black one. Im thinking a black one with a white charging come camera case thing will look really good, I am thinking at least.

My two questions I have are;

The camera white balance problems which have been reported - Is this purely to do with changing the settings or is there an update or is there going to be? Or are people just being pedantic ?

And secondly, and maybe most importantly, battery drain issues - This is history repeating itself a little as I seem to recall the 920 having this problem, with people saying that it was the NFC which is turned on by default out of the box, and not many people knew how to turn it off. If that's all it is then that is fine.

Anyways any help would be great guys. Also what do yous think of the 1020? Does it deserve the hype it is getting ? Or does it deserve more, or less?

Last edited:

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm liking mine a lot. I've had many android phones (S3, Note2, s4, htc one etc) and I find the 1020 to be great.
Battery is not as good as my s4 but not that big of a deal.

To be honest the Nokia Pro Camera app needs a lot work. The images are too soft, color is crap indoors, and prone to blur.
I really wish they included profiles such as night, sport etc to quickly switch instead of having to manually edit each shot.

I do find the nokia app to be great in daylight. In low light and indoors I have been using ProShot and getting awesome photos. Especially black and white.

Overall the camera is excellent but I question the processing algorithm from Nokia. It definitely ruins photos. I much preferred the crisp photos of the 808 camera software. Hopefully Nokia updates this. For now ProShot is amazing :)

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Overall the camera is excellent but I question the processing algorithm from Nokia. It definitely ruins photos. I much preferred the crisp photos of the 808 camera software. Hopefully Nokia updates this. For now ProShot is amazing :)

I've used ProShot off and on. I like that I can have presets, but overall, I think the quality is a bit less than ProCam - question - does or can ProShot tap into the oversampling feature of PureView phones?

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I've used ProShot off and on. I like that I can have presets, but overall, I think the quality is a bit less than ProCam - question - does or can ProShot tap into the oversampling feature of PureView phones?

No not yet. There is another thread where the developer commented on hoping to include this in the future.

stephen9

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
The 1020 is superb. It is by far the best phone I've ever had. WP8, with Nokia design/quality, is a formidable combination, and when you become acclimatised with the camera/Pro Cam app, you will begin to manage outstanding shots. As a amateur photographer, exploring the full-frame delights of an exceptional DSLR, I relish the use of the 1020, as my substitute 'snappy' camera - this is all you need as an 'always with you' camera - and when used well, as some here on this forum, it is an amazing camera. Plus the 1020 is an excellent email device (WP8 is by far the most efficient 'business' email O.S. in my opinion, with multiple email accounts all sync'ing seamlessly).
You will not regret buying this phone - just look after it! i've just received my Nillkin case (part PU/part moulded case) which protects all (inc camera protrusion) - does the job well with the added bonus of making it look slimline.....
Go for it - be different!

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
The white balance issues generally seem to result from the flash going off when it's not needed from what I can tell. The camera on the 1020 is absolutely excellent, but you can't trust the auto settings quite as much as you could on the 920. This is probably just down to it using Nokia's own camera app over Microsoft's. The good news is that your pictures will come out just fine 90% of the time on auto settings, but you will probably want to become proficient at adjusting them manually as well. Also the camera is noticeably slower than the one on the 92X phones.

I have not experienced the battery drains that I had on my 920 on the 1020. Honestly it seems like luck of the draw whether this happens or not, as I have Bluetooth, NFC, Wifi and my cellular connection on at all times and my battery life is pretty consistent.

Anyway, I really love the 1020. After getting used to the camera hump, which didn't take long, I definitely think it feels better in my hand than the 920. The screen produces better colors and contrast with an improved viewing angle, the speakers are louder and clearer, and the camera is fantastic. Apart from that anything you loved about your 925 has not changed here. It's a top-tier phone to be sure

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
The 1020 is superb. It is by far the best phone I've ever had. WP8, with Nokia design/quality, is a formidable combination, and when you become acclimatised with the camera/Pro Cam app, you will begin to manage outstanding shots. As a amateur photographer, exploring the full-frame delights of an exceptional DSLR, I relish the use of the 1020, as my substitute 'snappy' camera - this is all you need as an 'always with you' camera - and when used well, as some here on this forum, it is an amazing camera. Plus the 1020 is an excellent email device (WP8 is by far the most efficient 'business' email O.S. in my opinion, with multiple email accounts all sync'ing seamlessly).
You will not regret buying this phone - just look after it! i've just received my Nillkin case (part PU/part moulded case) which protects all (inc camera protrusion) - does the job well with the added bonus of making it look slimline.....
Go for it - be different!

Thanks for the heads up ! Yes I have already ordered screen protectors and a leather pouch for it as I always do when buying any new phone. Well I really like my 920 and 925 a lot. Cant wait to get my hands on the camera aspect of it though :D

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
White balance is incorrect a lot of times even with flash off. Not the end of the world but it needs to be fixed.
Other than that this phone is awesome.

liin

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I really wish they included profiles such as night, sport etc to quickly switch instead of having to manually edit each shot.
Personally, I won't want those cluttering up the interface. It's much faster to do it manual. Those auto modes never worked for me anyways.

What I want from ProCam is shutter speed control and exposure lock on its video.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Also, Nokia clearly stated around the launch of this device, that the picture quality can be altered to preference. They were answering back towards all the negativity about the WB.

Even then touch ups will fix this. This phone is meant for the enthusiast and most will "fix" their pics for better quality. Even if some doesn't like the quality, none can deny the zoom capabilities or details of the pics, with down sampling.

You'll be fine!

attract

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm still using my old HTC Titan with version 7.8 and can't see no big improvements to windows phone 8 so that i should get one.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
No not yet. There is another thread where the developer commented on hoping to include this in the future.

Hey it looks like I found the thread you were talking about.

The developer did confirm with Nokia that even though ProShot is a 3rd party app, his 5MP shots are indeed oversampled from the full 41MP sensor!

I redownloaded and was really happy about the results - his program has much better white balance!

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1020/242692-any1-using-pro-shot-lumia-1020-a.html

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Here is the post about oversampling - the 5MP shots are produced from it - what he's working on that the program does not have yet is processing full high-res shots. He does that, then I'll shoot Macro with ProShot as well!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by marratj
Hi there, first let me say, I also bought ProShot back then for my 920, such a good app has to be supported! A question that's spinning around in my mind already for a while you can probably answer regarding the 1020's oversampling. Developer In ProShot you do get the 5 MP picture from the camera, do you know how this one is produced by the camera firmware? Is the oversampling the same that is used in Nokia Pro Cam or is it different if you just grab the 5 MP from the sensor (without zooming in)? Or can you even implement custom oversampling algorithms or these determined by the firmware only?

RiseUpGames
The answer I got from a Nokia dev during a Q&A was that the 5MP image is indeed sampled from the full 41MP sensor output, the exact same produced by Pro Cam's 5MP mode.

LastBattle

May 26, 2012
Visit site
The white balance issue comes from the Xenon Flash going off when not needed.

I've taken quite a lot of indoor shots and photos only appear yellowish if the flash is fired. It looks natural if its not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos