How common are lock-ups?

ImagoX

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Put my 1020 on the night stand last night with 85% charge, then, sometime in the night, it locked up. My alarm never went off and I almost overslept. Volume down+power until buzz seems to have reset the phone just fine (61% charge left). I've had the phone for 5 days. How common are lock-ups like this? Still have 9 days on my trial and want to be sure I made the right choice switching over from my iPhone (which locked up maybe 3 times in the entire time I owned it; we're talking years).

Thanks/

Nicholas Pateman

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Put my 1020 on the night stand last night with 85% charge, then, sometime in the night, it locked up. My alarm never went off and I almost overslept. Volume down+power until buzz seems to have reset the phone just fine (61% charge left). I've had the phone for 5 days. How common are lock-ups like this? Still have 9 days on my trial and want to be sure I made the right choice switching over from my iPhone (which locked up maybe 3 times in the entire time I owned it; we're talking years).

Thanks/

I got a Lumia 1020 the day it was released, no thanks to O2 not even advertising it in the shop. Anyways I've had it lockup twice so far,

1st) I was using the phone, pressed back and it got stuck half way through animating the page flip. I had to soft reset it as it was completely unresponsive for over 15 minutes.
2nd) A couple of days ago it turned off and didn't come back on again. I had to soft reset again but this time with the power lead in, this one really scared the crap out of me as I thought it was bricked. The battery was almost full at the time.

ImagoX

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
2nd) A couple of days ago it turned off and didn't come back on again. I had to soft reset again but this time with the power lead in, this one really scared the crap out of me as I thought it was bricked. The battery was almost full at the time.

This is what happened to me - I did have the power cord plugged in (forgot to mention that). Prior to the reset, plugging in the cord did nothing. ALSO, Some of my Live Tiles did not update even after the soft reset - I had to do another manual power down/power up to "jump start" my tiles again.

Since I'm not 100% certain that some app didn't lock the phone, I went into "Background Tasks" and DISABLED all background functionality restarted the phone, and then re-enabled only my Battery app and LinkedIn (a suggestion on the 920 forums to save battery life and increase stability). All other apps are Blocked from background running, but many of their Live Tiles are updating (I assume this is because that feature is not technically "background running").

Anything else I may want to try/should be doing for max stability and battery life, WinPhone veterans? I love this thing so far; I'd hate to have to "go back to the dark side". :p

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
My 1020 has locked up on me twice since launch. First time was when I was trying to launch HERE Maps. It froze at the title screen and I had to do a soft reset. I've avoided HERE Maps for the most part since then, but it may not have even been related - who knows. Second time was while I left it charging overnight via the AC USB charger. It went to do an email notification using vibration, and got stuck vibrating. Woke me up in the middle of the night. I had to do a soft reset to get it to stop vibrating. Since then I've avoided vibration for the most part, and fully given up overnight charging + USB charging. I now charge only on the DT900 wireless charger, during the day with the phone where I can see it, and I remove the phone from the charging plate immediately after it reaches full charge. The app "Battery Sense" gives me a nice toast notification when it reaches full charge, although sometimes I don't notice it and the phone gets left on for a bit extra. (Yay for missing toast notifications...)

ImagoX

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
What's the reason for quickly disconnecting when full charge is reached? I like leving my phone "on charge" during the day when I'm heavily using it on a power dock...

And what's a "toast" notification? Thanks!

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
According to the phone's manual, you're supposed to stop charging it once it reaches full. This fits with many claims out there that leaving a modern rechargeable battery on the charger at 100% for "a long time" is bad for the long term health of the battery. How bad? Is this really true at all? I don't know. All I know for sure is what little it says in the manual about this. Given that the battery is non-replaceable, I'd like to keep it in the best condition I can. Who knows though, this strategy could actually be making things worse by making it go through more charging cycles than it otherwise would.

With my previous phone, a Samsung Focus S, I would throw it on the charger every night, take it off in the morning, and leave it plugged in sometimes while doing intensive stuff. It had a removable battery which I replaced after about a year due to what I thought was a noticeable decrease in capacity. I don't know for sure what was going on with it but, just in case, I'm trying a different strategy this time around.

A toast notification on Windows Phone is shown as a blue bar at the top of the display. It generally appears at (or as near as possible to) the moment an event of interest occurs. It includes an app icon and a message. You can tap it to open the related app. If you don't, it goes away on its own after a few seconds and is gone forever. There's no way to see it again. If you happened to be looking away for a few seconds, you'll never know what it said. You might not even know that it ever showed up if you didn't hear a sound. It seems to be Microsoft's view that the little numbers on the live tiles are supposed to be an acceptable substitute for a UI that shows a history of these notifications. This is one of the main gripes that a lot of people have with Windows Phone, and it doesn't seem to be getting addressed in the next release (GDR3).

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Every phone/computer/tablet I've ever owned has locked up at some point. That said, I have not read the 1020 has more than any other device in this area. As always, the people with issues are the ones that speak up.

ImagoX

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
All good to know, thanks... I've always assumed that modern, Lithium Ion batteries do NOT have the same issues as older, lead-acid ones (which did absolutely have issues with diminished capacity if left on-charge for long periods of time), but by the same token, repeatedly discharging/recharging should not hurt a LithIon battery either so better safe than sorry...

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I used my Samsung Focus S for 2 years without it ever locking up once. My 1020 locked up twice in the first month. Anecdotes are of limited use, but in the absence of other reliable data it is natural to seek them. Unfortunately, the only parties that might have access to reliable reliability data on a large sample size of actual devices are probably not willing to share that information with anyone. I'm talking about Microsoft, Nokia, and carriers.

As for lithium ion batteries, I make no assumptions that they are similar in any way to other battery chemistries.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb