My 1st and only drop!

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
And my screen is finished!

Screen not only has a crack diagonally down the screen, but the bottom right and the top left is missing!

I'm kind of hurt. Do I place an insurance claim... or just forget about it and wait for the next Lumia.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
We need pictures so we can better share your pain. Do the insurance claim Brow. It will be a while before you get a shot at a phone with a camera like that. Get the next Gen Nokia for sure but you have to keep a 1020 it's a one of a kind device

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
If you have an insurance, better file for a claim, pain in bum to live with a cracked phone specially when you pay for your insurance.

benxiaolinren

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear that.
You are not the last person.
It happened to me 3 days ago. First ever drop, the screen shattered. My heart was cracked at the same time. Only used the 1020 for a month so far.
My 920 dropped few times before, never had anything happened to it. But 1020 is just too weak.
I didn't buy the device protection plan, so I just ordered a screen from ebay for $170 :_( to replace it myself.

Sorry to hear, D... you're the last person I'd want something like this to happen to...

Cache

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
That blows. My 1020 fell at least 5 feet onto hard concrete, not a scratch on it. But I learned my lesson and now I wear mine around my neck with some parachute cord attached to the wrist strap lanyard. Won't be dropping this one again.

poken1151

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear! But what kinda fall caused that damage? I know sometimes it's not what it falls on but what angle the device/screen hits it... Any pics?

liin

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear! But what kinda fall caused that damage? I know sometimes it's not what it falls on but what angle the device/screen hits it... Any pics?

Freak fall. All glass, including bullet proof ones, will crack if hit from its edge. This phone screen's edge is sealed within its metal housing. Probably a drop where the entire impact rest on just one point along the edge ( as opposed to distributed along the edge on flat ground ), like maybe on edge of concrete stairs. But housing can never be 100% perfect fit, there'll be a few spots where there's some 0.0002mm gap, so there's room for the housing to bend and hit the edge of screen. And maybe the drop hit one of those spots ( and only that spot, not along the edge ).

In short, you don't have to worry about dropping this phone.

Deaconclgi

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Wow...my friend dropped her less than a month old 1020....ONE DROP....screen shattered. Hmmmmmmmm......makes me wonder. I come from a long lineage of Nokia smartphones and my Nokia N8 has been dropped several times on tile and concrete, no screen protector or case and the screen is like new. That phone has Gorilla Glass, as in Version 1. I am surprised at the amount of one drop screen shatters, same spider web pattern on her screen.

Something is fishy here....I have seriously never seen so many reports of cracked screens on Nokia's in one drop.....

I always use my 1020 with the lanyard but now I am will have to be extra careful as I now know it wasn't just an issue with her phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte