DXO-Mark review of the Lumia 1020

frank ha

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
That review of the z1 is just plain wrong. How come they scored xenon flash lower than led? And the weird thing is that they test it in half a meter distance from the object, not further. Something fishy that made the test in favour of z1.
most of my friends who got z1 are extremely disappointed with the z1 lowlight capability, even with the newest firmware. The newest z1 firmware has lessen the noises. Daylight shots are great but when it shoot at night time, it fails. Blurry pictures and washed out images.

Tech friend

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes, there is some static sound, it is quite audible when played over the phone. But it is barely audible when played on the PC unless you set the volume at very high levels. It is somehow louder if you set bass filter to "Strong". But it wouldn't bother me since it is still quite soft and should easily be covered by ambient sound. You can check out the sample video here.
Thank you for having made time for providing that video.

The static tone's volume I get recorded with my device is significantly louder and annoying, settings don't play any role.

I think I will exchange my 1020 next week. Hopefully the new one will operate better.

Knut_H

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for having made time for providing that video.

The static tone's volume I get recorded with my device is significantly louder and annoying, settings don't play any role.

I think I will exchange my 1020 next week. Hopefully the new one will operate better.

My 1020's camera is emitting static noise as well.This seems be common to all Lumia 1020s, but the volume varies greatly.
In my case, the noise is especially loud and of an abhorrent frequency with overtones. For reference, I've uploaded the video below, recorded in a completely silent room. Is the noise on your 1020 equally bad? I've returned mine, but we will see whether this will be accepted as a defect/DOA so that a replacement can be issued...

Tech friend

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
For reference, I've uploaded the video below, recorded in a completely silent room. Is the noise on your 1020 equally bad?
Yes, it is very similar (loudness as well as frequency).

By the way, that noise was also criticized (and can be heard clearly) in the Phones Show 206: Lumia 1020 - First look (mp4 video, 194 MB. The 1020-review begins around 08'45, the complaint about the camera noise around 10'00).

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
My 1020's camera is emitting static noise as well.This seems be common to all Lumia 1020s, but the volume varies greatly.
In my case, the noise is especially loud and of an abhorrent frequency with overtones. For reference, I've uploaded the video below, recorded in a completely silent room. Is the noise on your 1020 equally bad? I've returned mine, but we will see whether this will be accepted as a defect/DOA so that a replacement can be issued...

WP 20130323 23 33 15 Pro (lydtest) - YouTube

I listened to the above video with double the volume to what I usually use on youtube, and the sound is still not very obvious to me. I guess I can understand why this can be disconcerting since the room is silent, but the noise in that video hardly sounds loud to me even at a much higher volume level. And if there is some other background sound present I'm pretty sure this would be totally drowned out. But I guess this is subjective and up to you how you feel about this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos