Nokia 1020 Blurry edges on photos and rattling when shaking the phone

simme_90

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I recently bought a Nokia 1020 and i suspect that there are something wrong with the camera. The quality of the photos that i take are, in my opinion, nowhere near the ones you can se in reviews and those released by Nokia.

To me it looks like it's only the middle part of every photo that is correctly focused. The edges are very blurry. I have no case on the phone, no dirt on the lens and i have tried to reset the camera and reboot, no difference.

I will attach some photos on which I think you can see it clearly. The images are very sharp in the middle but when you move towards the edges it quickly becomes blurry. Both pictures are taken in daylight with Nokia Pro Cam, all settings on auto.

The pictures are the high resolution version:
FileSnack | Easy file sharing

Is this really normal, i can't recall that I have had these issues on point-and-shoot cameras?

I also noticed that there are a rattling sound when i shake the phone or put it down on a table. I know that the lens is suspended in a "ball-bearing" so this is normal if the camera app are closed, however I get this sound even when the camera app is open and the camera has locked focus. I'm pretty sure the sound is coming from the camera optics. Is this normal?

//Simon

Tech friend

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
The edges are very blurry. [...snip...] The images are very sharp in the middle but when you move towards the edges it quickly becomes blurry.
I didn't look at your pictures, but blurry edges under certain circumstances have been noted:

High-resolution mode, ISO 100
While the 1020?s lens is sharp across most of the frame, the corners are soft. This is exaggerated in 16:9 and high resolution mode, but in most real-world situations it?s not a problem.
Taken from here. Please read this web page in full.

KnightOfAnfala

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I am also not that satisfied with the pictures I took with my 2 day old 1020. They're OK, but nowhere near the quality of the pictures uploaded to the stickied sample pics thread. Either I'm just really lousy at taking pics or there's something wrong with my unit. The weird thing though is unlike the OP, I can't hear any rattling when I shake my phone. I tried shaking it the minute I read my warning flyer about blur free photos etc, but there's no rattling AT ALL. How noticeable is the rattling supposed to be?

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Have you manually tried changing the focus on the pictures using the pro cam app ?

Also the rattle is normal since the OIS system on the 1020 use ball bearings. your phone should have come with a flyer from nokia stating this.

ALex Susky

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I am also not that satisfied with the pictures I took with my 2 day old 1020. They're OK, but nowhere near the quality of the pictures uploaded to the stickied sample pics thread. Either I'm just really lousy at taking pics or there's something wrong with my unit. The weird thing though is unlike the OP, I can't hear any rattling when I shake my phone. I tried shaking it the minute I read my warning flyer about blur free photos etc, but there's no rattling AT ALL. How noticeable is the rattling supposed to be?

Dude the rattling is the balls inside that keep the camera steady when it takes the shot. That's one of the reasons it takes such good photos. If you have no rattling then you most definitely got a dysfunctional unit

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I recently bought a Nokia 1020 and i suspect that there are something wrong with the camera. The quality of the photos that i take are, in my opinion, nowhere near the ones you can se in reviews and those released by Nokia.

To me it looks like it's only the middle part of every photo that is correctly focused. The edges are very blurry. I have no case on the phone, no dirt on the lens and i have tried to reset the camera and reboot, no difference.

I will attach some photos on which I think you can see it clearly. The images are very sharp in the middle but when you move towards the edges it quickly becomes blurry. Both pictures are taken in daylight with Nokia Pro Cam, all settings on auto.

The pictures are the high resolution version:

Is this really normal, i can't recall that I have had these issues on point-and-shoot cameras?

I also noticed that there are a rattling sound when i shake the phone or put it down on a table. I know that the lens is suspended in a "ball-bearing" so this is normal if the camera app are closed, however I get this sound even when the camera app is open and the camera has locked focus. I'm pretty sure the sound is coming from the camera optics. Is this normal?

//Simon

The blurring on the edges of some photos exists moreso if you are focusing in the centre of the picture - this way the OIS works to stabilise the centre of the image i.e. the OIS will try to keep the area of focus (in this case the centre) stationary more so the area focus isn't as blurry. If you go into the Nokia Camera app, and half-press the shutter button and tilt the phone left and right a bit you will notice the image onscreen tilts slightly left and right, yet the centre of the image is relatively stable, almost like a pivoting point. This is how the OIS in the 1020 works.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss