The 1020 with external lenses - DIY

landcameras

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I have some ideas... I ordered some parts today for a new prototype that solves the offset problem. honestly I can live with the offset with the macro lens, its not that bad. But my whole motivation was to do this for a decent telephoto for concert video work. and as you can see above, that is total garbage.

hiko36

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Would you be willing to do the mods if we shipped our camera grips to you? I figure if you can get it right, I would rather have someone that knows what they're doing modify the grip.

landcameras

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Would you be willing to do the mods if we shipped our camera grips to you? I figure if you can get it right, I would rather have someone that knows what they're doing modify the grip.

Yes, of course. The grip is the majority of the cost of the thing. plus I don't want to buy xxx camera grips!
Quite a bit of my business is from repairs. When and if I get this thing going, there will be a repair intake form that gets submitted online. You will print that out and include it with your grip so I know who belongs to what.

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I just ordered these on Amazon -they're magnetic so i'm thinking they'll just attach right over the lens itself

Amazon.com: Patuoxun Manget 3 in 1 Fisheye Lens and Wide Angle and Micro Lens Photo Kit Set for iPhone5S iPhone5C iPhone 4 4S 5 Galaxy S2 S3 S4 Note 1 2 HTC One M7: Cell Phones & Accessories

View attachment 49046
when I get them i'll take some pictures and post them

will these work? I thought the round black bit at the back isn't metal. Also, magnetic will effect the ball bearings inside?

landcameras

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Assuming you're talking about the original topic of this thread... I'll update here when its ready. There is a lot of interest in the lens package so I don't want to release a product that can't stand up to some abuse and use.

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
OK - so the the kit arrived.. initial thoughts seem to indicate it's not messing with the OIS ... but even so, the magnet is on the lens itself, so when the lens is off the phone there should be no issues at all with magnetic inteference

I did need to stick the little disc on the case - was hoping it would just attach to the phone, but nope - it looks ok - could have done with being a black ring, but blue doesn't look too bad on the phone

WIN_20131110_124146.JPG

now here are a couple of shots - one without the lens

WP_20131110_12_37_57_Pro.jpg

now with the macro lens attached

WP_20131110_12_37_19_Pro.jpg

you need to hold the phone *really* close to your subject though for the macro lens

psyfreaki

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
just have ordered one for my lumia 1020, looking forward to test it out. quick note, that blue ring kindda looks cool, reminds me portal :p

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
OK - so the the kit arrived.. initial thoughts seem to indicate it's not messing with the OIS ... but even so, the magnet is on the lens itself, so when the lens is off the phone there should be no issues at all with magnetic inteference

I did need to stick the little disc on the case - was hoping it would just attach to the phone, but nope - it looks ok - could have done with being a black ring, but blue doesn't look too bad on the phone

View attachment 49298

now here are a couple of shots - one without the lens

View attachment 49299

now with the macro lens attached

View attachment 49300

you need to hold the phone *really* close to your subject though for the macro lens
oh wow. that is an impressive micro shot! you not did any cropping/framing that photo did you? Got a hires version of it?
Got any telephoto shots?
That blue ring - is that to stick the magnet onto it or to stick the lens onto it?

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks!! no - that was the 5MPixel shot uploaded as-is .. I also have the pro file as well (it's about 9MB) It only comes with the macro, wide angle and fish-eye lenses. I'll have to give the other two a go sometime

The blue 'portal' ring (I googled it after that comment, and yeah - it's totally like portal) is just metal, it's to stick the magnetic on the lens to the phone. It won't stick to the phone without it.

liin

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
That was what I thought Nokia should have done in the first place when they made the camera grip. Not for lens adapters but for screw on ND filters and polarizers.

But then when I was thinking how it should have been designed, I realized why they didn't do it. The camera flash will be inside the lens or filters if the thread is on that case's opening. I still won't mind it since I never use flash. But I guess Nokia had to avoid returns on customers not understanding that and blame it on the case.

On the note on your attachment lens producing unwanted weird effects, it's not your attachment design, it's the lens being attached. Digital sensors do not take stray lights entering at non perpendicular well, unlike film ( which is why it had been a challenge to do full frame with similar sized 35mm lens and Contax Zeiss had to go to medium format lens to do full frame back in the days, and we had to have smaller sensor for 35mm sized lens ). So lens are designed specifically for certain sensors, how those sensors receive light, and work on their advantage, while minimizing defects. Almost all attachment lens has no capacity to go through that design and engineering process. Anyways, just pointing out it's the lens attached, it's curvature, it's coating, etc. and not your idea/design.

Lightrain

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Just found this: Stuff from my brain or camera

It looks pretty good. The lens is centered.

IMHO there's no way to mod the camera grip to both have the lens centered and not destroy the hole of the grip. If we want to use the grip, we need to mod it heavily, and it may look too ugly, unless there are some magical ways to "move" the hole of the grip a few milimeters to the right.

I think we should be fine with modding a 5$ back cover, as seen in the link above.

frank ha

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I have made a prototype of the filter holder. I still need to find the right screws to hold the clamps and I forgot to make a tripod screw hole underneath. :eck:

Untitled by Robobit, on Flickr

Result using cheap macro lens

Standard macro no zoom, no macro lens.

WP_20131118_10_33_45_Pro.jpg by Robobit, on Flickr

Macro +2 Lens

WP_20131118_10_24_45_Pro.jpg by Robobit, on Flickr

Macro +4 Lens

WP_20131118_10_27_48_Pro.jpg by Robobit, on Flickr

Macro +10 Lens

WP_20131118_10_30_19_Pro.jpg by Robobit, on Flickr

More the "+", shorter of the distance which I have to take the picture, ie. normally without macro lens, I have to take 15cm of the minimum distance from the object, meanwhile with macro +2, I need to take around 7-8cm of distance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)