The 1020 with external lenses - DIY

JaniM

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
I have an ongoing project to attach my Lumia 1020 just about anything. I purchased a cheap car phone holder for 1020 and modified it so that it can attach to different kinds of fixings via four screws or bolts. The project is on hold for now because I'm still waiting to get my phone back from warranty repair. I may post some photos and information later.

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Look forward to seeing what you can come up with. If it attaches to a telescope I imagine the results could be quite spectacular.

JaniM

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
Look forward to seeing what you can come up with. If it attaches to a telescope I imagine the results could be quite spectacular.

I hope so. I tried that few years ago with my Nokia N9. The problem was that autofocus just didn't work properly for about 9 times of 10. With Lumia 1020 there shouldn't be that kind of a problem thanks to manually adjustable focus. I need to test the focusing ability of Lumia 1020 with a telescope before I start doing the metalwork to attach the phone holder to telescope.

This is the holder I use for my projects. The "plate" can be detached from that air vent thing and then it just works like a phone case that can be fixed to things.

DestinyJoe

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
I am very interested in your lens protector/cover/External lens For the Nokia 1020. I can understand why they can build such a fine device that people would want for a dedicated camera, then fall short without a lens cover. Like a Rolls-Royce without a RR hood ornament. Oh well

tld1992

May 5, 2015
Visit site
You wouldn't be happening to still be making these lens kits or have any extra ones on hand possibly would you? I'm dying to get one.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I've seen this exact attachment in ebay. However, the variants I saw came with a clamp-like structure that holds onto the sides of the phone (just like a monopod attachment). The one in the photo you posted could either be specially designed for the L1020 case shown... or it was just made to stand on the phone to make it look like it's attached.

BTW, about modding the camera grip (as in post #1): although this may seem convenient, note that if one will be attaching a lens that would fit the entire diameter of the hole of the camera grip, the axis of the lens attachment will not be aligned with the axis of the lens of the camera itself. This may lead to unwanted distortions and chromatic aberration. My suggestion would be getting one of those lenses that can be attached using a grip that holds onto the sides of the phone like a clamp of a monopod attachment - this way, the attachment lens can be aligned properly with the main camera lens (as in post #129).

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I've seen this exact attachment in ebay. However, the variants I saw came with a clamp-like structure that holds onto the sides of the phone (just like a monopod attachment). The one in the photo you posted could either be specially designed for the L1020 case shown... or it was just made to stand on the phone to make it look like it's attached.

BTW, about modding the camera grip (as in post #1): although this may seem convenient, note that if one will be attaching a lens that would fit the entire diameter of the hole of the camera grip, the axis of the lens attachment will not be aligned with the axis of the lens of the camera itself. This may lead to unwanted distortions and chromatic aberration. My suggestion would be getting one of those lenses that can be attached using a grip that holds onto the sides of the phone like a clamp of a monopod attachment - this way, the attachment lens can be aligned properly with the main camera lens (as in post #129).

I glued a 62 mm adapter ring and aligned it to be centered with the camera lens. so no distortion for me ;)

raggedy b

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone come across the Beast Grip,not available at the moment as far as I'm aware but made in America I believe and the mrk 2 model possibly coming out this summer

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a telescopic lens. I'm more interested in macros

Yes, I was just going to mention that those are macro shots (not telephoto). :cool:

Good ones, though I think a little post processing could've made them a bit better. But if you were using the lens you were referring to, then it seems to be working just fine - no distortions. :wink:

I've got a jeweler's loupe and watch maker's loupe that can be used for macro shots - what I don't have right now is a compact telephoto lens - but your lens has better results than what I have so far. :smile:

rezoloot

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Has any of you guys seen this, talk about going the extra length, look for these words
A Nokia Lumia 1020 powers this automated 3D-printed telescope

Its just piggin awesome, I want one badly

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone come across the Beast Grip,not available at the moment as far as I'm aware but made in America I believe and the mrk 2 model possibly coming out this summer

I see you're question and raise you one beast grip. I got one of the originals from Chalenko (chap behind it) and love it.

I have modified it to accommodate the Nokia camera grip also for the extra battery and shutter button. I press the shutter with my thumb when holding.

Check out my Flickr for more photos but here are some for reference. (www.Flickr.com/crasstoe)

0b7c2a6c7c6dbd3ea6c56c6abc57e499.jpg

ba03088eea89cff045c978614b4cb9e5.jpg

393e657d85fcdf284d49ba4872bb0545.jpg

018ac53b547ae95669f6690526a67a3a.jpg

74a5c098de372791e98a5be645dedd6e.jpg

2f5d5416519aec7f4e1d077aa7d92847.jpg

af8bb9eb59e5d2a696b6ec62a51c08d7.jpg

raggedy b

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried it with a telephoto lens,like the idea of taking my phone to a race meeting and getting close shots,used it at the tt last year and as a phone camera it took some ok shots

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro