Lumia 1020 Hype

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The point was that your disagreement was neither new nor a surprise. There is no need to repeat it over and over again.

I'm free to express my views (which I don't think was offensive) just as you are free to express yours. No need to be agitated about something trivial like this.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I've had my 1020 for a couple weeks and I don't think I will keep it.

After processing over 400 photos I have noticed that most are terrible and only a few turn out. I can't believe how much blur and noise I have with photos in bright daylight. I compared a number of similar shots in similar environments and shooting settings between my 808 and the 1020. The 1020 produced very few noise free images compared to my 808 at full resolution even at 100 ISO. It not even close.
I'm not a new photographer and I know how to set up my shots but I find it so challenging to get a photo to turn out nicely.
The white balance indoors is brutal compared to my 808 and my iPhone and S4 but that's sow thing I can live with.

I also noticed my 808 compresses photos at 300 pixels/inch while the 1020 is only 72! That's hardly a pixel density for printing photos. I really wish I would have kept my 808. Nokia this is sad. I expected better than this given how long I waited for this phone.

I wish I could stay around but I can't swallow what was produced knowing that last years tech was much better. I really love this phone and WP but I am sadly disappointed.

Sorry to hear that blue1k.

My experiences with the 1020 have mostly been very positive.

The image processing quality needs a little work and I'm confident future updates will see some improvements. Photos are not as sharp as the 808 produces and that is a real shame. You would think that the metaphorical successor to the 808 would be on par or even better in terms of quality but it just isn't the case.

That isn't to say that the 1020 is a lemon in terms of photography. I've taken some outstanding photos on the 1020 and some of the photos you have posted on the photos thread have been first rate. I haven't had to delete many either. Just the ones that were too ambitious for the 1020 like the attempted photos of the moon and the many taken whilst trying to capture drips from a tap but that is down to luck with timing than anything to do with the 1020 itself.

Have you passed on your feedback to Nokia and/or Microsoft? The more people who provide constructive feedback, the more chance we have of some positive changes being made.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear that blue1k.

My experiences with the 1020 have mostly been very positive.

The image processing quality needs a little work and I'm confident future updates will see some improvements. Photos are not as sharp as the 808 produces and that is a real shame. You would think that the metaphorical successor to the 808 would be on par or even better in terms of quality but it just isn't the case.

That isn't to say that the 1020 is a lemon in terms of photography. I've taken some outstanding photos on the 1020 and some of the photos you have posted on the photos thread have been first rate. I haven't had to delete many either. Just the ones that were too ambitious for the 1020 like the attempted photos of the moon and the many taken whilst trying to capture drips from a tap but that is down to luck with timing than anything to do with the 1020 itself.

Have you passed on your feedback to Nokia and/or Microsoft? The more people who provide constructive feedback, the more chance we have of some positive changes being made.

That pretty much reflects my sentiments on this as well. Most of my shots came out right the first time, except if they weren't framed correctly or if I was too ambitious with lowlight shots, as I like to manually fix the ISO to 100 and use very slow shutter down to 1/3 seconds hence may have to try a few times until I get a sharp picture. In fact, I would argue that the 1020 requires even less work than the 808, which I often had to add saturation or boost the shadows due to its poor dynamic range. Whereas for scenes with high dynamic range the 1020 handles it a lot better.

Agee also about talking to the Nokia folks on this. Damian and Juha have been very responsive on twitter and you can often get answers from them if you need to clarify anything. You can even give constructive feedback if you think there are areas they can improve on. That's one thing I really like about the Nokia imaging team, they engage. Good luck trying that with Samsung or Apple.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Well I for one am very happy about the raw support being added. And an additional jpeg processing update apparently being available on some 1020s

I also noticed that CameraPro takes less yellow photos at full resolution but the app is far too buggy for regular use.

The majority of my photos are portraits so I've resorted to Camera 360 and ProShot for now.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I would like to see some of these noise plagued photos. I know a few people who have the 1020 and they love the freaking thing. And from some of the amazing shots they have with their phone I would go as far to say that it is downright amazing.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Well I for one am very happy about the raw support being added. And an additional jpeg processing update apparently being available on some 1020s

I also noticed that CameraPro takes less yellow photos at full resolution but the app is far too buggy for regular use.

The majority of my photos are portraits so I've resorted to Camera 360 and ProShot for now.

Have you seen the latest update blue1k?

ProCam has been updated to incorporate SmartCam by default. More options for timer delays have been added and users have reported improved post-processing although I haven't been able to test this myself.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Nokia Camera just got released - any difference so far?

SmartCam is integrated plus there's more options for shutter delay (2, 5 and 10 seconds). Not sure I like the changes to focus assist settings. It was easier to manage from the flash settings.

There have been reports on improved processing but I haven't tested this as yet.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
SmartCam is integrated plus there's more options for shutter delay (2, 5 and 10 seconds). Not sure I like the changes to focus assist settings. It was easier to manage from the flash settings.

There have been reports on improved processing but I haven't tested this as yet.

I'm wondering if there are any under the hood changes. It does feel a tad faster to load.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I would like to see some of these noise plagued photos. I know a few people who have the 1020 and they love the freaking thing. And from some of the amazing shots they have with their phone I would go as far to say that it is downright amazing.

Sure I'll add some to my flickr including various crop under 100 iso and compare it to my 808 samples :)

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Stay with it man they are allowing RAW photos in the next update.

Yup. I decided I will keep it. I over reacted but am happy after seeing how much progress Nokia is making in the camera software after last days announcements and welcome any improvements. :)
I've been a long term Android and iPhone user and basically test phones. Have tried over 106 phones over the last few years and I really am impressed with the build quality of the 1020.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Yup. I decided I will keep it. I over reacted but am happy after seeing how much progress Nokia is making in the camera software after last days announcements and welcome any improvements. :)

I've no doubts that Nokia has been working hard to improve the user experience. I've written to them before on some suggestions and they actually implemented them within weeks!

I've been a long term Android and iPhone user and basically test phones. Have tried over 106 phones over the last few years and I really am impressed with the build quality of the 1020.

You test phones literally (part of work), or figuratively as part of daily use? I've been fortunate that I haven't done too many drop tests on my phones :)

TheCrazySwede

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I tried another application that shoots in full resolution and it produces far clearer photos (CameraPro) than the standard Nokia app. So it definitely is a software issue and not my device. :)

Are you implying that you've been using the standard Camera app? The only app that allows full-res images is Nokia's Pro Cam app. I heard it got an update that morphs it with the Smart Cam App.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
They said early 2014 for the black update.. but maybe they can "leak" it before.

I am very excited about this:

We talk imaging with Nokia?€™s Juha Alakarhu and get a hands-on with Nokia?€™s new Refocus app | Windows Phone Central

Nokia has been very consistent with taking camera tech for future phones and applying them to devices already on the market. Case in point, new algorithms has been developed for the Lumia 1020 that will come when Lumia Black ships. The algorithms center on the oversampling magic that Nokia uses when making images from the 41 megapixels on the Lumia 1020. You’ll see improvements in how your Lumia 1020 handles tone mapping and noise filtering. These algorithms have basically been built from the ground up and Juha tells us your Lumia 1020 will feel like a new device when you get Lumia Black. He was most proud of how they’ve improved the noise results in the Lumia 1020. Your pictures will look much more natural."

It really needed a lot of work and it seems like they knew :) This sounds like the 1020 might behave more like the 808 then...

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
RAW won't help much here because the main problem of 1020 is bad optics (soft corners etc.) so they have to rework the hardware first...also what would be shot-to-shot time for RAW pictures, 1 minute, 2 minutes?! Too much fuss...

Difference in sensor size is not really that big.

well, the 1020 lies just in between 808&N8 so not exactly small difference either, even if you account for different aperture

You are saying that you can get the 808 to look sharp if you max out the sharpness. Damian Dinning claimed (his article published on Pureviewclub) that you can get similar clean and pure look on 1020 if you do some post-processing in Photoshop :) So we're even :)

hm what takes less, a few seconds for choosing another mode on 808(let's say you have saved "1020 mode" under C3 setting) or few minutes for PPing in PS? Too much fuss again...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss