Lumia 1020 Hype

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Well I am liking the noise reduction algorithm on some of those 1520 shots.. if that is anything to go by.. the 1020 will get that much needed bump in IQ.

Nothing you can do about the optics, but less noise/grain will help a lot with the overall IQ.

201310222148kD0X3S.jpg

well, the 1020 lies just in between 808&N8 so not exactly small difference either, even if you account for different aperture

That is correct, which is also where it's sensor fits in terms of size.

D50 VS Lumia 1020 - a set on Flickr
Just look at mine finding ..no it isnt perfect but far from a hype

The 1020 images are resized down to almost 2Mpix...

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Are you implying that you've been using the standard Camera app? The only app that allows full-res images is Nokia's Pro Cam app. I heard it got an update that morphs it with the Smart Cam App.

Yes . But CameraPro also shoots full resolution. It's the only other app I found other than the stock Nokia app

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
1st picture is very nice, 2nd is bad no matter conditions

When you consider the sensor size it was taken with, 1/2.5 and its not so bad.. whatever they did there would have very positive effects on the 1020.. at least that's what I am guessing.

Great news vlad0.

Can't wait!!

Yes, I've been saying that the 1020 is underperforming from the very beginning... considering the sensor size the noise levels should be lower than where they are at the moment. Same goes for grain.

So it will be nice for them to max out the available hardware.. just like they did with the 808.. still no manual shutter speed on that one but other than that I think its maxed out.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
RAW won't help much here because the main problem of 1020 is bad optics (soft corners etc.) so they have to rework the hardware first.....

Some of them are pretty bad.. I was looking trough these

Nokia Lumia 1020 church 34MP | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

this is right side on the 1020
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7418/10388721974_c80e378a37_o.jpg
gYYyEVk.jpg

This is the right side of 808
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3765/10388720315_13dbf3139a_o.jpg
Phrgs8K.jpg

There are some 808s out there that exhibit similar behavior, but never as extreme as this.

It affects a pretty big chunk of the image
xv9VXno.jpg

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Been using the 1020 for about a month now and can only describe it as... amazing. Firstly, you gotta remember it is a phone. Secondly, pixel level image quality is actually very low on the list of requirements for enjoying the beauty of a photograph. I take photos for a living and is the only way I feed my family. For what the 1020 can do, for anyone to call it a disappointment is pretty melodramatic imo. No, it doesn't compare to my pro dslr body that cost 13 times more than the 1020 but I don't expect it to.

I have a couple threads going where I push the limits of the 1020, and it has really impressed me thusfar. I even did a paid shoot with it!

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
^ Its a very capable device.. we are discussing small technicalities that won't bother most people. The only vocal bunch in this case are people who have an 808.. its a reference point and its hard to downgrade.

Just imagine yourself going from the 1020 back to a Nokia N8 .. this is almost how I feel about the 1020 vs. 808 thing

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
^ Its a very capable device.. we are discussing small technicalities that won't bother most people. The only vocal bunch in this case are people who have an 808.. its a reference point and its hard to downgrade.

Just imagine yourself going from the 1020 back to a Nokia N8 .. this is almost how I feel about the 1020 vs. 808 thing

That's very subjective. For me, going from N8 to the 808 had been a tremendous upgrade, and I also consider moving from the 808 to 1020 to be an improvement, although not to the same extent as N8 to 808. The big wins to me is the far better lowlight performance and OIS. I also like the sharper images versus the 808. I guess maybe I'm not as hardcore or purist like some here, I don't subscribe to any religion when it comes to so-called "purity". But of course I can definitely see the value of having the option to have more 808-like images versus the current implementation. I've been arguing for some time now that it seems to be mostly a matter of image processing algorithm in the software and something that Nokia can cater for in future if they so wish to. Great if they can, but I still enjoy the images as they are currently.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
That's very subjective. For me, going from N8 to the 808 had been a tremendous upgrade, and I also consider moving from the 808 to 1020 to be an improvement, although not to the same extent as N8 to 808. The big wins to me is the far better lowlight performance and OIS. I also like the sharper images versus the 808. I guess maybe I'm not as hardcore or purist like some here, I don't subscribe to any religion when it comes to so-called "purity". But of course I can definitely see the value of having the option to have more 808-like images versus the current implementation. I've been arguing for some time now that it seems to be mostly a matter of image processing algorithm in the software and something that Nokia can cater for in future if they so wish to. Great if they can, but I still enjoy the images as they are currently.

learning how to shoot magnificient low light photos and increase sharpness takes several minutes, how could anyone interested in photography ignore manual mode is beyond me

difference between auto and manual mode in 808 case is literally night&day

You forgot OIS. Oh wait, that's the 1020...

adding OIS on 808 would add some weight which would make it not that pocketable and easy to talk with, also there is sometimes a rattle from ball bearings when you shoot a video, not having OIS in 808 case is what I call a good compromise

chernee99

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Having OIS does make a huge difference in very low light. Check out the two samples below, both were taken hand-held. The 1020 with 1/2s, the 808 with 1/8s. That's about the best of my ability to hold the phones without major blurring. With tripod (or other external support) of course it's a different story, but hand-held, the 1020 will give you a brighter picture.

1020:
WP_20131023_20_01_12_Pro | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
808:
2012-06-13-0378 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

By the way both pictures were taken on different days, but around the same time of the day with similar lighting conditions. The 808's exposure is closer to the actual lighting, but the 1020's being brighter looks much better (although I also took another picture with 1020 around -1EV).

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the 1020 will keep the shutter open for longer and that helps for sure. But still, if you want to blur lights, movement, etc. you will have to put it on a tripod. I don't think OIS can help you keep it steady for a second or two ? But maybe, I haven't had the chance to try it.

I shot a few low light shots with my 808 last week, but had to use a tiny tripod.. otherwise its impossible. Still, at 50iso they turn out very clean and that Toshiba sensor is very sensitive to light it seems.

-----

The 1020 has manual shutter speed control, and its also longer.. 2.7secs for the 808 and 4secs for the 1020.. you can really have some fun with 4 secs

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I can find external support quite easily in almost all circumstances, exceptions are concerts where I have to hold my hand high or some tricky corners... in those cases I get several pictures varying the ISO. Out of 5 pics one has to come out good :)

chernee99

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I can find external support quite easily in almost all circumstances, exceptions are concerts where I have to hold my hand high or some tricky corners... in those cases I get several pictures varying the ISO. Out of 5 pics one has to come out good :)

Having to rely on external support does restrict your options somewhat. For example, there is a bench somewhere, but it might not be at the correct height or the location may not be ideal to capture the exact frame that you want. Even if you find a support at the correct height and placement, you may sometimes want to point the camera at a certain vertical angle (e.g. in the linked images, the camera had to face slightly downwards). It almost never works well for me. The OIS removes the need to rely on external support and gives you the freedom to shoot at the angle that you want with less motion blur. But of course, if you can always find external support easily then I can understand why you wouldn't need OIS.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
yeah there are tricky angles but I have found my body to be very good support sometimes :)

agree about framing but that's what we have big resolution for :)

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Another feedback on the Nokia Camera update, apparently it no longer modifies your image when you preview it (apparently it previously made the image softer and with different color when you view it). Anyone else observing the same?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss